Jonesin'

Stand-alone recommendations

Well, I had my Subi at the tuners and I was told that the fuel pump driver failed in my Link ECU. My tuner

called LEM and they will not even service it due to the age of the unit. So, being stuck in a crappy situation,

I will be on the hunt for a new stand-alone system for my car. My engine is a Subaru EJ20g. DOHC 2.0

turbo. Now, i'm leaning towards the Megasquirt line of "plug and play" systems due to the budget friendly

pricing and the amount of customer service they have.  I've done some research that the MS line will be

able to work for my Ecotec LNF when I swap over to it also.

I'm open to all suggestions and help!  Thanks again!

Why not just call John @ Outfront and ask him what to use. No need to get other opinions from the peanut gallery on the subject,  he is hands down the Subi goto guy.  

If you are planning on an engine swap why are you spending money tuning what you have now??

Edited by fortyfour

Also in the "why not" category...why not just hook the fuel pump up to come on with the ignition?

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

1 minute ago, fortyfour said:

Why not just call John @ Outfront and ask him what to use. No need to get other opinions from the peanut gallery on the subject,  he is hands down the Subi goto guy.  

I agree with this^.   John is known to be the best for Subies.  I used the Holley HP with my new motor but it's pricey and requires a new harness.  John might even have something or recommend something that will work with your harness?  Worth a call...

~jw

32 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Also in the why "not category"...why not just hook the fuel pump up to come on with the ignition?

Lol sounds too simple. Is that all the driver does is run the fuel pump? Bc if that’s the case it would be in a toggle switch before they even loosened the straps off the dyno. 

I suppose there is no high band as well with this ECU. The fuel pump will prime then shut off. As soon as the ECU shows crank signal, it should turn the pump back on. However, it's not doing that. I'm so pissed off at this car I'm about to scrap it and go back to a Jeep   

1 hour ago, fortyfour said:

If you are planning on an engine swap why are you spending money tuning what you have now??

Um, so I can have something to drive in the sand over the next 2 years...  

45 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

I'm so pissed off at this car I'm about to scrap it and go back to a Jeep   

It's a buggy thang, you will never understand! 

Seriously though, the peanut gallery is your friend! The toggle switch suggestion made me laugh out loud. It's so simple that sometimes we over-complicate things. Relay it and off the ignition it goes. Otherwise, talk to John. He will put an end to all subi problems. Ok I haven't added any more than what's already been said so here goes... if you are going to let a fuel pump power issue end your buggy ventures then, go get a rzr. Good luck! 

Can you buy another Link ECU and put your tune into it?  Maybe a used one out there? I know I had a new spare Autronic computer that we sold at a discount.  Personally would not want the fuel pump running off of a toggle. You crash and get incapacitated and the pump keeps running with the engine off. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Link-ECU-1UZFE-VVTI-or-Non-vvti-MONSOON/303044784707?hash=item468ee07243:g:QO4AAOSwVXZbQ878:rk:1:pf:0

Just tie it to a relay off your key on ignition.  Done deal.  My old car was like this.  Worked great.

I will most likely go away from LEM unless John recommends it. They have me soured already. 

7 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

It's a buggy thang, you will never understand! 

Seriously though, the peanut gallery is your friend! The toggle switch suggestion made me laugh out loud. It's so simple that sometimes we over-complicate things. Relay it and off the ignition it goes. Otherwise, talk to John. He will put an end to all subi problems. Ok I haven't added any more than what's already been said so here goes... if you are going to let a fuel pump power issue end your buggy ventures then, go get a rzr. Good luck! 

It's my first EFI car. Cut me some slack. lol It's not just putting the fuel pump on a "hot-wire" kit. This ECU doesn't have a high band. The wires are there for an O2 sensor but they are cut and let hanging by the previous owner... I guess this is a price to pay for buying a "cheap" sand car project. 

Edited by Jonesin'

1 hour ago, Jonesin' said:

It's my first EFI car. Cut me some slack. lol It's not just putting the fuel pump on a "hot-wire" kit. This ECU doesn't have a high band. The wires are there for an O2 sensor but they are cut and let hanging by the previous owner... I guess this is a price to pay for buying a "cheap" sand car project. 

Can you explain this "high band" thing your talking about?  First I have heard of it.

Some of the early link ecm's had an internal board connection that was problematic. Open it up and see if it has a circuit board that is plugged into the main board. Disconnect it( if I remember right its held together with a couple screws), unplug it and plug it back in a few times. That should clean the pins and sockets. Put it back together and give that a try. 

2 hours ago, r3meyer said:

Can you explain this "high band" thing your talking about?  First I have heard of it.

Wide band for the O2 sensor. My bad. John says I have the wrong tuner... LOL! I'm starting to think so also.

Thanks for the help everyone. John at Outfront is setting me up when his order comes in next month. 

4 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

This has bit me in the ass more times than I care to admit. The old saying you get what you pay for applies. In this case I would stop the bleeding and dump that thing. 

2 hours ago, hondajimz said:

In this case I would stop the bleeding and dump that thing. 

No thanks. I knew it needed some work. Just didn't think it was this much, this soon. I'll never get the money out of it that in it now. So, I'll get it running and strip for powder coat. I already have wheels tires and the fabricating done. 

7 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

No thanks. I knew it needed some work. Just didn't think it was this much, this soon. I'll never get the money out of it that in it now. So, I'll get it running and strip for powder coat. I already have wheels tires and the fabricating done. 

Atta' boy!! Show em' how it's done! Trust me, the first full run will make it all worth it!! You'll soon forget all the troubles. Keep pushing!

2 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

Atta' boy!! Show em' how it's done! Trust me, the first full run will make it all worth it!! You'll soon forget all the troubles. Keep pushing!

Haha! If I was going to give up, I would have never bought it... Its very frustrating but, I'll make it right 

23 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

Wide band for the O2 sensor. My bad. John says I have the wrong tuner... LOL! I'm starting to think so also.

agreed. if the driver was dead, it would never prime the pump to begin with. 

I'm just going with a whole new plug and play set-up from John when his order comes in. I don't feel like tinkering with this out dated system anymore...