B0NES

Boxo USA Tools

To say that this is a good forum to ask about tools I would think would be an understatement. So here it goes:

Looking to get a new toolbox setup for the garage. I have a bunch of mix and matched tools and toolboxes and would like to get organized with new tools. 

I’m not a mechanic by trade so I can’t see spending the type of money that Snap-On wants. On the other end of the spectrum I have a little bit of craftsman tools and I’m wanting to buy a little more decent tools. As my pops always said, buy good tools and only cry once. 

I see a lot of promotions in the Offroad community for BoxoUSA tools. I am leaning towards them. I like their toolbox setups but not sure how their tools hold up. What do you guys think about them? Does anyone have any experience with their tools? 

What tools fill your boxes?

S&K? 

Mac? 

As always..Your weight on this is much appreciated. 🙌🏾

AD46DD2F-DCBF-47B0-BD7E-72D61B1FF3D8.jpeg

D08AFBC9-3F69-4E9E-B1B9-419169FF4AE3.jpeg

SK tools are a great choice for hand tools.

There are several places that you can buy online with no shipping and no sales tax.

Williams tools are another great value, all though not as good as value of SK as far as price.

Williams screwdrivers are the same as Sanp-on for 60% less.

Craigslist and Facebook are the best place to get smoking deals on quality tools. Any quality lifetime warranty tools should be bought used when you can find them.

I'm a mechanic by trade, I have a Snap-on 3 bay roll cab at work filled with 90% Snap-on tools. At home it's a Craftsman box with a lot of mix and match stuff I picked up over the years.  To be quite honest, I love my Snap-on roll cab and would buy another in a minute for work  if I had to, but with that said the newest offerings in tool storage from HF aren't half bad at all and are very affordable. 

I'm a bit biased about tools so naturally I will suggest the Snappy stuff, but it's really what you can realistically afford that matters. I wouldn't jeopardize the marriage or retirement savings to buy the good stuff, there are a lot of decent tools on the market these days. I like Snap-on wrenches and screwdrivers because they feel good in your hand and just plain get the job done but everything else, eh, whatever you can get for a good price would do. GearWrench swivel head ratchet wrenches are the cat's meow for me, I have used them daily for years and have never broken one. Air tools are becoming a thing of the past now that 18 and 20v electric stuff is here, but they will never completely replace my IngersolRand air tools.

I just put together a complete tool set to keep exclusively in the motorhome. 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 deep and shallow, all Craftsman stuff I got on eBay for cheap. I bought a lot of it at my local swap meet over a few months and the rest I picked up at HD and Lowes. I even included 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches in the moho because I like to know how tight things are. I think I spent about $300 on all of it. 

Edited by fortyfour

Harbor freight box, harbor freight: box end wrenches, ratchets, sockets, extensions, and assortment of socket style Allen keys; gear wrench ratcheting wrenches, snap on screw drivers, snap on pry bars,  knipex snap ring pliers.  This is exactly what I own and have zero complaints.  Have never broke a Harbor freight hand tool that was being properly used.

I have a Husky rolling tool chest with top and bottom chests...then I got this set from Lowes!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-300-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/1000251051

I'm not a mechanic but it's perfect for my rhino and stuff I need to do around the house.

I love the inserts that keep all the tools in place.

I may get a rolling cart for my trailer then I can just transfer these foam inserts with all the tools to that when I go on trips.

11 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

Harbor freight box, harbor freight: box end wrenches, ratchets, sockets, extensions, and assortment of socket style Allen keys; gear wrench ratcheting wrenches, snap on screw drivers, snap on pry bars,  knipex snap ring pliers.  This is exactly what I own and have zero complaints.  Have never broke a Harbor freight hand tool that was being properly used.

Hand tools from HF are good for home and desert. Electrics are a 50-50..

Sears sold the Craftsman tool line, and these days, Lowes carries them.

Swap meet tools are a good value..

talk to KATG   King adam,  he and his partner are connected with BOXO tools.  I honestly want to become a rep for there stuff because it was so nice, but just don't do enough volume to make it worth while.

i was a mechanic for many years and i have probably 70% snappy, 10% husky, 5% craftsman, 5% harbor freight and rest is mix of S&K, matco, and other off brand. There is alot of things i have snap on wise i like better than most but when you dont handle a wrench every day, its not something you would really care for. 

I would look at lowes or home depot for tools. easy replacement when something dies and decent quality. i have some husky stuff thats about 15 years old and still going strong used improperly and properly lol. there are things from HF that would be fine as well, no need to repeat as they have been mentioned. i will say the allen wrenches do not take alot of torque well. gear wrench ratchet wrenches are the best damn thing ive gotten for wrenches, as a mechanic or at home.

i have no comment on Boxo but i dont like ordering tools or having to return stuff and waiting for the repair, maybe im spoiled from being a mechanic and still having a friend that drives a truck and lives by me but waiting is annoying. 

The BOXO stuff is really nice. Checked it out at the SSSS. Also saw a BOXO box getting mounted in an enclosed trailer New Trend Custom Trailer was building. 

I like the colors avail for the boxes and the cutout foam for tool organization, but no experience with them.

Thx for posting BONES, I too am in the same boat. I’ve got a Craftsman rollaway with a mix mash of tools and am looking into BOXO USA as well. I want to buy a matching set of rollaway and tools, and I really like their organization system. I’m a garage mechanic and don’t need the best of the best, but quality is important.

Just to be clear BOXO USA is made in Taiwan.  I am always apprehensive when a company includes USA in there advertising and they do not  make their products here.

The picture of the hipster on their opening webpage is amusing. 

One thing to remember, even with tools you only use occasionally, is the damage they will do to a fastener if they are inadequate for the job. 

I would never buy a possibly inadequate tool simply because I wouldn’t take the chance it would fail when I need it. If you buy good quality tools they will pay you back.

SK tools are very competitively priced and according to there website Made In USA.

https://sktools.com/content/sktools/en_US/about/made-in-usa.html

CREATED, DESIGNED, FORGED AND ASSEMBLED RIGHT HERE

Many American tool companies stretch the meaning of ‘Made in America.’ Not SK Professional Tools. With forging facilities in Colorado Springs, CO and a brand new manufacturing and distribution center in Sycamore, IL, all SK Professional Tools are crafted with American steel right here in the U.S.A. for quality and precision you can trust.

SK Professional Tools is proud to be part of IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC., a family-owned, blue-collar American company that believes in serving the hardest working technicians in the world.

Boxo tools are great tool and well worth the money. Life time warranty on boxes and tools, organization is great, colors are cool and quality is amazing 

I believe boxo is sold in several countries all on different formats of product line so the USA is the title for tools manufactured, sold and tailor marketed for the USA.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how many snap on, Mac, Matco, cornwell etc tools are actually manufactured in Tawain as well. Tawain is far different than China when it comes to quality 

they had a display set up in hammertown, stuff looked pretty nice!

first time I had ever seen them

Spent some time talking with the marketing guy from Boxo at Hammer Town last week. Super nice guy, big time duner and it turns out he has a great connection here on GD  as well.

I'll be looking to outfit a couple more chase rigs this year and will be in touch with Boxo to supply to boxes and tools for them. There's nothing worse than romping through the desert, getting to a pit, and your tools are spread out all of the place. I love the foam inserts that hold each tool exactly where they need to be.

37 minutes ago, cola said:

I think a lot of people would be surprised how many snap on, Mac, Matco, cornwell etc tools are actually manufactured in Tawain as well. Tawain is far different than China when it comes to quality 

Everything in this quote is dead on especially the Taiwan/Chinese quality difference.

I will not buy Snap-On tools except the ones that are made in USA because I feel that I can get the same quality at a cheaper price through someone else if the tool is foreign made.

My experience with the Taiwan/Chinese  draw slide on tool boxes has been that they are considerably less  robust than the Accuride brand especially in a mobile application that is subject to high shock loads. Accuride was the pioneer of the heavy duty draw  slides.

When I can I always buy American made when I can if the price is competitive. 

I would be interested to know the price of the American made, American job supporting  SK tools vs. these BOXO tools made in Taiwan supporting jobs in Taiwan. 

It looks to me like BOXO is more marketing focused than quality focused but I’m not a hipster I’m a professional user so there’s that.

We just filled an entire pitbox with BOXO tools and bought several of the small tool box sets from BOXO as well. For what you get they are very fair priced, and all tools have a lifetime warranty which is huge. I'm no mechanic but i like to wrench on the weekends and i can say i love the organization you get with the foam inserts, there is ZERO time wasted when looking for tools

55 minutes ago, Romans9 said:

Everything in this quote is dead on especially the Taiwan/Chinese quality difference.

I will not buy Snap-On tools except the ones that are made in USA because I feel that I can get the same quality at a cheaper price through someone else if the tool is foreign made.

My experience with the Taiwan/Chinese  draw slide on tool boxes has been that they are considerably less  robust than the Accuride brand especially in a mobile application that is subject to high shock loads. Accuride was the pioneer of the heavy duty draw  slides.

When I can I always buy American made when I can if the price is competitive. 

I would be interested to know the price of the American made, American job supporting  SK tools vs. these BOXO tools made in Taiwan supporting jobs in Taiwan. 

It looks to me like BOXO is more marketing focused than quality focused but I’m not a hipster I’m a professional user so there’s that.

I think that if your job revolves around what's in your toolbox and that is what pays the bills and you have the time to research and test, then buy the best from any company or manufacturer that fits the bill.  I think for the average guy, Harbor Freight would most likely "get the job done" , and not cost you a fortune.  I am surprised at what people think is actually made in the USA and what might be assembled here with foreign parts. 

21 minutes ago, MGM/FRP said:

I think that if your job revolves around what's in your toolbox and that is what pays the bills and you have the time to research and test, then buy the best from any company or manufacturer that fits the bill.  I think for the average guy, Harbor Freight would most likely "get the job done" , and not cost you a fortune.  I am surprised at what people think is actually made in the USA and what might be assembled here with foreign parts. 

I couldn’t agree with you more.

I am only offering my opinion which has been formed from 32 years of buying tools professionally, in hopes that my fellow GD.com member can make an informed decision before spending their hard earned money.

I am fully aware of percentages and loopholes companies can use to promote “Made in USA” while not actually being even 60% made in USA.

SK is a company that dabbled in using There good name and outsourcing  manufacturing to overseas. About 5-6 years ago they mad a hard push to bring most of their manufacturing back to the States and built a new plant to produce tools in.

Buffalo was the Harbor Freight of tools back 30 years ago.

I have some Buffalo tool,s from the 50/60 that were American made.

it appears that the Taiwan stuff I have seen over the last few years has been nearly as good as the Japanese stuff from 30 years ago.

I have seen far to many young mechanics buy Harbor Frieght tools that came out of the package on the first task and break. 

I do not like companies that are marketing based rather than user focused.

“Joyner”

”Jennings Arms”