Sign in to follow this  
Supergnario

Vw Sandrail 3x3 coilover valving

I have a 93” wheelbase two seat beam Sandrail with a vw engine. I have 10” fox coil overs with 3x3 trailing arms. The current valving shins are all .08 for both rebound and compression. I’m unsure what the car weighs.  The car bottoms on g outs and any significant hits very easily. Currently I am getting 13.5” of travel. What valving  do you all reccomend as a starting point? I’m aware it may take a couple of tries to get this right. 

Have a 4 seat beam no coils in the rear but had 25mm torsions and only 1 inch longer arms my rear weight was about 940-950. I had 50/90 at first it was on the stiff side went with 40/70 and it seemed perfect with 1-2 people in car. 

Went to a Honda so added more weight I changed it to 50/80 seems fine with just me. With wife and kids a lil too soft. These are fox 2,0 shocks. 

50/90 on mine worked pretty well for duning, but a bit stiff on whoops. 

What spring rates?

I’m unsure on my spring rates, because the numbers are worn off.  The height it sits at with the preload set at 2 5/8” currently is about perfect.

It's hard to go off others info on this.

-If your shocks a mounted different you may have more or less leverage 

-Weight of your car compared to another will be different 

-Different wheel, tire, and brake setups will change the unsprung weight

Definitely not enough valving, but I would also worry about springs with limited travel. The 2-3” preload guideline is good for 18+” of travel but I find in the dunes a bit more spring is nice for g-outs and jumping. Even more so with 13” of travel. Less travel = more spring.  Maybe target no MORE that 2” of preload. Then 12/10 should be pretty close. (Sorry, haven’t memorized the Fox #’s). 10’s might not be enough rebound control though...

15/12 is would be harsh I bet.  Good control at high speed but rough in the ruts. 

i would stay the .012 full stack on compression and .010 full stack on rebound would be a good start. are you running dual rate springs or a single rate? how much shock shaft is showing at ride height?

I currently have my shocks apart. It’s a dual rate setup. Going to start at 12 compression and 10 rebound. As soon as I get them back together and charged I will measure the amount of shock shaft showing. I will have the car out in the sand at the end of next week and will re-evaluate then.