Sign in to follow this  
jhuerta

Spring Setup Advise for new 14" Shock

Hello all,

I wanted to get you option on the spring selection for my new  Fox 14 inch coil-overs. My car had 12 inch shock with 400 -12" on top and 500-12" bottom. I think it was soft. For the new 14" I was thinking of getting 400 - ? on top and 550-16" on bottom. Im not sure what to get on top of if I should just stay with 500 on bottom since Im going from 12 to 14 inch shock. I was told I needed 16" spring for 14" shock. 

Thank you. 

Are you adding bypasses?

21 minutes ago, cali kid said:

Are you adding bypasses?

X2. ^^^      If the overall it rode good, you just need to control damping, adding the bypasses may solve that, and you could,/maybe should stay with same rate. Going up the 50# in the main , raises your initial spring rate by 9#, and the 50# for the secondary rate. This is all assuming you are not massively changing geometry, which would/will effect spring rates.

Yea I am planning to add bypass a little later though.  

Well I got some some 16" - 500lb springs for main and stayed with 12" - 400lbs on pre-load and the car went back to the original ride height which is good.  It compress to about 3" inches but this is with no passengers. I guess its better to be soft and not bucking all over the place but I would still like to try some 550 just to see how it would ride. 

Thank you. 

I personally would scale the car, get all corner weights, measure extended and compressed shaft length and then call Fox and get recommendations for a starting point. Guessing will just cost extra money in the end.

Edited by cek

2 minutes ago, cek said:

I personally would scale the car, get all corner weights, measure extended and compressed shaft length and then call Fox and get recommendations for a starting point. Guessing will just cost extra money in the end.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Do you know where I can take the car to get this done? Im  in West Covina 91790. 

2 minutes ago, jhuerta said:

Yeah I was thinking about that. Do you know where I can take the car to get this done? Im  in West Covina 91790. 

I'm in WA state so I wouldn't be any help. Someone on here should have access to scales tho. Most racers have them. I'm sure you could even do it with 4 bathroom scales if you had them. That might be worth a google search.

2 minutes ago, cek said:

I'm in WA state so I wouldn't be any help. Someone on here should have access to scales tho. Most racers have them. I'm sure you could even do it with 4 bathroom scales if you had them. That might be worth a google search.

I will ask around. Thanks. 

Check out Mirage Racing Products. They used to be in San Diego but moved up to Carson. Try this number (619) 562-5533

DC shock services in San Dimas

On 2/14/2019 at 11:00 AM, 467echo said:

Check out Mirage Racing Products. They used to be in San Diego but moved up to Carson. Try this number (619) 562-5533

This. Great guys to deal with.