J Alper

Ball Bearing Billet shifter for PBS and S4 S4D

Gee I wonder why Weddle just sent me and I installed their shifter with a spring in it.  Also I did switch the reverse lever to the right side.

20190108_165148.thumb.jpg.da4417cd797975b5cf77293ea3d62fce.jpg

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Dunelover said:

Gee I wonder why Weddle just sent me and I installed their shifter with a spring in it.  Also I did switch the reverse lever to the right side.

20190108_165148.thumb.jpg.da4417cd797975b5cf77293ea3d62fce.jpg

Gee because it is not a weddle shifter,

the That is a Haggart shifter

Talking to Shawn at the Mint about Transaxles if the Transaxle is a old transaxle it could use the Springs or you can have Weddle update the springs in transaxle

the newer ones, like mine, and when I say newer I think mine is now 5-6 years old do not need the springs if you do not want to add them

after the first style we can work on a spring version next month, after we get the first batch out that we have sold

Edited by J Alper

the spring style we will do will have adjustment for the springs so you can set the tension front and back on each spring

5 hours ago, J Alper said:

Gee because it is not a weddle shifter,

the That is a Haggart shifter

Talking to Shawn at the Mint about Transaxles if the Transaxle is a old transaxle it could use the Springs or you can have Weddle update the springs in transaxle

the newer ones, like mine, and when I say newer I think mine is now 5-6 years old do not need the springs if you do not want to add them

after the first style we can work on a spring version next month, after we get the first batch out that we have sold

Thanks for the clarification,  makes sense.  I was told at the time I could buy either.  I went with the Haggert based on others who said it worked much better than my old Mendi.

56 minutes ago, J Alper said:

the spring style we will do will have adjustment for the springs so you can set the tension front and back on each spring

Now we are talking.

I'll chime in since Jason approached me about this over the weekend.

Should the shifter have a return spring? Yes and No is the official answer.

Yes. Most earlier Mendeola and all of the PBS sequential transaxles use a small spring inside the trans to return the ratchet mechanism to center after a shift. This spring is quite weak and usually not tuned well to operate properly and will cause the "ghost" shift (pulling or pushing the shift lever but no gear change in the trans). Also, cables have inherent drag, especially when they have to make loops and bends, this causes even more troubles with the transaxle not shifting properly. The return spring in the shifter helps overcome this drag and can help the trans properly return to center for the next shift. But, if the spring in the shifter and spring in the trans are not properly synced, they will work against each other and cause ghost shifts. The bolt attaching the rod end to the small shift lever outside the trans needs to simply slide right through the eyelet. Any resistance on this bolt will be pulling the springs against each other and not allowing the mechanism inside the trans to reset after each shift.

No. The new Weddle shift mechanism in what can now be called the Weddle sequential has a stronger return spring built into the transaxle. If the cable has minimal drag and no major bends, that spring should be plenty strong enough to return itself after every shift, this is true with the Albins transaxle as well. It's not a bad thing to have a shifter with a return spring though, as long as the rod ends on the cable are adjusted in a way so the bolt slips right through the eyelets with no resistance.

15 minutes ago, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

I'll chime in since Jason approached me about this over the weekend.

Should the shifter have a return spring? Yes and No is the official answer.

Yes. Most earlier Mendeola and all of the PBS sequential transaxles use a small spring inside the trans to return the ratchet mechanism to center after a shift. This spring is quite weak and usually not tuned well to operate properly and will cause the "ghost" shift (pulling or pushing the shift lever but no gear change in the trans). Also, cables have inherent drag, especially when they have to make loops and bends, this causes even more troubles with the transaxle not shifting properly. The return spring in the shifter helps overcome this drag and can help the trans properly return to center for the next shift. But, if the spring in the shifter and spring in the trans are not properly synced, they will work against each other and cause ghost shifts. The bolt attaching the rod end to the small shift lever outside the trans needs to simply slide right through the eyelet. Any resistance on this bolt will be pulling the springs against each other and not allowing the mechanism inside the trans to reset after each shift.

No. The new Weddle shift mechanism in what can now be called the Weddle sequential has a stronger return spring built into the transaxle. If the cable has minimal drag and no major bends, that spring should be plenty strong enough to return itself after every shift, this is true with the Albins transaxle as well. It's not a bad thing to have a shifter with a return spring though, as long as the rod ends on the cable are adjusted in a way so the bolt slips right through the eyelets with no resistance.

100% agreed, and the adjustment is easy to confirm that both are in sync and should be rechecked once a year just cause things can stretch a bit.  I have had the latest weddle upgrade last year, and my cables are almost straight---I will still use a spring at the shifter regardless of how smooth the bearing is. having both, and being adjusted properly helps me not having any ghost shifts  (X2)

My PBS will ghost shift only when trying to find neutral when stooped from first gear.  If I shift to neutral while coming to a stop then all is well,  the trans will shift to neutral just fine.  All other up shifts and down work as they should.  Like mentioned all the fine adjustments have been made.  All of my cable brackets are .250 steel and do not move in anyway? 

A good way to make a longer shifter without incurring the cost would be to offer an extension that treads onto the stock one and has treads on the other end for the shift ball.  Maybe machine a few different lengths that match the pattern and screw on for extended length.

Just a thought

:poule:

12 hours ago, POULE43 said:

A good way to make a longer shifter without incurring the cost would be to offer an extension that treads onto the stock one and has treads on the other end for the shift ball.  Maybe machine a few different lengths that match the pattern and screw on for extended length.

Just a thought

:poule:

Correct in the above post we have .500  1-2'' extensions,  we can go longer for a cost any longer than 2'' we would have a solid threaded extension

the shifters are tapped for 7/16 hole then we use a threaded 2'' setscrew