jtmoney714

Next step up from lt80

My 7 year old is past what the LT80 can do. What’s the next bike the masses goes with? I think it’s time for him to start having to shift too. 

Outlaw 110 is cool. 

Or

Skip all the problems and expense of upgrading quads every couple years and go straight to the Banshee! An adjustable throttle, and Velcro seat/pants and turn him loose. Every trip out give him and extra turn on the throttle stop screw.

Let us know how the wife/mom handles that!

The outlaws 110s are pretty cool. Or depending on his size, a Honda 250ex. You have to shift but no clutch involved. 

Andrew

Raptor 250. He'll be able to ride it for at least 5 years if he doesn't get too big.

8 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Raptor 250. He'll be able to ride it for at least 5 years if he doesn't get too big.

^^^^ This is a great bike to step up to!,if not a cheaper price would be a Honda 300ex which is bulletproof and will be able to ride 3 to 5 more years.....

1 hour ago, wcimb said:

Skip all the problems and expense of upgrading quads every couple years and go straight to the Banshee! An adjustable throttle, and Velcro seat/pants and turn him loose. Every trip out give him and extra turn on the throttle stop screw.

Let us know how the wife/mom handles that!

Lol the ex wife loves this plan. #givememoremoney

Raptor 250. Have him start learning the clutch now so when he transitions into a 450 it’ll be a breeze. 

both my kids went form the Polaris 90 to the Honda 250

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

TRX250ex

My brother just did this for his 7 year old and it is a great bike. The sport clutch seems like a a great way to learn.

My youngest daughter went from an LT80 to a Yamaha Blaster.  You just have to jet them right and get rid of the oil injection and do premix. 

35 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

My youngest daughter went from an LT80 to a Yamaha Blaster.  You just have to jet them right and get rid of the oil injection and do premix. 

Ya that’s what I rode as a kid. Not sure he’s ready to kick start a bike though. I was hoping for something easy he can go start on his own. 

We went from the 90cc to Polaris 200cc, no clutch but a good sized quad.

Another vote for TRX250EX. Easy quad to learn, very forgiving shifting.

Raptor 250 is nice also, go this route if kid is more aggressive rider, but they will learn to shift or stall.

We had a 250ex and a Suzuki Z250. Both good step up (semi auto) quads and can get out there and dune fairly well. The Raptor is much lighter and feels much smaller though.  The hiccup is the clutch and my experience is that kids can pick that up pretty darn quick if they really want to ride.

3 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Another vote for TRX250EX. Easy quad to learn, very forgiving shifting.

Raptor 250 is nice also, go this route if kid is more aggressive rider, but they will learn to shift or stall.

A used TRX250EX  is the best quad for kids for a couple reasons.

1.) It is indestructible and as long as there is oil in them and the filter has oil on it, they will not kill it.

2.) When you buy one for your 5 or 6 year old for $2,200.00 and try to sell it because your now 13 year old has outgrown it you can list it for $2,200.00 and get it.

raptor 250 hands down.

19 minutes ago, MWB said:

A used TRX250EX  is the best quad for kids for a couple reasons.

1.) It is indestructible and as long as there is oil in them and the filter has oil on it, they will not kill it.

2.) When you buy one for your 5 or 6 year old for $2,200.00 and try to sell it because your now 13 year old has outgrown it you can list it for $2,200.00 and get it.

Been there, done that. 

TRX250EX is the way to go. 

Raptor 250 would be my 1st choice. Blaster second.  Pretty sure someone used to sell an E-start deal for the Blaster.

16 hours ago, spize909 said:

This.... Save yourself a bunch of time and Money. Just moved my 6 year old from lt80 to a raptor 250 and just turned the throttle screw in a little. Great bikes!!!

4 hours ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

both my kids went form the Polaris 90 to the Honda 250

X2. 

Good advice. I’m leaning towards the Honda. I think him learning how to use gears first before I add the clutch to it would be easiest. 

Raptor 250 is the next step.  My kid start riding his Raptor 250 at 8 years old.  The are great quads and they go everywhere in the dunes.

20 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

Good advice. I’m leaning towards the Honda. I think him learning how to use gears first before I add the clutch to it would be easiest. 

Trust me, they figure out the clutch quickly. Probably faster than the shifting. The Raptor 250 is the best but do what's best for him and his riding ability.