Sign in to follow this  
WaPaWeKkA

05 Honda 450r

Extremely difficult to start when it is warmed up. Bike will idle but as soon as you go to press the throttle, it stalls. Occasional stalling while going downhill. Smells of fuel when sitting whether gas is on or off. Just a carb rebuild or possibly something else? 

Start with carb. Valve adjustment would be next. 

Rebuild the carb. Valves would probably make it hard to cold start not hot start.

3 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Start with carb. Valve adjustment would be next. 

This. 

Does the bike drip fuel? If so you are looking at overflow seat/plunger. Stalling off the bottom will be gunked up main/pilot. Make sure you air/fuel screw is appropriately set for  altitude. The valves are very easy to check/adjust  if you have the tank off i suggest doing it just because your 70% of the way there. I always prefer to pull the tank and drain/flush it to remove any FOD

3 hours ago, spize909 said:

Rebuild the carb. Valves would probably make it hard to cold start not hot start.

My experience with honda’s is the bike is harder to start when warm when the valve go out of adjustment. Little to no effect when cold. Damn near impossible to kick start warm

Edited by sausage450r

the stalling after blipping the throttle sounds like a plugged accelerator pump squirter....hard start....valves or carb....likely carb due to the AC problem... Probably needs a float needle and seat.

Sudco....sells those parts...

Thanks guys. The bike does not drip any fuel. I will get a carb rebuild kit and go from there. Switching over to an electric start bike may be in my future. 

Andrew

On 2/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, realbadlarry said:

expfcrmx.gif

But carbs are so simple! :bigrin 

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

But carbs are so simple! :bigrin 

I'm pretty sure that is the wrong schematic. The '05 did not have the FCR in it......unless I am mistaken.....but that is pretty rare.

12 hours ago, spize909 said:

I'm pretty sure that is the wrong schematic. The '05 did not have the FCR in it......unless I am mistaken.....but that is pretty rare.

It did not, 06 was the first year with the FCR.

Check to see if you quad can get the hot start kit. 

My yfz450 is 2004 and has it. 

Also so if your jetting is lean and you let it set for five minutes the head will heat soak making restart difficult. Maybe let the fan cycle off before shutting it down? Bigger main jet. Also most of these bikes area lean from factory on the APump. Do you have a bog down low? 

I know there are a list of carberator mods mine needed 

Needs a valvejob.  Lash goes away when it's hot is why it won't start. The 04/05 intakes are butter soft. 

Happened on my 06.  Had Morgan upgrade the valves.  All better.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, sausage450r said:

This. 

Does the bike drip fuel? If so you are looking at overflow seat/plunger. Stalling off the bottom will be gunked up main/pilot. Make sure you air/fuel screw is appropriately set for  altitude. The valves are very easy to check/adjust  if you have the tank off i suggest doing it just because your 70% of the way there. I always prefer to pull the tank and drain/flush it to remove any FOD

My experience with honda’s is the bike is harder to start when warm when the valve go out of adjustment. Little to no effect when cold. Damn near impossible to kick start warm

THIS!

On 2/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, WaPaWeKkA said:

Thanks guys. The bike does not drip any fuel. I will get a carb rebuild kit and go from there. Switching over to an electric start bike may be in my future. 

Andrew

I had an 05 and got lazy and wanted electric start. Sold 05 after buying an 06. The 06 never ran as good as the 05.

Got it running good again. Can start with one leg off the side of the bike. Carb needed a nice deep cleaning and rebuild. Only question I have is the jet that was pulled out was a 170 and stock for an 05 was 118. This is a huge jump in size. Nothing appears to be done to the bike except a K&N with additional drilled holes on top of box and a Pro Circuit T4 exhaust (although appears to only be slip on and not full exhaust). Any ideas why it would be so high? Any opposition to putting it back to stock? It ran great besides the starting issue. Wouldn't want to mess something else up.

Andrew

37 minutes ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

Got it running good again. Can start with one leg off the side of the bike. Carb needed a nice deep cleaning and rebuild. Only question I have is the jet that was pulled out was a 170 and stock for an 05 was 118. This is a huge jump in size. Nothing appears to be done to the bike except a K&N with additional drilled holes on top of box and a Pro Circuit T4 exhaust (although appears to only be slip on and not full exhaust). Any ideas why it would be so high? Any opposition to putting it back to stock? It ran great besides the starting issue. Wouldn't want to mess something else up.

Andrew

If it's running good, leave it. If the main jet was too big it wouldn't run right. At the very worst you are a little too rich and that's a lot better then too lean (for your engine at least).

No way that thing would run on 118 main jet.  I am running a 175 main in my 450x.

Posted (edited)

OK...I've built a lot of Hondas, had a few CRF 450s.  Granted mine were "R"s.  BUT....

Here's what I would do...

170 Main (stock is a 145)

42 Pilot (stock is a 45)

If the bike has set ANY amount of time sitting without being ran, just spend the $8 and get a new main and pilot.  Don't waste a dime on jet reamers or aftermarket jet kits.  They don't work as well and you will have problems.

Get rid of the K&N and go back to a foam filter.  UNIs were always my favorite.  The K&Ns don't seal well and you will inject sand.  Yes....I know this from experience.  

Being an '05...yes...you might want to check the valves.  On the "R"s, they have titanium valves.  You might have Stainless valves.  Stainless valves are better in my opinion unless you are a true racer, competing in Supercross.  They hold adjustment and wear a lot longer too.  If you find yourself going to check the valves and need to shim it, lucky for you, I have a Honda shim kit that's almost complete (yes...shameless plug).

Next...

Sounds crazy but...check your compression.  I had an issue once that screamed carb all over it...come to find out, it was low compression...and it really wasn't that low but it drove me crazy.  It acted just like a clogged pilot jet.

And lastly....Sorry Hozay...the CRFs had FCRs by at least 04 before they put them on the TRXs.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions.

Edited by Mac

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mac said:

OK...I've built a lot of Hondas, had a few CRF 450s.  Granted mine were "R"s.  BUT....

42 Pilot (stock is a 45)

If the bike has set ANY amount of time sitting without being ran, just spend the $8 and get a new main and pilot.  Don't waste a dime on jet reamers or aftermarket jet kits.  They don't work as well and you will have problems.

Get rid of the K&N and go back to a foam filter.  UNIs were always my favorite.  The K&Ns don't seal well and you will inject sand.  Yes....I know this from experience.  

Being an '05...yes...you might want to check the valves.  On the "R"s, they have titanium valves.  You might have Stainless valves.  Stainless valves are better in my opinion unless you are a true racer, competing in Supercross.  They hold adjustment and wear a lot longer too.  If you find yourself going to check the valves and need to shim it, lucky for you, I have a Honda shim kit that's almost complete (yes...shameless plug).

Next...

Sounds crazy but...check your compression.  I had an issue once that screamed carb all over it...come to find out, it was low compression...and it really wasn't that low but it drove me crazy.  It acted just like a clogged pilot jet.

And lastly....Sorry Hozay...the CRFs had FCRs by at least 04 before they put them on the TRXs.

Fake news....... :legit:

Really though, just make sure you're running a filter pre wrap. For the soft sand in Glamis, I'd just run one of their Airforce foam pre-filters

https://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm?pkid=6500634&rw=1

Edited by Desert Disciple

Just now, Desert Disciple said:

Fake news....... :legit:

Shush K&N Social Media lackie....

1 hour ago, Mac said:

42 Pilot (stock is a 45)

Next...

CRF's may have had the FCR carb but the TRX did not.

19 minutes ago, spize909 said:

CRF's may have had the FCR carb but the TRX did not.

This it correct.  

I've had both.  The TRX didn't switch to the FCR until '06.  The CRF has always had a FCR. (just checked)

Got the bike all put back together. Left the 170 jet as is. Didn't switch back to stock. Bike is now leaking fuel at a very slow rate. Either needs new  float or the carb body might be worn. Also found out I need a new petcock since it it also leaks fuel into the carb. I've put it back together to get me through the rest of the reason. Gotta figure out what I want to do with it over summer. I'd really like to get into an electric start bike. I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Andrew

20 minutes ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

Got the bike all put back together. Left the 170 jet as is. Didn't switch back to stock. Bike is now leaking fuel at a very slow rate. Either needs new  float or the carb body might be worn. Also found out I need a new petcock since it it also leaks fuel into the carb. I've put it back together to get me through the rest of the reason. Gotta figure out what I want to do with it over summer. I'd really like to get into an electric start bike. I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Andrew

Cleaning the float valve and using a pipe cleaner in the float socket with a strong solvent hold clean that up.  Also check the bowl drain.  If you mess with those, they almost always leak when you put them back together.   Pull it out and use a high number grit sandpaper and resurface it.  Use a small brush or pipe cleaner with a strong solvent to clean that socket out.

If you still have the idle problems, change the pilot jet.