NIKAL

Artcic Cat Dealer Show 2/23 -2/24

16 hours ago, donparscale said:

I know a few people with them and they have all been fine. I also know some people with Can Am's that had a lot of problems with them. It is like who is best Ford or Chevy. DON~~~

I should have said reliable 1000cc motor.  The Can Am Commander for sure had its issues, but the motor was not one of them.   

It is a great time to be in the SXS world as there are so many offerings.  !!!

What a great read and thank you for not calling those SxS a car !. 

1 hour ago, Sand Shark said:

I have seen first hand what happens to Wildcats in the dunes.   Ridden with many over the years and almost bought one myself.  The Wildcat and Wildcat X had great suspension going for it and that is about it.  I think every Wildcat X that I have ridden with has replaced a motor at least once and some more.  The drive components don't hold up as they use stuff that was designed for a quad.    Yes they can be a reliable machine if you want to cruise in the dirt.  Once you  start driving mildly aggressive in the dirt or dunes the car will not hold up.  

In those 7 years of ownership how often you take your Wildcat out for rides?  How many miles do you put on your Wildcat every year?   

The reason the Wildcat forum is not busy is because lots of the active members have moved on to other brands out of frustration of waiting for AC/Textron to release something or because they got tires of the issues.   It has nothing to do with people getting there rides dialed in.  

The biggest hurdle the Wildcat XX is going to have is the lack of aftermarket, dealer networks and marketing.   People like aftermarket goodies and the Wildcat XX has Speed SXS for 95% of the aftermarket stuff and only a few others make stuff for it.  Until Textron released the Wildcat XX there were not many dealers left - Bass Pro Shop was the biggest prior to the XX.   The local AC dealer by me gave up the line.  Now there is at least one dealer within 30 minutes.    Guess how many Polaris, Yamaha, and Can Am dealers are close by?  I can think of 8 quickly.  

The other brands for sure have faults, but the aftermarket has a fix for just about anything.  Plus the aftermarket supplies a ton of support for Polaris, Can Am (more so since the X3 was released), the YXZ and  soon the Honda Talon.   

The Can Am X3 front end is fine for 90% of the people.  You stuff it into a dune hard or witches eye and yes it will fold up the bulkhead and might bend the lower a-arms.   The Can Am X3 is no joke and it is stupid fast.  People hit stuff a lot faster than they think and that is what gets them in trouble.  Hence why we see the photos of people smashing the front in the dunes every holiday weekend.   Can Am could do a lot to improve the the front end for sure.  Tighter bolt hole tolerances would be nice.    

Polaris  is a marketing machine and has created a huge following.  They offer the most diverse line up and have some really cool gadgets.   The Turbo S is a really nice car and built well.  The active suspension is super nice and it works.   How many Polaris fires you see in Glamis this season?

Yamaha has its small market.

After watching some of the test ride videos with the Honda Talon it will be a contender in the non-turbo market.  

It is a great time to be in the SXS world as there are so many offerings.  

Again, all your opinion.

I know you're not omniscient nor omnipresent. Therefor what you see and the conclusions you draw are limited to your personal experience. That is all it is, and all I'm asking is that you use the term "my opinion" in there somewhere, because that is really what it is. Unless you've polled everyone who owns a SxS and gotten a response.

I appreciate your opinions, and I think you are correct most of the time, or pretty close to it. From the way you post, it would seem like you're pretty knowledgeable about all SxSs. But I just can't give up that motto I learned as an ESM operator. Trust, but verify. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, socaldmax said:

Again, all your opinion.

I know you're not omniscient nor omnipresent. Therefor what you see and the conclusions you draw are limited to your personal experience. That is all it is, and all I'm asking is that you use the term "my opinion" in there somewhere, because that is really what it is. Unless you've polled everyone who owns a SxS and gotten a response.

I appreciate your opinions, and I think you are correct most of the time, or pretty close to it. From the way you post, it would seem like you're pretty knowledgeable about all SxSs. But I just can't give up that motto I learned as an ESM operator. Trust, but verify. 

My bad I thought the "my opinion" part was inferred when a person posts something.   LOL!

I have been around SXSs for quite some time (Rhino days).   I know none of them are perfect as they are off-road toys. They all have weird quirks and issues that pop up.  The Can Am engineers might win the award for quirky. 

Edited by Sand Shark

I was told by a Huntington Beach Textron dealer who I met at the Sand Show. He said one of the biggest problems he has as a deaker is the Textron/ Arctic Cat  policies to be a dealer. No matter what region your in, you must carry one of each model in stock. On the West Coast the only two models that he sells are the XX & new Havoc. Once in awhile he might sell a original Wildcat X 4 seat. But he has to have trail and utility models on hand. 

Then come year end he has to sell that year’s models at a costs just to dump them. And then order the next years model. 

The other issue he said he’s had is he could sell more XX’s during desert season, but Textron had them backordered, due dealers on the East Coast getting them first. But they are not selling on the East Coast in the winter.

He said from a consumer side you will not see the sales or negotiating deals like you would on a Polaris, because the dealer network is so small and inventory is low, so sticker price or a few hundred off is probably the best you will find. This too will make some buy another brand if they see they can get a RZR for $2K off making it $2-3K cheaper then a XX. 

3 minutes ago, NIKAL said:

I was told by a Huntington Beach Textron dealer who I met at the Sand Show. He said one of the biggest problems he has as a deaker is the Textron/ Arctic Cat  policies to be a dealer. No matter what region your in, you must carry one of each model in stock. On the West Coast the only two models that he sells are the XX & new Havoc. Once in awhile he might sell a original Wildcat X 4 seat. But he has to have trail and utility models on hand. 

Then come year end he has to sell that year’s models at a costs just to dump them. And then order the next years model. 

The other issue he said he’s had is he could sell more XX’s during desert season, but Textron had them backordered, due dealers on the East Coast getting them first. But they are not selling on the East Coast in the winter.

He said from a consumer side you will not see the sales or negotiating deals like you would on a Polaris, because the dealer network is so small and inventory is low, so sticker price or a few hundred off is probably the best you will find. This too will make some buy another brand if they see they can get a RZR for $2K off making it $2-3K cheaper then a XX. 

Textron must of changed the policies.  The then AC dealer by me was allowed to only stock the Wildcat and then the Wildcat X in 2 and 4 seat models.  He did stock some trails.  He was not forced to carrier other models.  

I believe Polaris makes the dealers carrier certain models and so does Can Am.  That is why you will see  Mud models at some of the bigger dealers out here.      

Here is a list of 2018’s Arctic Cats Mars is trying to sell. Like he said he has to blow out the models he can’t sell. 

MarsPowerSportsLogo-2.png
Also visit our new Mars Powersports Website
for Performance Off Road UTV’s/Side by Sides, 
Utility/Recreational Vehicles & More!

THE CAT IS BACK SUPER SALE!
’18 Wildcat Trail XT: MSRP: $12,497 — NOW!: $9,974
’18 Wildcat 4X LTD: MSRP: $18,999 — NOW!: $14,466
’18 Havoc X: MSRP: $17,299 — NOW!: $13,940
’18 Wildcat Sport LTD: MSRP: $15,999 — NOW!: $12,914
’18 Stampede 4: MSRP: $15,199 — NOW!: $11,435

On 3/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, NIKAL said:

Here is a list of 2018’s Arctic Cats Mars is trying to sell. Like he said he has to blow out the models he can’t sell. 

MarsPowerSportsLogo-2.png
Also visit our new Mars Powersports Website
for Performance Off Road UTV’s/Side by Sides, 
Utility/Recreational Vehicles & More!

THE CAT IS BACK SUPER SALE!
’18 Wildcat Trail XT: MSRP: $12,497 — NOW!: $9,974
’18 Wildcat 4X LTD: MSRP: $18,999 — NOW!: $14,466
’18 Havoc X: MSRP: $17,299 — NOW!: $13,940
’18 Wildcat Sport LTD: MSRP: $15,999 — NOW!: $12,914
’18 Stampede 4: MSRP: $15,199 — NOW!: $11,435

It is an almost impossible task for the dealer.  The Trails are actually pretty decent.

I myself think if I get the Tracker XX I can spring board that into a pro bass fishing sponsorship.  LOL! What is Textron thinking with that move?  It really seems with the moves Textron has been making lately they are lost and have no idea on how to market the SXS line up.  

On 3/6/2019 at 4:57 PM, NIKAL said:

Thanks for the excellent information in this post and the entire topic.  This will help me to be patient with my recent interest in the XX, and see what happens in the marketplace and in future versions.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

It is an almost impossible task for the dealer.  The Trails are actually pretty decent.

I myself think if I get the Tracker XX I can spring board that into a pro bass fishing sponsorship.  LOL! What is Textron thinking with that move?  It really seems with the moves Textron has been making lately they are lost and have no idea on how to market the SXS line up.  

Arctic Cat has already been sold in Bass Pro shops for years. What’s  different is branding under the Tracker name. And partnering with Bass Pro under the Tracker name in the Bass Pro shops is s good thing for Arctic Cat in my mind. 

Polaris is huge, and probably would not make a deal like that to brand their vehicles under someone else’s name brand. But Arctic Cat is smaller in the UTV market. Doing this opens up a huge dealer network for Arctic Cat customers. It also helps keep the Arctic Cats production line open,  as now they have signed contracts to build more units. 

There will still be Arctic Cat branded UTV’s. But now you will also have the option to buy a Arctic Cat branded Tracker through Bass Pro or Cabela’s. 

Edited by NIKAL

Posted (edited)

Well the Bass Pro Tracker line seems to already be showing benefits! 

The XX is called the XTR1000.

WildcatXX MSRP 21,900

Tracker XTR1000 MSRP 17,999

http://www.trackeroffroad.com/side-by-side/tracker-xtr1000.html?fbclid=IwAR3Yz6YuWSR7KkO7TjlhnAMlbJ4E4fGiBkyRvivBwY6fFdhH-EX1EIXwmyU

Just noticed the Tracker version gives you a 18 month warranty vs Arctic Cat gives you 6 months for the XX.  That’s 3 times the warranty. Reminds me of how Costco doubles the manufacture warranty on electronics. 

Edited by NIKAL

$17999 is what the MSRP should be for both Tracker and Arctic Cat for a NA car.  This move will likely alienate more AC/Textron dealers.  I have driven one, and it is a nice car that is very ready to go, but $21900 is just too much.  Many of the bigger dealers sell the car in the $18000 range anyway.

That got my attention! Just like Kat said, I've been thinking about the XX but the high cost was killing the urge. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know the in's and out's of the XX, is this XTR part for part the same? The other thing that sounded decent was the "trail package". Aluminum roof, front and rear "glass" for $869......

Much nicer colors vs that ugly green. IMO

On 3/8/2019 at 10:48 PM, NIKAL said:

Well the Bass Pro Tracker line seems to already be showing benefits! 

The XX is called the XTR1000.

WildcatXX MSRP 21,900

Tracker XTR1000 MSRP 17,999

http://www.trackeroffroad.com/side-by-side/tracker-xtr1000.html?fbclid=IwAR3Yz6YuWSR7KkO7TjlhnAMlbJ4E4fGiBkyRvivBwY6fFdhH-EX1EIXwmyU

Just noticed the Tracker version gives you a 18 month warranty vs Arctic Cat gives you 6 months for the XX.  That’s 3 times the warranty. Reminds me of how Costco doubles the manufacture warranty on electronics. 

So re-brand and cut the price.   Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

AC use to re-brand a 400 sport quad back in the day.  It was a Suzuki  400 with AC plastics. 

Textron better figure things out.  I feel like they will be the odd man out if they don't get there act together.  There are lots of choices in the non-turbo market, with more coming.  Textron's lack of dealers and lack of aftermarket maybe the demise.    I really do hope they get it together as I think the Wildcat XX is a nice SXS.

I was looking at the Honda Talon this weekend at a dealer when I was picking up a dirt bike for my kid.   Although it is only 104hp the Honda is really nice and solid looking.  If I were in the market for a non-turbo SXS, I would seriously consider the Honda Talon.   I have to imagine that motor is corked up and  with some mods you could get the hp in the 120 range pretty easily.     Word from the dealer is a 4 seat Talon will be out by the end of Summer and a turbo version will be out next year.  Not sure about a turbo being released, but the 4 seater seems like a real possibility. 

A Si Robertson Duck Dynasty Limited Edition model would sell like Sweet tea.....   :lol:

Weird.