JDMeister

Do You Know How To Tow?

:wwp:

I'm on the 405 yesterday, and some noob is towing an equipment trailer, loaded with a Medium sized track bucket loader.

Clearly, this idiot has never towed before.

Most of you probably know, weigh goes on the trailer forward, to avoid fish tailing and crashing.

This idiot was on the merge from an on-ramp, and about 35 mph, the trailer decided to show who was the boss.

Yes, the loader was "Bucket First", and bulk of weight was hanging off the rear.

Didn't take to long for him to pull over and pop the flashers on,.,

Idiot,,

Towing a trailer should be an endorsement on a drivers license. At least then people might be made aware that they can only tow in the right two lanes, NOT the carpool lane. 

I only drive about 35 miles a day on the freeway but yet almost every single day I see a trailer in the carpool lane,  mostly RV trailers and sometimes fifth wheel trailers bouncing all around. 

59 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Towing a trailer should be an endorsement on a drivers license. At least then people might be made aware that they can only tow in the right two lanes, NOT the carpool lane. 

^ this. I see people constantly in the #1 and #2 lane. I just don’t think they know any better. Drives me crazy. I can only imagine how they’re doing chains and if the hitch is even locked. 

1 hour ago, RK Racing said:

I only drive about 35 miles a day on the freeway but yet almost every single day I see a trailer in the carpool lane,  mostly RV trailers and sometimes fifth wheel trailers bouncing all around. 

I see it everyday too.  Hell I even do it when I can..... alone even. Can you imagine the chaos that happens in states where it is free to drive where you want to drive and where it's safe to drive instead of having to stay in your appointed lane.

From my house I can get on one freeway transfer to another go all the way to the left hand HOV lane and not change lanes till I get all the way across town where the HOV lane ends and the freeway becomes a highway where I get in the right lane unless I am going to pass. Do you even have a clue how much safer that is not to have to change lanes at least 10 times to avoid must exits and freeway splits? How much easier and stress free that is. 

Of and I am doing this all while going the same speed as everybody else :sha: 

Every day driving our heavy  I get to use the air horn at least once .... 

15 minutes ago, MWB said:

I see it everyday too.  Hell I even do it when I can..... alone even. Can you imagine the chaos that happens in states where it is free to drive where you want to drive and where it's safe to drive instead of having to stay in your appointed lane.

From my house I can get on one freeway transfer to another go all the way to the left hand HOV lane and not change lanes till I get all the way across town where the HOV lane ends and the freeway becomes a highway where I get in the right lane unless I am going to pass. Do you even have a clue how much safer that is not to have to change lanes at least 10 times to avoid must exits and freeway splits? How much easier and stress free that is. 

Of and I am doing this all while going the same speed as everybody else :sha: 

same here, drive from US60 all the way to west west Phx in HOV lane.  I think the same way, stay in one lane and don't impede traffic and im good.  I plan on doing just this Thursday evening.

Drives me insane when idiots hauling trailers are in the #1 and 2 lanes...

50 minutes ago, Desert Disciple said:

Drives me insane when idiots hauling trailers are in the #1 and 2 lanes...

must suck to live under the thumb of CA.  I know I dislike yore 55mph while towing.

1 hour ago, megadesertdiesel said:

same here, drive from US60 all the way to west west Phx in HOV lane.  I think the same way, stay in one lane and don't impede traffic and im good.  I plan on doing just this Thursday evening.

I get on the 101 and Elliot the only lane change I need is once I get on the 60. There is usually no traffic heading west in the afternoon either so as long as I can be in the HOV lane by 2pm I have no worries driving alone.  If I have to leave late alone then it''s sit in the house till  I can or head out dead cow.

I am guilty of an improper tow once.  I bought and tore down a 2500sqft steel building for my house and had a 6000 lb trailer that was 20foot long, I had some long pieces that were like 26' long maybe 28'.   but I piled extra steel towards the front that wasn't super long.  anyways I had what I guessed was 6000lb of steel on a 2000# trailer so I was combined weight at 8k and had plenty of stuff hanging way past the end of the trailer.   you ask about my tongue weight?   oh it was literally zero lbs.  I know I was stupid.  call me any name you want but it was already loaded, all the help was gone.  with zero tongue weight and the extra long pieces out the back did not make for a good combo.  I couldn't tow just the long pieces as it would have been negative, that's why I kept adding steel up front.  Norco to Murrieta,   got on the freeway on the on ramp that went down hill.   when I hit 40 mph, that trailer threw my truck around like a rag doll in a Rotties mouth.  the friend behind me said my truck was on 2 wheels. after regaining my composure I went 35 mph the whole way on the 15, even at that speed was really bad as you could feel it wanting to do the same thing.  no CHP,   people were honking cause I was too slow.  it wasn't a good day but I did make it home.  if I had lost the load on the freeway I would have sadly made the news.  

I repented and will never try that again.

Anonyms  

Had a friend who rented a U haul trailer to haul his rail. No, it wasn't a car hauler, It was one of the 6x12 utility trailers. Well as you can imagine he couldn't fit the ass end through the gate, so he loaded it nose in, with the back wheel on the tailgate of the trailer. 😳 I didn't witness the tow but I heard it got pretty squirrely, was a 45mph tow after a butthole pucker incident. 

Same friend lost a tire on his tow vehicle in ocotillo, swapped it for the spare, and lost a second tire in El Centro. I went to pick up his trailer (not a Uhaul, thankfully) so he could get tires in the morning (this was about midnight). He only had a 4 pin plug so I towed his trailer to Gordon's at 2 in the morning with no lights, no brakes, and 2 glow sticks zip tied to the back while he camped out in the Lucky's parking lot.

Edited by xtracrispy

11 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

i thought HOV stood for (Heavy Oversize Vehicle ) 

1 hour ago, diesel-e said:

i thought HOV stood for (Heavy Oversize Vehicle ) 

Makes sense to me. A lot of the HOV lanes here are going away in favor of toll roads. Read a study on LA traffic years ago and the HOV lanes never did anything to alleviate traffic. 

I’m perfectly aware of the no #1/2 lane towing...

But I find myself stuck behind people staring at their phones in front of me not aware of anything, blazing up enough hippy lettuce it gets through my recirculate, or some CA converted DPF diesel medium duty regenerating a giant smoke screen in the name of the environment. No way I’m hanging out behind them for the next 20 miles...

So, you may come across me towing the flatbed in those lanes... It won’t be for longer than necessary. Prayers sent for the offense I’ve burdened upon your souls.

Some place in CA I think in San Diego some of the right lanes go off the off ramp not letting you go straight which is a pain when towing a long trailer. Sometimes in heavy traffic (most of the time) it is hard to move over to avoid going on the off ramp so you have to stay in the second lane. DON~~~

I (we) had an awful towing experience going to the south dunes once. Trying to help a friend , I agreed to tow his enclosed with 2 sand cars in it for him behind my f350 with my large cab over on my truck. This was not a stacker but a long trailer. I had trouble even getting to the interstate and stopped twice to shift stuff around trying to help. We made many stops to do this even at one point taking the spare tire out from under my truck and tying it down  on the front tongue. After fighting it all of 40 miles up I 10, my friend went back to his home on east side of Tucson and got his hitch head with 2 sway controls on it. Off we went and from then on I could keep it under control as long as I did not exceed 54mph. That days drive ended up taking a total of 12 and a 1/2 hours to Midway camp area. I was so wrecked by the time I got there I never even took my car out for a drive that weekend, just sat and consumed wobble pop, then came home.

Edited by Richard H

Spring and summer, I see boats being towed in the HOV lane, drunk guys hooting and flipping off others, returning from Pyramid lake.

I tried to see the license, but only got the frame.

LPF_134_S__05648_1024x1024.jpg

I only tow my trailer in the HOV lane when I have more than four people in the trailer. That makes it a High Occupancy Vehicle, doesn’t it?

33 minutes ago, wcimb said:

I only tow my trailer in the HOV lane when I have more than four people in the trailer. That makes it a High Occupancy Vehicle, doesn’t it?

Only if you’re extra careful and keep it below 50

Most of the time I feel like the AZ people are the only ones who drive 55 and off to the right when towing ? I have had many times when I would get all caught up with a bunch of big rigs driving on the right. The rock showers they provide is priceless ! Made the mistake of trying to pass one and got up to 61 mph while towing. That was a $600 ticket. In AZ we have the option to attend traffic school if eligible or pay the fine. I found out in CA you pay the fine regardless if you attend traffic school or not ! So speeding ticket Fine + traffic School + online school Fee + tax = 55 mph when towing from now on !

I have pulled a trailer that I did not load when helping friends move. Lesson learned by both parties... always make sure heavy ass piano goes on first not last.

19 minutes ago, i8sand said:

Most of the time I feel like the AZ people are the only ones who drive 55 and off to the right when towing ? I have had many times when I would get all caught up with a bunch of big rigs driving on the right. The rock showers they provide is priceless ! Made the mistake of trying to pass one and got up to 61 mph while towing. That was a $600 ticket. In AZ we have the option to attend traffic school if eligible or pay the fine. I found out in CA you pay the fine regardless if you attend traffic school or not ! So speeding ticket Fine + traffic School + online school Fee + tax = 55 mph when towing from now on !

I have pulled a trailer that I did not load when helping friends move. Lesson learned by both parties... always make sure heavy ass piano goes on first not last.

Agreed!  The section of I-8 between the state line and Gordon's well is very well patrolled every time I've driven to the dunes. Having heard the horror stories of guys getting pulled in for low 60's has me hanging back with the big rigs.  Not to mention the airplane they have flying around quite often.  We sat and watched a RZR fire up on top of the sand highway back in January and the CHP plane came over head taking in the scene before heading back out to run the interstate. 

27 minutes ago, i8sand said:

I live in palm springs area, and I see a lot of  AZ plates on the 10 west towing in the fast lane passing me and im not towing. do they thing its ok because they are from out of state?

17 minutes ago, HonEXduner said:

Agreed!  The section of I-8 between the state line and Gordon's well is very well patrolled every time I've driven to the dunes. Having heard the horror stories of guys getting pulled in for low 60's has me hanging back with the big rigs.  Not to mention the airplane they have flying around quite often.  We sat and watched a RZR fire up on top of the sand highway back in January and the CHP plane came over head taking in the scene before heading back out to run the interstate. 

The 78 from Blythe down to Glamis they patrol pretty heavily and will snag you for going over the 55mph. I try the best I can to keep it right at 55mph my biggest problem is my truck shifts out of drive and into overdrive at 52-54 mph so I find myself to keep from shifting all the time going a little over. but I am always watching my mirrors and scouting the oncoming for the CHiPPY . 

2 minutes ago, MWB said:

The 78 from Blythe down to Glamis they patrol pretty heavily and will snag you for going over the 55mph. I try the best I can to keep it right at 55mph my biggest problem is my truck shifts out of drive and into overdrive at 52-54 mph so I find myself to keep from shifting all the time going a little over. but I am always watching my mirrors and scouting the oncoming for the CHiPPY . 

Good to know- don't get up that way often at all. One tip I picked up a while back was to pedal it up to ~60 whatever it takes to get into OD, then set cruise and slowly back it down into the ~55ish range. So long as there is not too much grade, it should hold OD. Granted, once you hit any rollers it will downshift again.