Sign in to follow this  
blackmagic250R

Purchasing a Rail out of state? NEWB questions

I remember back in 07-08, CARB came down on new builds and started mandating that all "manufactured" sand rails needed to pass CARB requirements.  Since that time, I sorta stopped paying attention to it. But now that I am at the point in life where I am looking to buy some of these cars I have a question.

I am noticing some really attractive Sand rails with AZ, NV, WA titles for sale. While these cars are all titled in their respective states do I run any risk in trying to register that car in CA?  Do I have to show the sand rail has a CARB compliant motor if the vehicle is a 2006? 07? 08? Etc. 

Thanks!

Mine didn't have any issues from AZ. Brought it over with title and bill of sale with the car on a trailer, guy came out and did a quick walk around of the car and checked the VIN, did some scribbles on a piece of paper, I paid some money and he sent me on my way. Got the title shortly after. No motor check CARB check etc. 

Same here. Bought a 2007 last year from Arizona. They did want to verify the physical  VIN.

I’m curious if it would make a difference. If it was a manufacture  name on title / builder . 

If it said Sandcars Unlimited ,  Tatum , Funco. as opposed to special construction 

Green sticker vehicles are not in the SMOG program

^^^^ correct. Nothing to worry about emissions wise. 

Perfect! Thank you guys. 

I know green sticker's are not a part of the smog program.

Sure didn't stop CARB from being a part of bikes, atvs, sxs, etc. getting the green light to GET the green stickers. I trust nothing in this state lol 

Thank you!

The last 2 cars I bought were from out of state. 1 from Az and 1 from Washington. All I had to do is do a Vin verification at DMV and pay my fees and boom had me a new title and green sticker. Super easy as long as all of your PW is in order.

I do remember the issues you speak of. I remember builders wouldn't build a turnkey car because of that issue. Basically, they would build you a car and you had to "give" them a motor for the build. At least that was the way around it back then.