Sign in to follow this  
evantwheeler

Fuel Cell Help

The stock tank in my 1977 FJ40 (under passenger seat) needs to be removed for new suspension seats and cage modifications to support seats.  I've been searching for a fuel cell to fit directly behind the new seats and cage and I have about 40.5" between my wheel wells.   The best option I can come up with dimensionally is this Harmon bladder style cell which measures 40" wide x 14" tall x 14" wide at the base and 7" wide at the top.

https://www.harmonracingcells.com/store/p145/22_Gallon_-_CUTE22.html

This is a recreational trail rig, I don't really want to spend $1500 on a custom bladder fuel cell designed for racing but I cannot find anything with similar dimensions on the market.  I've looked through Summit, all of Jaz's offerings, all of RCI's offerings, all of Fuel Safe's (also bladder style cells).  Am I missing any big fuel cell manufacturer?  

Here is another off the shelf option, but I wish it was another 6" wider to utilize available space.  They do make a very nice mount frame to go along with it.  I would have to add the sender myself by drilling into a brand new fuel cell :( This unit is probably $700 with shipping and tax. 

https://www.motobilt.com/product/jeep_yj_fuel_tank_behind_seat_aluminum

Is there anyone in the Inland Empire that builds aluminum tanks to spec that can be recommended?  

If you don't need a real fuel cell have a fuel tank made for it. 

44 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

If you don't need a real fuel cell have a fuel tank made for it. 

This is what I am thinking, but have no idea who to go to for this locally.  I want someone that is familiar with building tanks - as posted above I can get a decent tank and mount for $700, built in the USA, but it's not ideal for my intended space.  

I had a similar issue with my buggy. I had a size and shape in mind and no off the shelf would work for me. I pictured what I wanted, bought sheet metal aluminum I believe it was .100 and cut it all up to what I had in mind. I had one big flat piece that wrapped around in a square C shape and one flat piece that would inlay inside the C channel that closed it to create the body. Then I had flat end caps to seal the sides. I even went as far as adding two baffles inside that were welded in. 

I was happy as can be. Never had done something like it. I had the C channel piece bent 4 times at, if I recall, it was a sheet metal place that did air ducts or something like that. I told them the angles I wanted on them as I needed a 60degree slant. Then, I took it all to get welded up by an expert. He busted it out and it's working perfectly! I love it. cost effective and exactly how I wanted it. Maybe you can take this course? Just sharing my experience is all. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

I had a similar issue with my buggy. I had a size and shape in mind and no off the shelf would work for me. I pictured what I wanted, bought sheet metal aluminum I believe it was .100 and cut it all up to what I had in mind. I had one big flat piece that wrapped around in a square C shape and one flat piece that would inlay inside the C channel that closed it to create the body. Then I had flat end caps to seal the sides. I even went as far as adding two baffles inside that were welded in. 

I was happy as can be. Never had done something like it. I had the C channel piece bent 4 times at, if I recall, it was a sheet metal place that did air ducts or something like that. I told them the angles I wanted on them as I needed a 60degree slant. Then, I took it all to get welded up by an expert. He busted it out and it's working perfectly! I love it. cost effective and exactly how I wanted it. Maybe you can take this course? Just sharing my experience is all. Good luck!

I can certainly design, fabricate, and weld my own tank,  and as a matter of fact the shop next door is a metal fab shop and I'm sure I could work something out to have the guys teach me how to use a press brake so I'm not welding every dang seam.  To be honest, I'm not looking to make this into a 3 weekend fuel tank build project so don't have a problem paying.  

You can weld and fabricate, and have a welding shop next door that can help? Pretty sure this just be same a DIY project.

Or I see plenty of used fuel cells on RDC for $200-$300. Buy one and use it to get you through the next trip and build your own when time allows.

39 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

This was one of the first ones I looked at.  I wish it was 10” wider.  This would definitely work for the time being, and like LRS suggested, I could design and build my own as time allows.  That would give me an excuse to buy a TIG welder and learn how to use it.  Or maybe just a spool gun for my Miller 210.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, evantwheeler said:

I can certainly design, fabricate, and weld my own tank,  and as a matter of fact the shop next door is a metal fab shop and I'm sure I could work something out to have the guys teach me how to use a press brake so I'm not welding every dang seam.  To be honest, I'm not looking to make this into a 3 weekend fuel tank build project so don't have a problem paying.  

Less welding if you make 2 Cs: one bent lengthwise and one bent crosswise. Fit the 2 together and weld the 6 seams on either end. 

When you toss it in your rig, make sure it has a good support frame and try not to mount it directly to the tub. Rubber isolation sheets will help keep it from fatiguing. 

Edited by Rockwood

I bought the motobilt fuel tank and mount posted in the OP.  I don’t have the desire to build my own tank right now, and this tank fits pretty well in my intended space.  I’ll post photos once it’s installed,