Megan's Dad

Whole house fan.

Anybody have a guy for whole house fan installation in San Diego (mission valley). 

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Megan's Dad said:

Anybody have a guy for whole house fan installation in San Diego (mission valley). 

Thanks

Make sure you spend the extra money for a good Whole House Fan.   Chris has been through this, and says its well worth the extra money on the front.  I think the good ones are around 1K for your house.  He started out with Home Depot Whole  House fan, wasn't happy.

i have the Quiet cool system and works great. right around 1k for unit and install.

keeping an eye on this, I might be interested also, these pull the cold air from outside right?

I bought a 250$ fan and mounted it in rubber isolators and its every bit as good as a 1k$ fan

Had a few friends with them and they work really well.  Our house was built in 1929 and has 22 windows so a whole house fan would work great.  So I bought a 3' x 3' whole house fan with louvers and never installed it because of my Spanish tile roof and lack of vents.  I have two small soffit vents but it's not enough for this big ass fan and adding the vents wasn't going to be cheap.  We just had an entire new HVAC system and larger return and ducting installed and it works so efficient it cut our electric bill in half during the summer.  Not going to install the fan.

Anyone interested? I can get more details and measurements.Pretty sure it's got a big 220v motor on it.

1 hour ago, doug t said:

i have the Quiet cool system and works great. right around 1k for unit and install.

2 hours ago, Megan's Dad said:

Thanks

Definitely install a quiet cool. They are expensive but WAY quieter than a standard belt driven fan. I have installed both belt driven and and Quiet cool fans and there is absolutely no comparison. You can hardly hear the Quiet Cool fans and the belt driven sounds like an airplane in your house.

We have Quiet Cool Fans in all upstairs bedrooms and they are great!

Edited by dirtlee

We have had a quiet cool system in our house for 12 years or so. I am sure that things have changed, as far as design. We have units  which addresses 500 sq. ft. per unit. So we put one in our living room, our room and our daughters room. They work on 110 and can be controlled individually. They are quiet and have never failed. However, they work by opening windows and pulling in cool air through the house into the attic and out your attic vents. They work great when the temp. is under 80 degrees or so, outside.  Any hotter and you are just pulling in warm air. They are great in the spring and early fall in so. cal. as you don't need to use your central air. Not sure about the other types. Good luck.

My buddy and I do side work. We both work for a union commercial hvac company. I can give him a call and see if he can make time. Let me know if that interests you.

30 minutes ago, big_daddy_jp said:

My buddy and I do side work. We both work for a union commercial hvac company. I can give him a call and see if he can make time. Let me know if that interests you.

Yes it does, actually it will be two units. One at my house and one at my dads (same neighborhood). 

This weekend is the Home & Garden show at thr Del Mar Fair Grounds. The last show we went to there was 5 or 6 whole house fan companies there. This is one of the bigger shows, so I’d expect as many if not more there. 

They had had some pretty good deals last time. Plus it’s a good chance to compare the different brands in one place. 

I read somewhere about increased dust. Any comments on that?

Liberty Mechanical.....Jake i believe is the guys name hes awsome, Quiet Cool is the ONLY way to fly. 

He did my house, new ac, heat, ducting, and fan... then did myneighbors too. no issues. 

I had to google what the whole house fan did, I have never seen one before.  Whats funny is it is the opposite of what we have in Az. with our evap coolers.

10 hours ago, Rucker said:

I read somewhere about increased dust. Any comments on that?

Anything that is outside is getting pulled into your house at a high rate.

With Heating and AC you have a filter to clean the air as it circulates in your house.

With a whole house fan you have nothing but window screens.

1 hour ago, jaybird95 said:

Anything that is outside is getting pulled into your house at a high rate.

With Heating and AC you have a filter to clean the air as it circulates in your house.

With a whole house fan you have nothing but window screens.

So, about as effective as a K&N? :bigrin 

Be sure you have enough ventilation in your attic space to exhaust the air that the fan will be pushing into that area. Getting rid of the very hot air in the attic is part of the way whole house fans work, besides drawing the cooler outside air through the living areas of your house. I live in the Allied Gardens above Mission Valley and have had a whole house fan for over 30 years. They work great if you wait for the cooler evening air coming up the valley from the coast and then open then windows and then turn it on.  We had a few instances where the fan has been turned on accidentally with no doors or windows open, the fan pulled air down the chimney and blew ash from the fire place into the living rooms.   Big mess to clean up.

Sounds like the same thing you have in your RV ceiling  fan, I found in my trailer it works best to open a window on the shady side and suck the cool air in. DON~~~

Edited by donparscale
bad spelling

I sell the quiet cool fans, send me a DM and I can get you the right fan for your square footage. 

dust is not an issue< at least no more noticeable then having windows and sliding glass door open.  What I do notice is when Im running my Quiet Cool fan, my neighbor who dident want to spend the extra $1000 is running his AC all the time.  I runthe air during day, then as soon as the outside air cools off, crank that thing on, and within 30 mins of evacuation the hot air from attic the house is perfect. 

well worth the $$$

Get the big ass one and then do what I do. Stand underneath it till your nipples get hard. Best investment you'll make!