aboveall1

Who wears a helmet?

Call mom so we all know everybody has to wear a helmet in a SXS, but who wears them in a Sandrail? And which helmets seem to work the best to keep the sand out of your eyes? We wear helmets on our sand world rides but we’re looking for a new and better helmet. Please tell me what you guys got.

If I have to wear a helmet in a rail or SXS...I prefer a full face street bike helmet.  I like having the flip up clear face shield.  It makes wearing sunglasses and then simply taking them off to transition to night a breeze.

You can go spend a ton on a helmet but I've always been happy with a HJC in a rail or SXS.  Rugged usually has them for under $100.  You can add an intercom for another $100.

19 minutes ago, Mac said:

If I have to wear a helmet in a rail or SXS...I prefer a full face street bike helmet.  I like having the flip up clear face shield.  It makes wearing sunglasses and then simply taking them off to transition to night a breeze.

You can go spend a ton on a helmet but I've always been happy with a HJC in a rail or SXS.  Rugged usually has them for under $100.  You can add an intercom for another $100.

That's what I use as well, HJC with the rugged kit.

I don't wear one in my rail but have been thinking about it. I rode street bikes for a long time, I prefer the higher end helmets for the weight and the fit.  People are selling mildly used helmets on CL for cheap.  I have a Shoei and so does the wife

The only time I have ever been upside down in a rail I was the unfortunate passenger in a friends rail. I was snuggly fastened In the 5 point harness and could not reach any of the cage around me me. I still hit my forehead on the bar as we went over and I sat there for a few minutes thinking I could have really hurt myself. Luckily i didn’t but I never rode anything without a helmet again. I like the full face off-road racing helmets that have the replaceable clear screen and the filtered air tube (you can add a Parker pumper pretty cheap). Nice to have the radio kit already installed. Great when the wind is blowing you can drive right into it. 

I wear an Adventure Helmet in the SxS, Rail and ATV. 

• 3510-000_Valiance%20Gray_07.jpeg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

I recently made the switch to a helmet in my rail. Best move a I ever made my visibility tripled, goggles are very limiting, but i had no idead cause i never tried anything else. I have Zamp side air helmet. I think a helmet built for fresh air would be the best at keeping  sand out. I have not installed a pumper yet and it still does a great job at keeping the sand out. once I get around to putting a pumper on it will create positive pressure inside the helmet keeping all sand out. I did have to modify the cheek pads some to put the rugged helmet kit in it. 

https://zamp-inc.myshopify.com/collections/zamp-auto-kart/products/rz-58-white-side-air-intake

I've always worn a full face street bike helmet in my sandrail. Partially because I could never find goggles that could keep the sand out and even if they did, the rest of my face got sandblasted by sand at 70 - 80 mph and it really hurts. It also protects your head and cuts down on noise when talking on the intercom or radio. 

Posted (edited)

I did in the begaining and you can haz out a street bike helmet in one good weekend following. At 40 bucks a pop, I got tired of replacing them and that was 10 years ago. The set up I did like was a 3/4 street bike helmet and Oakley sand goggles. 

I don't wear one now and don't plan on it. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Thanks for the input guys,

that really helps my decision on what type of helmet to get.

Posted (edited)

I wear a full face with top air, tearoff's, works perfect. I use speaker earplugs, with just speakers it's noisy and hard to hear the the 2-way radio.

You only get one brain in life, protect it.

Edited by rampage42

My sand rail doesn't have a hood or windshield.  So wearing a helmet with a face shield similar to the one posted by Ridered helps keep the sand out of my eyes without having to wear googles.

However, I will admit that getting a little sand in my crotch is NOT a bad thing.  :bigrin

It reminds of the days gone bye when times were much more simple running with our old school buggies. :igar:

I use my HJC from when I was racing and I also have a BILT helmet that I added a comm kit to it. Way better than goggles IMO. 

I'm not that smart so when I'm just cruising around I don't wear one. Then once I think I'm going to go hard mode I put it on. I'm starting to think I just need to keep it on. I wear my dirtbike helmet but maybe I need to invest in yet another helmet to hang on the wall 350 days out of the year. 

Posted (edited)

It’s pretty obvious whether you should or should not.  Strap your self down good, move around, if your nugget can get within 8-10”

of any tubes you should wear one or get a new car. My scu and racer the front passengers had no issues but the rear did. If your nugget clears all tubes by a good 10” then the helmet will do nothing but increase the wiphlash effect and likely break your neck. Why the race cars have the neck restraint systems. Now if you wreck bad enough to bring your cage to your nugget, I guess all bets are off and you’d of wanted that helmet. But I try not to drive so hard that I would put myself in such a bind, and I’d get stoutest chassis I could find. You won’t find helmets on my kids. They have neck braces but no helmets. No way they can hit a tube and the helmets will snap there neck if it gets bad. It’s a personal choice just make yours from a logical standpoint 

Edited by Jetjock15

Every one in my group wears a helmet.  Arai Xd4 is my choice, its $550 ,but fits my head perfectly, I like the visor for the sun and has a pull down shield too 

Couple of things for me,

When I lead I wear my Sunglasses Heatwaves,

But when I follow, I really don't want a broken windshield,  don't want to deal with the windshield issues just me,

So When I follow the Helmet works Great, no sand and can see great

Big Big Issue I also have is first helmet just had speakers AND I HATED IT,  you could hear everything

EAR CUPS LOOK INSIDE HELMET IN PICTURE,  now I have a simpson with EAR CUPS it is like a head set on steroids you can not hear a thing but the music,  NO sand but does feel heavy on the head,

HELMETS CAN BE DANGEROUS ---- I have had some race cars and the big thing was a neck brace, I feel a helmet will cause some injury without a neck brace I am guilty of not using one at first but have a good Karting brace, it goes down your back for more support, 

I can not believe all the Dumb azzes on SXS without a brace, just crazy  

you have to get a polarized lens, it makes you look cooler, must match the color of your car, for the full effect, LOL

1320-EC_7baa369e-49a9-48ae-a3ad-23706637910c_1583x.jpg

68-8910-simpson-outlaw-bandit-shields.jpg

these are the 2 I like allot of rear support and the simpson has allot of front support,  I have been in a couple of ejections and they worked good for me,

rw200.jpg

simpsonkartingneckbrace.jpg

I don't wear a helmet in my car. I don't drive fast but I forget that other people do. After this post I will definitely get one. 

So let me get this straight, I can use a helmet that comes with it's lens and not use goggles? 

I was thinking of getting this one. I have to try it on and see how it fits. 

Anyone use this one without goggles?

Screenshot_20190316-231800_Amazon Shopping.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, Turn and Burn said:

The only time I have ever been upside down in a rail I was the unfortunate passenger in a friends rail. I was snuggly fastened In the 5 point harness and could not reach any of the cage around me me. I still hit my forehead on the bar as we went over and I sat there for a few minutes thinking I could have really hurt myself. Luckily i didn’t but I never rode anything without a helmet again. I like the full face off-road racing helmets that have the replaceable clear screen and the filtered air tube (you can add a Parker pumper pretty cheap). Nice to have the radio kit already installed. Great when the wind is blowing you can drive right into it. 

matters on the car, rolled my DD car twice, once went over 2 times, head never came close never felt anything,

first rail did 2 Cart wheel then 2 roll overs, same never hit my head,

and my Rock buggy went over once,

Every Car I built I try to make sure had plenty of head room,

Really just scary how no one wears a neck brace

Does this keep the sand out pretty good?

11 hours ago, J Alper said:

Couple of things for me,

When I lead I wear my Sunglasses Heatwaves,

But when I follow, I really don't want a broken windshield,  don't want to deal with the windshield issues just me,

So When I follow the Helmet works Great, no sand and can see great

Big Big Issue I also have is first helmet just had speakers AND I HATED IT,  you could hear everything

EAR CUPS LOOK INSIDE HELMET IN PICTURE,  now I have a simpson with EAR CUPS it is like a head set on steroids you can not hear a thing but the music,  NO sand but does feel heavy on the head,

HELMETS CAN BE DANGEROUS ---- I have had some race cars and the big thing was a neck brace, I feel a helmet will cause some injury without a neck brace I am guilty of not using one at first but have a good Karting brace, it goes down your back for more support, 

I can not believe all the Dumb azzes on SXS without a brace, just crazy  

you have to get a polarized lens, it makes you look cooler, must match the color of your car, for the full effect, LOL

1320-EC_7baa369e-49a9-48ae-a3ad-23706637910c_1583x.jpg

68-8910-simpson-outlaw-bandit-shields.jpg

Polarized lens might make racepack/AIM/IPAD hard to read... I was using polarized sunglasses forever for dunning till I got the IPad in dash that controls the music. Had to go with non polarized 

I flipped my sand rail a few years ago and was hanging upside down. When I released the 5 point harness I heard a loud “THUD”.   Fortunately it was my helmet hitting the inside of the roof and NOT my head. 

Years ago I took a friends kid,  8 years old with a helmet and no neck brace or support a ride in my sandrail. Half way into the ride she said her neck was sore.  I turned around and drove as slow as i could back to camp. After that I will never give a kid a ride without some type of neck brace or support again wearing a helmet.