JDMeister

Do You Know How To Tow?

Just now, HonEXduner said:

Good to know- don't get up that way often at all. One tip I picked up a while back was to pedal it up to ~60 whatever it takes to get into OD, then set cruise and slowly back it down into the ~55ish range. So long as there is not too much grade, it should hold OD. Granted, once you hit any rollers it will downshift again. 

The 78 from Blythe to Glamis is nothing but rollers.  So what I do is roll on the coal as I go downhill up to 60ish then roll back the oil on the way up the hill till 55 then roll it back on. I can keep in OD but I will average over the 55mph.  The ticket is still cheaper than the transmission bill I would get stuck with if I let it bounce around.

Where is the ATM video????  LOL

12 minutes ago, MWB said:

The 78 from Blythe to Glamis is nothing but rollers.  So what I do is roll on the coal as I go downhill up to 60ish then roll back the oil on the way up the hill till 55 then roll it back on. I can keep in OD but I will average over the 55mph.  The ticket is still cheaper than the transmission bill I would get stuck with if I let it bounce around.

Well that throws my strategy out the window

30 minutes ago, MWB said:

you must have a Dodge, friggin crappy trans.  I have to baby mine.

5 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

lol yes....

53 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

Crappy programming more than anything. Mine constantly tried killing itself unlocking the converter rather than downshifting. 

5 hours ago, Richard H said:

I (we) had an awful towing experience going to the south dunes once. Trying to help a friend , I agreed to tow his enclosed with 2 sand cars in it for him behind my f350 with my large cab over on my truck. This was not a stacker but a long trailer. I had trouble even getting to the interstate and stopped twice to shift stuff around trying to help. We made many stops to do this even at one point taking the spare tire out from under my truck and tying it down  on the front tongue. After fighting it all of 40 miles up I 10, my friend went back to his home on east side of Tucson and got his hitch head with 2 sway controls on it. Off we went and from then on I could keep it under control as long as I did not exceed 54mph. That days drive ended up taking a total of 12 and a 1/2 hours to Midway camp area. I was so wrecked by the time I got there I never even took my car out for a drive that weekend, just sat and consumed wobble pop, then came home.

:lmao:

I have never heard that term...May I borrow that?

:laugh:  :burpy:

20 minutes ago, dbart said:

:lmao:

I have never heard that term...May I borrow that?

:laugh:  :burpy:

All yours, no exclusives rights held. A really good friend introduced me to it. One of my favorites. I should add that he is who introduced me to Glamis, go figure.

Edited by Richard H

I heard camels can toe!

On 2/12/2019 at 8:58 AM, L.R.S. said:

Towing a trailer should be an endorsement on a drivers license. At least then people might be made aware that they can only tow in the right two lanes, NOT the carpool lane. 

I've seen people on the 91 express lanes even!

5 hours ago, blackdmax said:

I've seen people on the 91 express lanes even!

Nothing surprises me anymore. Yesterday I saw a cement truck in the number 1 lane on the 5 frwy in LA. The driver has to have a commercial license to drive that truck and doesn't know about the lane restrictions? 

8 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Nothing surprises me anymore. Yesterday I saw a cement truck in the number 1 lane on the 5 frwy in LA. The driver has to have a commercial license to drive that truck and doesn't know about the lane restrictions? 

A few years ago a bunch of El Cajon DMV employees got busted for selling commercial licenses. Maybe he was one of their customers...

I tow every day for work,  f350 cc lb with 24' triple aXle 10k heavy...don't worry About witch  lanes or speed just go with the flow, 70 mph ALL day,  average 90 miles every day, but even on the on ramp I'm All over you ass unless you drive the posted limit. I don't pass on the right just use the 3 Rd Lane temporarily. If u see me wave as I roal coal...

14 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

I can guarantee he is looking for a job site entrance, a K rail repair and probably has a stupid Contractor instruction he’s trying to follow !,he’s not in the number one lane for nothing......  my first job site yesterday morning at 4 AM had on the invoices  10 freeway West bound /Kellogg  in Center median.  Where the job actually was 10 freeway westbound Kellogg offramp past 57 !....get off !  So been there done that! million times just following instructions!

^^^^^  excellent point.