Jonesin'

Relay info

2 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Does that relay box come with the relay pigtails? I can't find any info on it?

That's where it gets tricky. Most pig tails I've seen run the crappiest wire and you would have to build your own. That's why I referenced LT1swap where he explains this. You can buy the black pigtail casing, and use thicker wire with crimp on female ends that insert into the casing. 

No it only comes with wire terminals that you have to crimp onto your own wire and insert into the socket molded into the box. It's time consuming but easy.

Ok. That makes sense now. Hella doesn't offer waterproof pigtails or their relays?

Ok, I just went back to that site to recap what I did... sure enough... 

There is www.allelectronics.com part number srly-2

But also used terminalsupplyco.com for other stuff too. 

Waytek is a great source for electrical needs.  I also like TE connectivity and Mouser. TE will ship samples of stuff for free.  Even the $30 Deutsch bulkhead connectors.  Great if you just need one of something.  McMaster Carr is good too, but the shipping gets a little spendy if you are buying small quantities.  I will buy the smaller stuff off ebay a lot, as it typically offers the pricing..

If you feel like actually talking to somebody versus typing about this, feel free to give me a call when you're diving into it.  Part of my day job is designing 12 volt electrical systems for off highway equipment.

2 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

Ok. That makes sense now. Hella doesn't offer waterproof pigtails or their relays?

548DBDD8-2D4D-4E97-A8BF-2C6454578D0D.thumb.png.5722a41ebe54aa29593e831131f7410a.pngA4D78B1D-CDEB-4B58-99A3-B255A4E5EB67.png.3e0e9ea9a92422baf79bbfed415032ad.png

Hella skirted relay and matching connector. Connector comes with terminals you provide the crimping tool.

1 hour ago, sandkist said:

548DBDD8-2D4D-4E97-A8BF-2C6454578D0D.thumb.png.5722a41ebe54aa29593e831131f7410a.pngA4D78B1D-CDEB-4B58-99A3-B255A4E5EB67.png.3e0e9ea9a92422baf79bbfed415032ad.png

Hella skirted relay and matching connector. Connector comes with terminals you provide the crimping tool.

I can't find these on Kartek

24 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Someone else posted this site and I asked if they were a foreign company... lol

19 hours ago, Dunelover said:

Funny I just went thru the same thing.  I had the best correct waterproof bosch relays but the connectors themselves were the problem.  The trigger wire from the computer failed and the fuel pump would not run.  We made a jumper in the dunes and continued the ride.  The next day the trigger wire to one of the fans failed on the ride to Duners Diner.  

20161028_094312.thumb.jpg.5d1fb015859705e1c10d3a107c2a56ae.jpg

What I suspect is the harness was built  with little or no flexibility.   My decision was to replace it all nd eliminate future potential problems.  I bought this pre-wired waterproof relay/fuse setup off ebay.  I had done one of these bare before on another car and it takes a long time to wire them from scratch. I wasn't going to go thru that again.

20190216_131138.thumb.jpg.b5635929d8a758e9254d8a1acaeb5f8c.jpg

20190216_131149.thumb.jpg.ec2e8a4c2198cac5fd3b5facbe827065.jpg

This waterproof set-up has 5 / 30amp relays with fuses and 5 additional fused circuits for your choice .

I ran all new trigger wires to the ECU, and re-wired all new to  the Oil cooler fans, Right Fan, Center Fan and Fuel pump  (left fan comes on at start-up with the separate 30 second delay relay under the dash). I used one of the fuses for the fuel gauge sender /gauge.  The remaining circuit is still available for future use.  Took about three afternoons but everything is now sleeved & shrink wrap sealed .

I expect no more problems and I still have additional circuits available for future uses. 

20190223_120919.thumb.jpg.f254b6754d68f821a8e79953f8a0a33d.jpg

NOTE:  This picture is without the cover.

DL

20161028_094309.jpg

The Relay/fuse package was not cheap, but everything in it was top quality,  The EATON block, the relays, the top quality XLPE wiring.  I know (from experience) I would have spent more time putting the block together than my time is worth.  All the wire in the harnesses supplied had plenty of length (3ft ea).   Rather than just splicing in the wires into my harness I ran all the relay wires, trigger wires and fused connectors to their termination points;  Disassembling all the weather-pak connectors  and shit canning the old wires

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Waterproof-Relay-Fuse-Distribution-Box-Cooper-Bussmann-w-Ground-Block/181979463677?hash=item2a5ed23ffd:g:4S4AAOSw-kdXxEi4:sc:USPSPriority!92845!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

1 hour ago, Jonesin' said:

Someone else posted this site and I asked if they were a foreign company... lol

Google.  They are just around the corner from you.  Closer than Kartek.

https://www.waytekwire.com/wps/portal/en/contact-us

7 hours ago, Dunelover said:

The Relay/fuse package was not cheap, but everything in it was top quality,  The EATON block, the relays, the top quality XLPE wiring.  I know (from experience) I would have spent more time putting the block together than my time is worth.  All the wire in the harnesses supplied had plenty of length (3ft ea).   Rather than just splicing in the wires into my harness I ran all the relay wires, trigger wires and fused connectors to their termination points;  Disassembling all the weather-pak connectors  and shit canning the old wires

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Waterproof-Relay-Fuse-Distribution-Box-Cooper-Bussmann-w-Ground-Block/181979463677?hash=item2a5ed23ffd:g:4S4AAOSw-kdXxEi4:sc:USPSPriority!92845!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

This looks like the way for me to go. I'll pick up a couple extra relays just in case

I would strongly recommend a relay on each fan. its easier to limp back to camp on 2 fans if 1 relay goes bad then be stuck in the dunes with no fans

16 minutes ago, scott24 said:

I would strongly recommend a relay on each fan. its easier to limp back to camp on 2 fans if 1 relay goes bad then be stuck in the dunes with no fans

True but with that theory it’s even quicker and better to have a spare relay lol. But I also agree for a relay per fan. Makes troubleshooting slightly easier. 

13 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

What does the split box used for?

6 circuits are switched and 6 are constant.  You could also use two different fuse boxes but the split one worked for me.

49 minutes ago, Blacklisted said:

6 circuits are switched and 6 are constant.  You could also use two different fuse boxes but the split one worked for me.

Sorry for all of the questions and this is my first time doing this but, what do the 6 switched do? What does that mean? Sorry for all of the questions and this is my first time doing this.

Instead of having separate fuse panels for switched (ignition on) and constant (battery), this will allow it on one. 

His switched are likely the ECU, fuel pump, radiator fans, Parker pumps, etc.  Things you would kill by turning off the ignition.  While the constant side would things still powered up with the ignition off.  Probably be things like lights, radios, and maybe ECU memory circuit if has one.

22 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Instead of having separate fuse panels for switched (ignition on) and constant (battery), this will allow it on one. 

His switched are likely the ECU, fuel pump, radiator fans, Parker pumps, etc.  Things you would kill by turning off the ignition.  While the constant side would things still powered up with the ignition off.  Probably be things like lights, radios, and maybe ECU memory circuit if has one.

Correct, the switched has fan relay coil, ECU/Ign. and power steering,  Constant has lights, radio, and constant engine etc.  

they make relays with a delay circuit built in . if you only have 1 output from your ecm for the fans you can use a delay to stager the starts on them        https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-996152131?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-hella&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh__QmoDg4AIVQ1cNCh0ZoACNEAQYAiABEgJKhfD_BwE