Sndsamplr

The Coobster took a fall

Our fellow GD.comer,  Coobie, did a swan dive and hit Mother G a bit too hard this past weekend.  Although he was trying hard to stand and wanted to ride back to camp, he was in a great deal of pain. We called in the BLM EMT Rescue  for precaution, and it was a good thing we did.  BLM rescue team called in REACH, and flew him out.   He had surgery Sunday and is on the path to full recovery.  Fractured L4.  I tell ya, the man is tough 

The very important thing to remember, when you call 911, try to have GPS coordinates so they can pinpoint your position. After we made the call, the rescue squad showed up within 20 minutes. A few minutes after that, REACH came in and landed where they threw smoke. They did a fantastic job. It’s good to have them out there in case we ever run into something like this.    Hang tough Coobie, we know you will. Well done BLM rescue squad. 

5DE2D3B5-31C2-4DCC-88EC-63B48BBE9B4C.jpeg7FC759E3-6D93-4E3F-AB44-6063F8D4CC49.jpegCB5C9A72-73B4-4978-9B73-8586BFC87332.jpegBCC8B703-8EFF-4171-96F2-7F26C2D00B5D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Get Well Soon COOBIE!!!!!! We are pulling for you BIG TIME!!!

:poule:

Good luck and get well soon Coobie.

@Sndsamplr, can you describe the accident more technically so maybe some of us can learn from it and prevent a similar accident?

Cheers to a quick recovery oldtimer

Get well soon buddy.  

We were in a train line and came  into a  slightly off camber area, turning right, just as we came out of a long bowl, and it was a bit snowblind,  and in that right turn was a small kicker, hard to see.  as I was in the slide, I noticed it coming up quickly, I went through,  and quickly raised my hand to watch out, Stugots followed, braced, and went through, and Coob was third, looking ahead,  and didn’t see it, hit it and got seat bumped into the air.   The compression of the seat bump is what got him. He flew off.  The bike landed on all four tires and kept going, without its rider.  It was about two foot high kicker, not sharp, it rolled, but steep. Just ten feet to the right was smooth.  It was a sweeping turn that I swept a little too far left and hit it.  It was my mistake, and Coob payed the price.  It was on my watch, and it has bothered me a great deal.  When leading, you are responsible for your crew behind you, and I take responsibility for Coob being pitched.   

Damn dude! Sounds and looks painful! It is what it is. There are times when things happen that don't need blame. I think this is one of them. Coobie is no rookie either I assume. Mother G is no angel. She will buck you off when she wants.  Gotta be careful out there. Cheers to a speedy recovery Coobie. 

Get well soon! Looks painful! Glad to see you move your arms.  Could of been worse. 

Man I’ll tell you what, having the right people with you that are prepared makes a hell of a difference.

Really was a bummer to see a friend in pain. Coobie was just back there having some  fun and Mother G bite him, happens to the best of us.

If something happens to anybody and you have a signal for your google Maps to work you can use the "My Location" feature and share it to the BLM Medics, It will pin point your location and give them the coordinates.

The Medics that showed up were some cool dudes that did a great job with Coob. I am glad we stuck around for plan A because plan B was to stick a flag in his butt to mark him and finish our ride!  :lol:

I spoke to Coobie today. The surgery went well and they're releasing him tomorrow. He won't be back to 100% for a long time, but at least he'll be recuperating at home! So glad the surgery went well!

Glad to hear he is ok, never a good thing but hopefully a speedy recovery.

that sux, been there done that sure hope u had REACH Inc,

get well soon  

Edited by I'm Sorry

Get well soon Coobie. 

Always sucks to read about accidents. Glad to see that he is out of surgery and it went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

4 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

We were in a train line and came  into a  slightly off camber area, turning right, just as we came out of a long bowl, and it was a bit snowblind,  and in that right turn was a small kicker, hard to see.  as I was in the slide, I noticed it coming up quickly, I went through,  and quickly raised my hand to watch out, Stugots followed, braced, and went through, and Coob was third, looking ahead,  and didn’t see it, hit it and got seat bumped into the air.   The compression of the seat bump is what got him. He flew off.  The bike landed on all four tires and kept going, without its rider.  It was about two foot high kicker, not sharp, it rolled, but steep. Just ten feet to the right was smooth.  It was a sweeping turn that I swept a little too far left and hit it.  It was my mistake, and Coob payed the price.  It was on my watch, and it has bothered me a great deal.  When leading, you are responsible for your crew behind you, and I take responsibility for Coob being pitched.   

I think you did all you could do.  There are too many variables out there.

Sorry he had a bad day. That’s unfortunately why it’s a big boy sport. Can get a little sketchy out there. Good job to the crew for taking care of a down brother.

10 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

Having put many miles in the front of a ride I can understand your feelings about having things happen on your watch.  Having put a lot of miles riding behind you I know how you are and know that you try to keep the group riding safely.  What you cannot be responsible for is the lack of the riders in your lines situational awareness and that's what happened.  Coobie and experienced rider hit something he could of hit a hundred times and rode right thru it, This time he was not aware of the surroundings.  Like we both know there are only two kind of riders out there. Ones who have crashed and ones who will crash.

I know you are going to continue to beat yourself up  about this for quite a while,  just don't let this effect the enjoyment you have leading that perfect line thru Sweet Spots I & II. 

Also for everybody out there.  If you have an accident where you have somebody who is suffering from a back injury.  When you talk to the dispatcher have them send Air Evac. You do not have to pay for the Chopper until they put you in it. It is best to have one on the way rather than having to have one who was 5 minutes out to having one that is an hour or more away.   With back injuries it could make a big difference in the outcome.

11 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

While admirable to claim it, we all know what can and does happen  from time to time(happened to me a few years back on this very same weekend, ended up with pins and rods in my wrist)... nobody's fault, just an accident. Coobs will be back and better than ever!  :wub:

Sucks to hear about anyone getting hurt out there. Hope he heals up quickly. 

Google maps pin is a good idea. I also have motion x gps. It’s $1.99 for apple, not sure about android. Gives you coordinates as soon as you open it. 

I did suggest he hold out for a "Sponge Bath". It may not help the back, but he will be distracted for a while.

Mother Glamis can be unforgiving at times.

Over the last 50 years, I've taken a few upsets.

The unseen witches eye, over the razorback into clean air, and too many to remember.

I was either too fat or too drunk to get damaged.

Get well soon Coobie.

nurse.jpg

Ouch...get well soon Coobie!

@Sndsamplr I always thought calling a specific BLM number was the best option when something like this happens. I have a number in my phone for BLM Dispatch.

Seems like 911 worked out great.

Hang in there  COOB ...............

I hope for a speedy recovery for you.

Seems to me this years wet sand is taking a toll on everything, be safe out there.

Now, when something like this happens, it is your responsibility to make sure when you get back to camp that you:  drink all their beer, and eat all their food. We don’t want that to go to waste. That’s what a good Duner does.  We made sure we did the right thing.