Out this weekend in Johnson Valley and found some sandy areas. First time in sand since I got it. Running in 3rd gear , about 25 mph in 4WD. Car slows ( to be expected ) and starts to hop and the engine surges. Slowing down stopped that. Is there a way to fix the hop ? Speeding up did not seem to help . I am worried that the hopping could break something in the drivetrain if I do it all the time. Still on the stock tires - Bighorns set to 15 psi all around. Was thinking there is some shock adjustment to help with this. Taking the advice of a few of you and am going to change out the springs as finances permit. Set on PAC springs.

Lowering your PSI in the tires to 10psi will help in the sand.  You were probably getting tire hop.  

3rd gear 25mph............. Thinking that is your problem, The YXZ loves to be driven like a Banshee.  Keep the revs up!!!! Keep them right below when the white light comes on.

33 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Lowering your PSI in the tires to 10psi will help in the sand.  You were probably getting tire hop.  

X2. 

Thanks guys for the help . Next time out will play with air pressure.  

This thing really impresses me with how tractable it is. 2K rpm in 2nd and it acts like a billy goat going up stuff. It is enjoyable to grunt around. But I will try more rpms next time. 

Johnson Valley has just become my favorite place to go. Depending on babysitting duty , go out again this week.

Again - I appreciate the advice from you.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dbatman said:

This thing really impresses me with how tractable it is. 2K rpm in 2nd and it acts like a billy goat going up stuff. It is enjoyable to grunt around. But I will try more rpms next time. 

Johnson Valley has just become my favorite place to go. Depending on babysitting duty , go out again this week.

Are you sure you're talking about a YXZ? I don't start seeing usable power until 4k and thats with intake, exhaust, cams, and a tune. Do you have the Tubeworks 70/30 kit?

Edited by DarkJuJu

It is a 2016 that I bought used. Dealer had no info on it. As far as I know it is stock. A lot of times I find myself just above an idle in 2,,3 and just give it a little gas and it gets going just fine.Not earth shattering , but it will spin the tires in 2nd when turning. 2k to 5k is where I mostly run all day long.

ya u need to get the rpm up, it  likes to run above 5k

ur chatter or hop is from vary low rpm 

9 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

ya u need to get the rpm up, it  likes to run above 5k

ur chatter or hop is from vary low rpm 

Yep, I may cruise around in 4-5k area but when I am getting in and shifting gears I stay up 7-9k and hauling the mail 10k+

Posted (edited)

You guys are absolutely right about the power. 11K redline is there for a reason. 

Maybe I am just a slow old fart.  Either way , this machine is a total blast , no matter how you drive it.

Edited by dbatman

I have 8 buddies that ride in our group that have YXZs.  They usually do Superstition which has a lot of sand.  They never have issues with hop but they run 8-10 psi in the tires and 5-13K RPM.  Those machines need to rev to make any power.  The only issue with sand they have had is the temp.  They tend to get hot on longer harder runs in the sand.  We just slow down for a few minutes and they cool right down.  

~jw

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I have 8 buddies that ride in our group that have YXZs.  They usually do Superstition which has a lot of sand.  They never have issues with hop but they run 8-10 psi in the tires and 5-13K RPM.  Those machines need to rev to make any power.  The only issue with sand they have had is the temp.  They tend to get hot on longer harder runs in the sand.  We just slow down for a few minutes and they cool right down.  

~jw

Seems like the low tire pressure is the way to go in sand. I only drove in the sand for a short time that day . But I did notice that it took a lot of power to get around. So the 5K rpm + seems reasonable to me. Looking forward to next trip to play in the sand some more. Be neat to have to use  more RPM .

Thank you for the advice jw

Superstition -- take 86 down there ?  Imler rd to OHV?

Edited by dbatman
need information

We also offer a spring kit for the YXZ. It is unique from  all others, in that we run a triple rate in the rear, which allows for a wider spring curve.  We also offer billet pre-load collars to replace the 2 piece OEM ones.  Another big thing is replacing  the reservoir endcaps  with our high volume nitrogen ones that have an actual schrader valve in them; and then properly charging the shocks to 200 PSI. This will help eliminate  the cavitation you are likely also experiencing which gives you undampened rebound and creates some of the bucking.  Also the YXZ is under sprung in the front, and over-sprung in the rear.  This is the main reason why when catching any amount of  air, the back wants to come over the top and pass the front end. Our kit addresses the imbalance,  & transforms how the YXZ rides. 

2 minutes ago, SCHMIDTY said:

We also offer a spring kit for the YXZ. It is unique from  all others, in that we run a triple rate in the rear, which allows for a wider spring curve.  We also offer billet pre-load collars to replace the 2 piece OEM ones.  Another big thing is replacing  the reservoir endcaps  with our high volume nitrogen ones that have an actual schrader valve in them; and then properly charging the shocks to 200 PSI. This will help eliminate  the cavitation you are likely also experiencing which gives you undampened rebound and creates some of the bucking.  Also the YXZ is under sprung in the front, and over-sprung in the rear.  This is the main reason why when catching any amount of  air, the back wants to come over the top and pass the front end. Our kit addresses the imbalance,  & transforms how the YXZ rides. 

Thank you SCHMIDTY. I have looked at your site and am totally impressed .Have heard nothing but good reviews of you and your products.

Unfortunately , I am retired and rely on SS for getting by , and you ( as well as others ) are out of my price range. The PAC springs are something that I can do , one end at a time as funds permit. Have not jumped yet , but I could feel back end wanting to buck even on small whoops. My cheap cure is to back off preload about 3/4" and dial up the rebound to max. Have only run it 2 times like that and it is definitely better. Still futzing around with the compression and may  open up rebound a little to compensate for the reduced preload. All part of the learning curve for me. Back end is tolerable right now - going to do front springs first. Also want to try and add a little more preload in front and see what that gets me. Just a learning curve.

25 minutes ago, dbatman said:

Thank you SCHMIDTY. I have looked at your site and am totally impressed .Have heard nothing but good reviews of you and your products.

Unfortunately , I am retired and rely on SS for getting by , and you ( as well as others ) are out of my price range. The PAC springs are something that I can do , one end at a time as funds permit. Have not jumped yet , but I could feel back end wanting to buck even on small whoops. My cheap cure is to back off preload about 3/4" and dial up the rebound to max. Have only run it 2 times like that and it is definitely better. Still futzing around with the compression and may  open up rebound a little to compensate for the reduced preload. All part of the learning curve for me. Back end is tolerable right now - going to do front springs first. Also want to try and add a little more preload in front and see what that gets me. Just a learning curve.

If you are on a budget, you could always do just the tender kit in the rear, and I could set you up with the front half of the full kit. That would also would be a vast improvement,  as at least it will balance out the car most of the way.. And if you wanted to get the rest of the kit down the road, the tender and related hardware in the back become part of the triple rate. You will find that if you crank up the preload even more in the front, it will ride very abrasively, and will give you even  more chatter in the chassis across the grain than the less than stellar ride the OEM offers 

Started  playing more in the sandy areas that I run across. Definitely need to keep the revs up. Seems like speed is your friend in sand.  It definitely warmed up after about 15 minutes. Had a squeak in driver side wheel. Found that previous owner had got a rock or something jammed into the wheel . Bent the axle and brake rotor. Axle is fixed , rotor is next. Think I will get used rotor / hub - same price as just new rotor and includes shipping. Still playing with shock settings. Need to sell a few things (Mongoose  Argus Fat Bike , 08 DRZ 440 SM ) to get spring set.

It just gets better each time out. My kids and their families do not know what they are missing . My grandson is the only one of them that will occasionally go with us. He rides one of our quads. Nice to spend quality time with him . I enjoy riding with him because he is a very safe rider to be around. Always pays attention to what / who is around him.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, dbatman said:

You guys are absolutely right about the power. 11K redline is there for a reason. 

Maybe I am just a slow old fart.  Either way , this machine is a total blast , no matter how you drive it.

:thumbup:

On 3/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, dbatman said:

Good luck working out the technical things with your Yamaha.

I noticed your Johnson Valley comments and I wanted to say that I'm super excited about going there sometime in the next 1, 2 or 3 weeks.  My 29" GBC Dirt Commanders were delivered this week, and mounted today, and these 8 ply tires give me the confidence and excitement to tackle Johnson Valley for the first time, which has been on my mind a lot recently.

Regarding the photo, my son and I rocked the Maverick back and forth today in the back, and there is SO MUCH clearance and travel available for me and my driving style.  I'm not going to be jumping anything, so what you see in the photo is enough to have a lot of fun at Johnson Valley in the sand and other terrains.

GBCDirtCommandersRear2_42.jpg

GBCDirtCommandersRear1_42.jpg

26 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Good luck working out the technical things with your Yamaha.

I noticed your Johnson Valley comments and I wanted to say that I'm super excited about going there sometime in the next 1, 2 or 3 weeks.  My 29" GBC Dirt Commanders were delivered this week, and mounted today, and these 8 ply tires give me the confidence and excitement to tackle Johnson Valley for the first time, which has been on my mind a lot recently.

Regarding the photo, my son and I rocked the Maverick back and forth today in the back, and there is SO MUCH clearance and travel available for me and my driving style.  I'm not going to be jumping anything, so what you see in the photo is enough to have a lot of fun at Johnson Valley in the sand and other terrains.

GBCDirtCommandersRear2_42.jpg

GBCDirtCommandersRear1_42.jpg

Looks fine to me. We do no do any rock crawling when there. YXZ not set up for that. Still on the stock Bighorns . Gets us up and over the stuff we play on .

We go in off 247 at Boone Road.  We usually park just past the bridge you come to.  Lots of other nice areas to camp  farther out.

Tons of neat trails and sandy areas all over the place. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

18 minutes ago, dbatman said:

Looks fine to me. We do no do any rock crawling when there. YXZ not set up for that. Still on the stock Bighorns . Gets us up and over the stuff we play on .

We go in off 247 at Boone Road.  We usually park just past the bridge you come to.  Lots of other nice areas to camp  farther out.

Tons of neat trails and sandy areas all over the place. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

Thanks for the tip on where to turn off and park.  I was looking at other roads farther down than Boone, but now I can see that Boone takes you to the center of the action where the most people are camping.  So that's the best place for me as a first-timer. 

43 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks for the tip on where to turn off and park.  I was looking at other roads farther down than Boone, but now I can see that Boone takes you to the center of the action where the most people are camping.  So that's the best place for me as a first-timer. 

FYI - on weekends , more people / groups  are camped farther out near or on the lake bed.