Grease Monkey

It's Saturday 2/16/19 what are you doing this weekend?

Cleaning up the garage. Leak down test and pull the cam out of the rail.

Decide if I have the time/money to get it dialed in before our Spring Break trip.

12 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

Freezing our butts off camping in Julian, kiddos loving all the snow!!

19778.jpeg

Be sure to stop by the county park and throw a snowball at bansh88. 

Horseback riding with my youngest. Kids are still outside playing in the slush. Been snowing on/off all day just wont stick

5DE067DC-ECE8-4394-B645-2A2784C4AEA6.jpeg

C9D0874D-06A2-44F5-B85E-21DCDE5A2E47.jpeg

Edited by sausage450r

23 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

At first I thought you were talking about the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix, but this morning I did more research and discovered the Superstion Mountain OHV area west of Brawley.  While looking into it, I saw some discussion of it being an open shooting area, as long as distance laws are observed.  Is that still true?  Do you hear gun shots at times?

Yes you can still shoot out here. A couple of years ago I did see some rangers shutting down some guys shooting, but I think it was because they were shooting in their camp area at targets. So they will enforce the shooting laws. There is also a gun club shooting range right at the end of the asphalt road on Wheeler. 

You don’t hear a bunch gun shots, especially from the camp areas. but once in a while you do if your back in a wash or Canyon. Best is to go back in a canyon and shoot into a hillside away from everyone.  

Glamis getting some seat time in the CanAm

55 minutes ago, NIKAL said:

Yes you can still shoot out here. A couple of years ago I did see some rangers shutting down some guys shooting, but I think it was because they were shooting in their camp area at targets. So they will enforce the shooting laws. There is also a gun club shooting range right at the end of the asphalt road on Wheeler. 

You don’t hear a bunch gun shots, especially from the camp areas. but once in a while you do if your back in a wash or Canyon. Best is to go back in a canyon and shoot into a hillside away from everyone.  

Thanks for all the information.  This brings a whole new dimension to the OHV experience in California.  I like canyons, and I like guns, so Superstition Mountain was a huge discovery for me this weekend!!  I think it's a much better place to break in my new CVT belt (zero miles so far) than going to Glamis where more RPM's are required.  I hope you had a great weekend out there!

1 hour ago, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks for all the information.  This brings a whole new dimension to the OHV experience in California.  I like canyons, and I like guns, so Superstition Mountain was a huge discovery for me this weekend!!  I think it's a much better place to break in my new CVT belt (zero miles so far) than going to Glamis where more RPM's are required.  I hope you had a great weekend out there!

Plenty of better locations on this side of the river to explore and be able to go shooting with better weaponry . Why drive 5 hours to do something you can do an hour from your house. You just need to know where to go looking is all.

2 minutes ago, MWB said:

Plenty of better locations on this side of the river to explore and be able to go shooting with better weaponry . Why drive 5 hours to do something you can do an hour from your house. You just need to know where to go looking is all.

I go to Table Mesa Road north of Anthem all the time, and used to go to Buckeye/Miller Road and the I10 until they closed it down last year.  Of course there's always Ben Avery and Rio Salado shooting ranges, both of which I go to.  My feeling about Superstition Mountain is it enhances the OHV experience, and I can enjoy the California weather and terrain, which is much different than AZ.  So basically, it's still about the OHV experience in California, not the guns. 

12 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I go to Table Mesa Road north of Anthem all the time, and used to go to Buckeye/Miller Road and the I10 until they closed it down last year.  Of course there's always Ben Avery and Rio Salado shooting ranges, both of which I go to.  My feeling about Superstition Mountain is it enhances the OHV experience, and I can enjoy the California weather and terrain, which is much different than AZ.  So basically, it's still about the OHV experience in California, not the guns. 

Have you done the Lake Pleasant to Crown King run? 

The Parker to Deseret Bar run ? 

Plenty of areas to explore from Bumble Bee up thru the Bradshaws towards Crown King.

Then there is the area round Lake Pleasant that the Off-Road teams pre-run for testing purposes

Lots of area's down by Gila Bend and out towards Florence

You can still do the 339th Ave to Wickenburg  run it just works best from Wickenburg is all.

Tons of trails to explore out near Quartzide and towards Bouse

Those are just some of the winter time runs that are fun

There is even more when the heat hits and more of them you can leave your house in Surprise in your SxS drive for a few hours stay in a hotel then continue on from there all the way to Utah dam near......

Except for Glamis why go to California for Off-road adventures they have to many rules about what can drive where. Over here we can wheel all day and just before dark hit the highway and zip back to camp if we want.

1 hour ago, MWB said:

Have you done the Lake Pleasant to Crown King run? 

The Parker to Deseret Bar run ? 

Plenty of areas to explore from Bumble Bee up thru the Bradshaws towards Crown King.

Then there is the area round Lake Pleasant that the Off-Road teams pre-run for testing purposes

Lots of area's down by Gila Bend and out towards Florence

You can still do the 339th Ave to Wickenburg  run it just works best from Wickenburg is all.

Tons of trails to explore out near Quartzide and towards Bouse

Those are just some of the winter time runs that are fun

There is even more when the heat hits and more of them you can leave your house in Surprise in your SxS drive for a few hours stay in a hotel then continue on from there all the way to Utah dam near......

Except for Glamis why go to California for Off-road adventures they have to many rules about what can drive where. Over here we can wheel all day and just before dark hit the highway and zip back to camp if we want.

Thanks for all your ideas MWB.  I want to find time (and groups) to explore the Quartzsite, Bouse, and Parker areas.  I also want to check out the Lake Pleasant area.  That jumped up to #1 on my discover AZ list after your reply.  I have also sent you a private message with more personal info.

9 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Supertition is my #1 go to ride area. There is eveything there. Mudhills, washes, dune, open desert, lake beds, you name it. The area is rich with milititary and space history. The old communications towers for the gemini space missions are still there. There are active bombing ranges there and this time of year you get a free blue angels show every weekend. There is legal shooting per blm rules. There is also an organized shooting range/club there as well. You are welcome to camp with us one weekend if you like.

3 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Supertition is my #1 go to ride area. There is eveything there. Mudhills, washes, dune, open desert, lake beds, you name it. The area is rich with milititary and space history. The old communications towers for the gemini space missions are still there. There are active bombing ranges there and this time of year you get a free blue angels show every weekend. There is legal shooting per blm rules. There is also an organized shooting range/club there as well. You are welcome to camp with us one weekend if you like.

Thanks for explaining all those extra details and advantages about Superstition.  I want to go there very soon.  The shooting aspect was a minor thing, an extra enhancement.  But the truth is that I used to live in California (Huntington Beach) and I really miss the weather and the terrain of the California "desert" areas, which are very different than Arizona where the real desert is.  The major thing stopping me from moving back to California is family issues.  I could put up with all the laws and LEO's, because I like the weather, geography and locations so much.

I'll contact you via private message when I'm going to go, and see if you're going that weekend.  Maybe you can show me around the park.