sandroosten

Tatum Black Widow S4S to S4D conversion

Posted (edited)

quick question, has anyone done this on the 2006-2008 black widow? it is a tight fit from what I can see between the bottom of the cage and the gas tank.  has anyone had to modify tank? move engine back?  modify cage? or does it just fit in? I know someone has had to of done this?  give me the details peeps. I'm thinking i need a little more transmission as my motor is back at Alper Motorsports getting a little more power! also how does the length fit? does the "torsion" bar need to be boxed out?

Edited by sandroosten

Subscribed, because I think I might be doing the welding LOL  

I don’t have a Tatum, but a Desert Dynamics. I decided to push the engine back vs messing with the fuel cell.  By doing this I needed new motor mounts, a new intake built, new headers/exhaust, new power steering lines, coolant lines, and a few fuel lines. 

I think you will be surprised with how much the S4S will hold.

What kind of power are you thinking you are going to make?

4 hours ago, lincster said:

I think you will be surprised with how much the S4S will hold.

What kind of power are you thinking you are going to make?

Alper is building me a 4000 HP naturally aspirated pump gas ls7 440.

I'm not sure the real problem is the power, the problem is me. I like to slap the crap out of the clutch and wheelie EVERYWHERE.

14 minutes ago, sandroosten said:

I'm not sure the real problem is the power, the problem is me. I like to slap the crap out of the clutch and wheelie EVERYWHERE.

Here's the new winner of horsepower wars!

1 hour ago, acefuture said:

Here's the new winner of horsepower wars!

4200 HP 5000 torque to be exact!

2 hours ago, sandroosten said:

Amen to that. I've been rolling with John for a few years and I  can only tell you what the bottom of his car looks like. Heavy right foot rand left is no slouch. 

you guys are all crazy!

realistically, hopefully my torque number will be around 500 and the HP will will be just shy of 500 to the wheels on 35's

keeping my S4 for alpers 440 build

19 hours ago, sandroosten said:

Then you better get the Albins with the chevy bellhousing and big boy clutch.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:56 PM, sandroosten said:

you guys are all crazy!

realistically, hopefully my torque number will be around 500 and the HP will will be just shy of 500 to the wheels on 35's

Subsribed...I did the 2D to S5 and it was alot of work!  I'm not sure how much bigger the S4D is than the S4 though?  Do a build thread if you decide to do it...I love watching those.  Anyway...I did a 416ci that put 485HP at the wheels and 420 TQ and I'm right at what PBS and McDowell said is the limit for that trans (3K#+ car).  I run 33's and I've been told that's the biggest I should go with the S5/S4.  I would love to run 35's becuase I still hit the cage on the ground occasionally.  I've though about the S4D too.  If you like wheelies and clutching it...I think the S4D would be a good idea.

~jw

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:25 PM, HBLOWEN said:

I don’t have a Tatum, but a Desert Dynamics. I decided to push the engine back vs messing with the fuel cell.  By doing this I needed new motor mounts, a new intake built, new headers/exhaust, new power steering lines, coolant lines, and a few fuel lines. 

we know about the motor somewhat, we started it because we are not sure what everyone is doing with the fuel tank on a Tatum

Anyone  with a Tatum that had done This?

the way we drive the S4 does not hold up at all have broke 2 in camp this year, we are braking the S4 Ring and pinion every year, and want to try to fit a S4D, we are barking the ring and pinon with 416 and 427

but My 454 did not brake the S4D, but broke the Bulk head out of the Prerunner, 

Dumont is just hard on Transaxles, so we need to go bigger,

5 hours ago, J Alper said:

we know about the motor somewhat, we started it because we are not sure what everyone is doing with the fuel tank on a Tatum

Anyone  with a Tatum that had done This?

the way we drive the S4 does not hold up at all have broke 2 in camp this year, we are braking the S4 Ring and pinion every year, and want to try to fit a S4D, we are barking the ring and pinon with 416 and 427

but My 454 did not brake the S4D, but broke the Bulk head out of the Prerunner, 

Dumont is just hard on Transaxles, so we need to go bigger,

Seems like there should be enough room. My car had an albinos in it before I converted to the PBS. 

2 hours ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

Seems like there should be enough room. My car had an albinos in it before I converted to the PBS. 

wonder if the tank is different, on johns looks like the tank almost hits the S4

32 minutes ago, J Alper said:

wonder if the tank is different, on johns looks like the tank almost hits the S4

text me a picture

10 hours ago, sandroosten said:

IMG_5152.jpg

looks bout the same as mine.

not the best angle but you can see the PBS is tight also. like i said this car did have an Albins H pattern in it before.

post-41301-1461853262.jpg