jtmoney714

Next step up from lt80

got my son a raptor 250 at 6 yrs old and it took him 30 minutes to figure out the clutch. the honda's are big, heavy and slow......

4 hours ago, MWB said:

A used TRX250EX  is the best quad for kids for a couple reasons.

1.) It is indestructible and as long as there is oil in them and the filter has oil on it, they will not kill it.

2.) When you buy one for your 5 or 6 year old for $2,200.00 and try to sell it because your now 13 year old has outgrown it you can list it for $2,200.00 and get it.

The Raptor 250 is pretty hard to kill as well and a much better quad than the Honda.   That Honda is heavy and it is not very peppy.  The Raptor 250 has better suspension (you can get long travel kits for them) and you can get some go fast parts for it.   My kid goes everywhere in the dunes with his Raptor 250.  

I agree that the Yamaha 250 or Honda 250 are the best especially if your lil one likes to ride aggressive and or is a quick learner.

My daughter's rode their 90 Polaris from 4 to 13. I bought my 2 daughters who are 12 and 13 a Suzuki LTZ250 since they are not aggressive and don't ride much. 

They love it! They have just enough power to get them up a hill and no need for clutch.

We ride hard pack 99% of the time.

Yep my vote is Yamaha all day. I only go Honda on my daily driver because Yamaha doesn't make a car lol

5 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Raptor 250 is the next step.  My kid start riding his Raptor 250 at 8 years old.  The are great quads and they go everywhere in the dunes.

Good info. How long did it take to get him to understand the clutch?

5 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Trust me, they figure out the clutch quickly. Probably faster than the shifting. The Raptor 250 is the best but do what's best for him and his riding ability. 

He rides hard so you guys have me thinking about how hard it is gonna be to teach him how to shift. 

4 hours ago, mark5193 said:

got my son a raptor 250 at 6 yrs old and it took him 30 minutes to figure out the clutch. the honda's are big, heavy and slow......

Any tips on teaching the clutch? I just remember getting yelled at and threatened by my dad about stalling. I’d like to go about it differently. 

7 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

Good info. How long did it take to get him to understand the clutch?

He rides hard so you guys have me thinking about how hard it is gonna be to teach him how to shift. 

Took him about 10 minutes to learn the clutch.  Shifting in the dunes a few rides.  They are in second and third gear most are f the time.  

Once they figure out how to take off without stalling it they are golden.

My kid is about ready for my 450.   

12 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

Any tips on teaching the clutch? I just remember getting yelled at and threatened by my dad about stalling. I’d like to go about it differently. 

Best way to teach them is have someone else in camp do it.  Kids don’t listen to dad.  Lol!

1 hour ago, jtmoney714 said:

You could ride on there with him for a little while.....both of your hands on the controls so he gets the feel of what he needs to do. Maybe take him in the buggy and explain to him what you are doing with the clutch and the shifting so he has an idea of what it's all about.

2 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Taught my daughter last trip on my sons z400 she learned very fast i explained the gears and neutral then i had her pull in clutch lever and let it out halfway then slowly from there out with engine off.Had her start it up gave it 1/4 throttle then slowly let clutch out til it begins to grab while holding the throttle steady then pull clutch back in,then repeat a couple more times.After this i had her go a lil further til bike rolled then pull back in.At this time i said ok when it rolls just let it out all the way and barley give it a lil more gas and when you stop pull in clutch let off gas!

She rolled out had her do a lap around camp in first gear come to stop then go again then she asked if she could shift gears she was on her own within 15 min shifting and riding around.Now she wants it but shes getting the blaster but may work out since son follows on rides and doesnt really ride around camp anymore but she prefers riding near camp.

1 hour ago, spize909 said:

You could ride on there with him for a little while.....both of your hands on the controls so he gets the feel of what he needs to do. Maybe take him in the buggy and explain to him what you are doing with the clutch and the shifting so he has an idea of what it's all about.

You've seen jason drive his car kids gonna want to race other buggies asap.LOL

1 minute ago, 77charger said:

Nothing wrong with that! 

Another vote for the Raptor 250, my kid loves it after going from a 90.

FD94F522-8457-4270-9BFD-58486650757D.thumb.jpeg.f3caabde7ee4aaa3c8d7c10725fdfb25.jpeg

17 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Trust me, they figure out the clutch quickly. Probably faster than the shifting. The Raptor 250 is the best but do what's best for him and his riding ability. 

X2 great quad and a good back up for the wife or you if you have to get anywhere.  my kid is 10 and now using my 525.  they pick it up soo fast if they are already killing the lt 80

11 hours ago, 77charger said:

Taught my daughter last trip on my sons z400 she learned very fast i explained the gears and neutral then i had her pull in clutch lever and let it out halfway then slowly from there out with engine off.Had her start it up gave it 1/4 throttle then slowly let clutch out til it begins to grab while holding the throttle steady then pull clutch back in,then repeat a couple more times.After this i had her go a lil further til bike rolled then pull back in.At this time i said ok when it rolls just let it out all the way and barley give it a lil more gas and when you stop pull in clutch let off gas!

She rolled out had her do a lap around camp in first gear come to stop then go again then she asked if she could shift gears she was on her own within 15 min shifting and riding around.Now she wants it but shes getting the blaster but may work out since son follows on rides and doesnt really ride around camp anymore but she prefers riding near camp.

Good advice. 

11 hours ago, 77charger said:

Lol so true. 

1 hour ago, Squatcher said:

X2 great quad and a good back up for the wife or you if you have to get anywhere.  my kid is 10 and now using my 525.  they pick it up soo fast if they are already killing the lt 80

Well you guys have talked me into it. So why are the years to have or stay away from? And what is the price point in these things?

can get a clean one for $2000 to $2500.  08 or newer. as he gets better can do little hop up for cheap

On 2/10/2019 at 6:51 PM, spize909 said:

Raptor 250. He'll be able to ride it for at least 5 years if he doesn't get too big.

I agree with this!  I also have one that I would be willing to sell.

46 minutes ago, Dune Marshall said:

I agree with this!  I also have one that I would be willing to sell.

Pm me some details. 

16 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Best way to teach them is have someone else in camp do it.  Kids don’t listen to dad.  Lol!

At anything !!!! ;)

They pick up the clutch in minutes.

My kids went with the Blaster after an LT80, it was good 15 years ago, now I would go with either the Raptor or Honda 250 (wasn't really a choice back then).  I tried the 300ex, it was  a waste of money, the blaster was faster and the 300ex weighs the same as a 400ex.  because I had another boy 2 years behind, the steps for us were............LT50, LT80, Blaster (tried the 300ex one trip), Z400, YZF450.............and now they are on two wheels now and they are 21 and 19 yrs old.

Damn, a guy just posted an 01 Blaster on here for $400 needing a top end. That was a smoking deal and would have been a good quad for your son. With a pipe and jetting they are fun.

I’m in the market for a Honda or Yamaha 250 now that I sold the Blaster. My kid picked up the clutch pretty easy. Not a lot of Raptor 250s on Craigslist. I’d like to spend less than $2k.

Andrew

Raptor 250! hands down....