sausage450r

Rock hounds

Any rock hounds on here? My kids are obsessed with rocks. They want to find some gems and such but i have  no idea where to begin looking. Anyone have books they can suggest?

I sent you a PM on an unrelated topic. You can call me at your earliest convenience.

If you Google "quartzsite az rock hounds", you'll see information on clubs and shows in Quartzsite, AZ.

But if you want a real rockhounding trip with exact directions on where to find cool rocks, I found this one.  I may go there myself on the way to Glamis some day.

San Diego Gem and Mineral Society:

http://www.sdmg.org/

These guys are a wealth of info and lead expeditions all the time. 

Supposedly,  there are geod beds North east of the 78 and South of 10...Wiley Well's road/camp.  I've always thought about stopping and taking a detour, but I'm usually on the way to or from the river when I'm heading through that area, and it is 110 degrees outside.  Also, there's a rock "shop" in Palo Verde, but the old toyota that used to be parked there hasn't been there in a few years,  and the gate has been closed.  Also, thought it would be cool to stop there, but I think I have missed my chance. 

Buy a tumbler.  You can take the kiddos out just about anywhere to collect random rocks or pebbles.  Tumble them for a few days, and they look like gems or make a great base for a fish tank.

Google and research Hauser Geode Beds. You can explore the old diggings and find crystals or maybe whole geodes. Beautiful area too. Ok to camp there.

You can take the Bradshaw Trail there from the Salton Sea (75 mile long dirt road for an adventure), or take the 10 to Wileys Well Rd and go south to just a mile or 2 past the Bradshaw Trail.

DSCN5654.jpg

I think Papa Bear knows about this stuff....you could pm him...

Thanks for the tips everyone. I know there is a science to this as well (like you find gold around iron and brackish quarts). but i know nothing of geology. Was hoping maybe there was a book that could explain where to best find something based on surrounding geology. 

I know there is an old Amethyst mine in Valley of the Moon off In-Ko-pah Park Road/Old Hwy 80.  It's on the map as Smuggler's Den.