Sndsamplr

You may not know that your friend is a bad ass

I had stopped by my "Embroidery Guys" house the other day to have some hats embroidered with the Slappy Racing logo.  My embroidery guy is named Tom, Tom Cameron.  I've known him for over 15 years, and he has embroidered so many things for me and GD.com.  I met him while I was reading a route for work about 15 years ago, and noticed him in his garage running an embroidery machine.  I walked on in and asked him if I could use him to do some "One offs" and such.  He said sure.  Tom was an elderly man, skinny, white hair, wears glasses, rides a street bike, and is very pleasant to talk to.  Over the last 15 or so years, I've talked with him considerably about Glamis, the Veterans Ceremony, the Golf Tournament, and many other stories about Glamis over the years.   He even came out to Glamis last year for the Golf Tournament, and stayed in his tent just outside my trailer.  I offered him to stay in my trailer, but he declined saying,  "It's beautiful out here, I'll be ok in the tent." 

Anyways, back to the story.  When I stopped in a couple weeks ago to drop of the hats for the Slappy Racing logo, I noticed that Tom was wearing a Vietnam Veteran hat.  I looked at him, puzzled, and said, "Tom, you were in Vietnam?"   He replied, "Yes I was."   I immediately replied, "Tom, I've known you over 15 years, and I never knew that."  My mind was now racing, and I stared at him for a couple seconds, and i was thinking maybe he was stationed stateside or something, no way did this pleasant, soft talking old man walk the jungles in South East Asia.   So I asked, "What did you do in Vietnam?"  He replied, "I was a field medic for the 1st Infantry Division, assigned to Charlie Company, out of Lai Khe, 25 miles North of Saigon."  My jaw dropped.  After all these years of talking to him about the Vets Ceremony, my mother and father being Marines, I never had a clue that my friend was a Vietnam Veteran, and one that was deep in the bush.  Well, I guess I never asked.  Right after that, we talked for a brief 20 minutes about what he did while in Vietnam, and I could've stayed there and listened for hours, but I had to get back to work.  I did ask him if he was ok to talk about his time in Vietnam, and that I would love to sit by the fire soon and hear everything, and he said,  "Absolutely, and I do have some article write ups, a narrative in a book, and some other things I can give you if you would like."  I said,  "Absolutely".  And before I left, I told him,  "YOU HAVE TO COME OUT TO THE VETERAN CEREMONY."  He replied, "I will be there."

So, Tom Cameron, the soft spoken, gentle man, my embroidery guy,  Bronze Star recipient, is a total bad ass, and I never even knew it. 

rob_tom.jpg

Here is some stuff he gave me.

pg1.jpg

pg2.jpg

pg3.jpg

pg4.jpg

pg5.jpg

pg6.jpg

pg7.jpg

vietmag.jpg

tom01.jpg

That's Tom on the right.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless him, that was a great read!

Yes God bless those that have served our nation and have lived !,what a fantastic read thank you

Thanks for posting that, great read!

Thank you Tom for your service

The for sharing the story, I loved it.

Welcome home Tom!

Very cool...thanks for posting!

~jw

I really appreciate you posting this and his story. Great read. I really enjoyed it! 

Btw does your sweatshirt say Padre Dam? 

Amazing people doing just ordinary things and you don’t even know where they’ve been.

What a great read sndsmplr. I enjoyed sitting around the fire with Tom. And I had NO IDEA how bad ass that man is! Peace

That is a phenomenal account, Thanks to Tom and thank you for posting it!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your service Tom!

True Heroes don't ask to be one or boast about it.

But if you ask them, they may share an amazing story. We truly have little clue what so many veterans have gone through.

Great Story @Sndsamplr

Wow that was a great read.

Thank you for your service Tom.  

Rad  :flageagle:

That's awesome!

I had the pleasure of taking Tom out on some rides in my RZR last season to give him his first Glamis experience!  Great guy!  I believe it was at last year's Golf Tourney.

Awesome read. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool! I've heard some amazing tales from fellow vets, usually after a lot of beers.

It took me almost 40 yrs to find out more details about my father's involvement and death in Vietnam. It was very enlightening!

WOW....one of the best topics anybody has posted.thanks for sharing

Wow! Great read. Thanks and Thanks to all who serve, have served, and gave all.:flageagle: