ericmccalister

Thoughts on Dunn tech cars

A good friend of mine is considering selling his Dunn tech car the Sean built. Was thinking of possibly grabbing from him but figured I would ask the masses on their opinions. LS2 /2D mid engine. Two inch hollows up front, bypasses all the way around. Thought I remembered reading comments on geometry issues or something in the past. 

Thanks for any info.

We raced against Sean Dunn for a couple seasons in Class 1 in the M.O.R.E. series.

@Roaddog has a Dunn Tech car. I built him a set of trailing arms for it years ago so he could fit it in his toy hauler. 

Anyone I’ve ever met that had one has loved them. I think he’s still in business too. If the guy is your buddy then you should know how well it does or doesn’t handle and how reliable it is or isn’t. 

I had one for years. It was a great car and a ton of fun to drive once I got a few of the bugs worked out of it. Sean had some strange ideas when it came to geometry. 

The car came from the shop with 6 inches of bump steer. We had to cut out and re-locate the rack to fix it, but after we did, I could drive it with one hand all day.

The rear arms were trippy looking, but built such that they had a bunch of dead tubes and all the stress was on one. The rear shock mounts on the arms were in a position that caused them to bind as well. After I had wicked rebuild the arms, and move the tabs, they worked great. 

After I went through the car though, I had a blast driving it. It turned on a dime, and the chassis I had was really lightweight 

Ya depends on what version front arms and spindles it has. Old ball joint version is a pos  breaks easily and rides poorly , it takes a football field to turn around. After purchase we Added a b pillar, rear bumper  and bypass shocks and re located the radiator .It's the only car I've ever seen that mounts the rear shocks on a 1" piece of tubing, and only uses 1/2" bolts to hold on the rear trailing arms. Super long wheelbase car also if it's a mid engine. Fwiw We tried to patch the entire front of my dad's buggy  back together for 4 seasons and finally cut the front off completely aND installed a jp designs  j arm assembly. Now it's great. Depends how much u want to do yourself and if u can buy it cheap .

IMG_20180817_074826770_HDR.jpg

21 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

It's the only car I've ever seen...………………………………….. and only uses 1/2" bolts to hold on the rear trailing arms. 

Can you elaborate on why a 1/2" bolt is not good for this?

Seems way too small to be holding the arms on to the car and the entire weight of the rear end of the vehicle Imo. Tabs are too thin to handle a larger bolt also.

Thank you all for your input. Any specifics areas items to look out for? The car has been very reliable and he has never had any major issues. 

If it has ball joints from a karmN Ghia attaching the a arms to the spindles  don't plan on driving too fast otherwise the tire will land on the hood ask me how I know...

We had a few in our old group, they all loved them and had very few issues. 

Biggest POS I’ve ever owned. Front a arms will fold back and break in any serious witches eye at 5mph. If it was free, I’d leave it on the curb after I pulled out the motor. As you can see I’m just not a fan. 

Basically feel the same as dwb!

I cannot speak to the durability of them.. What I can say is that 90% of the ones I have ever seen, are not easy on the eye.  Which means if and when you’d ever try to offload it, it will be a tough sell..Unless you are getting the most rediculous deal ever, I think there are way better cars out there to choose from, that will hold their value far better..

On 2/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, SCHMIDTY said:

I cannot speak to the durability of them.. What I can say is that 90% of the ones I have ever seen, are not easy on the eye.  Which means if and when you’d ever try to offload it, it will be a tough sell..Unless you are getting the most rediculous deal ever, I think there are way better cars out there to choose from, that will hold their value far better..

Exactly, Nothing worse than trying to unload something and not getting any action on the ad.

No action, like having to bump it 13,000 time by yourself for a year and a half, while settling in at half of what your originally asked for?

Amen to that, k&r, kinda like asking more than 20,000 for a quick sand car it's hard to get your money back later, no matter how much you invest in cool shiny parts to make it fast.

8 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

No action, like having to bump it 13,000 time by yourself for a year and a half, while settling in at half of what your originally asked for?

I feel like I know who you're talking about... 😶

Thanks all for the replies. With all the input I decided to pass and will continue to look. 

Thanks again.

I almost bought the red Dunn tech that was for sale in September in here, after doing some research it looked like the term “dual sport” was used very loosely, and I saw the car at the drags in October and it wasn’t very impressive, glad I passed and bought my s&s!