Havasushadow

Motorhome + Trailer length

You might as well check yourself into prison now........

I’m just under 65 feet. Not because I was worried but that is just how it worked out. When my younger kids need quads, I’ll be in the market for a longer trailer. Won’t even hesitate to be over length. I usually drive by one motto..... DONT DRIVE LIKE AN A-HOLE! Worked for me so far. 

I was in Glamis this weekend and I swear I saw a dude close to 85 feet. It was crazy. Didn’t talk to him but I imagine he hasn’t had any issues if he’s still rolling it out. 

Andrew

2 hours ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

You might as well check yourself into prison now........

I usually drive by one motto..... DONT DRIVE LIKE AN A-HOLE!

There must be a DOT prison cell with my name on it for all the 'illegal' stuff I drive...

Screenshot_20190318-204012_Photos.jpg

I was told 95' feet. Pretty sure it was closer to 110 feet...

20181214_144546.jpg

This one might be slightly over 65 feet...

20160923_115603.jpg

And I may have be a tad over 65 feet with my coach and a 30' flatbed.

But as you stated- DON'T DRIVE LIKE AN A-HOLE.

3 hours ago, Markha said:

Was thinking the same thing. Not sure about NV, but CA goes up to 70 ft with a doubles cert. but that is total length. LOL. 

Its 75' as long as both trailers are no longer then 28.5'. Now if its a commercial  car hauler with the king pin behind the rear most axle you can go 70' on a single trailer combination. There is a few 100 more pages but I'll stop there. :coocoo:

18 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

There must be a DOT prison cell with my name on it for all the 'illegal' stuff I drive...

Screenshot_20190318-204012_Photos.jpg

I was told 95' feet. Pretty sure it was closer to 110 feet...

20181214_144546.jpg

This one might be slightly over 65 feet...

20160923_115603.jpg

And I may have be a tad over 65 feet with my coach and a 30' flatbed.

But as you stated- DON'T DRIVE LIKE AN A-HOLE.

:bag:

My brother-in-law was stopped on the 10 fwy. The CHP officer said that she stopped him for doing 57mph., but when she walked up to his motorhome, she had a roll-a-tape under her arm and told him that he also looked over length. He assured her that he was right at 65'. After she measured his rig, she said he was OK, just slow down.  His motorhome is an older class-A non basement model, and the trailer is 26' standard height, so the whole setup looks like a train.  

I was told by my old boss that one weekend the CHP commercial guy's set up shop right outside of Pamona while the NHRA drags were going on. They had the pit area so screwed up due to turning the over length rigs around telling them they would have to figure out a way to be California legal before they could leave.  Took him an extra 2 hours to get out of  there.

All it would take is one CHP commercial watch commander to say , "Hey I got an idea."  and heads will start to explode.....

AHHH good old AZ, no length limit if you are not commercial, just another reason to live were Trump is president

BTW have a nice 22 foot enclosed for sale, fits a sand car, 96 wide rear door, drive over ramps, moving up to a 28 foot, some one buy it, keeps you under that 65 foot, Ill even deliver to Cali if I get the one in LA Area

2 hours ago, MWB said:

All it would take is one CHP commercial watch commander to say , "Hey I got an idea."  and heads will start to explode.....

With the stupid long 80'+ rigs these ballers are rolling out that day is coming.

14 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

AHHH good old AZ, no length limit if you are not commercial, just another reason to live were Trump is president. 

Not exactly true but regardless once you leave AZ you have to be legal in the state you enter. And why do you leave AZ don't you have dunes? :lol:

Have you found a new RINO to replace McCain, asking for a friend? I hear the Dems have a new dossier they need delivered. :1cheff:

8 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

With the stupid long 80'+ rigs these ballers are rolling out that day is coming.

Not exactly true but regardless once you leave AZ you have to be legal in the state you enter. And why do you leave AZ don't you have dunes? :lol:

Have you found a new RINO to replace McCain, asking for a friend? I hear the Dems have a new dossier they need delivered. :1cheff:

not true All rules are by the state you are from, been through this once before, as long as you are not commercial, give me a ticket but it wont stand.

And BTW we have the bi sexual senima now, just as good as McCain. We do have dunes, look up Bowie Hot wells, just not quite as cool, and when the wall is built it will be at El centro so AZ annexs the dunes

2 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

not true All rules are by the state you are from, been through this once before, as long as you are not commercial, give me a ticket but it wont stand.

This is why I need to not give my opinion on these types of threads. I only spent 15 years of my 25 year career as a motor unit working traffic. Been to court more times then I can count. Been through untold hours of training but I'm sure you are right. Have a nice day, I'm out.

2 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

And BTW we have the bi sexual senima now, just as good as McCain. We do have dunes, look up Bowie Hot wells, just not quite as cool, and when the wall is built it will be at El centro so AZ annexs the dunes

I’ll bite. Does this apply to all laws or just traffic? What if I bring my street legal AZ SxS in to CA? Can I drive it? What about window tint? Speed limits? DUI? Guns? 

I pray nobody takes this advice and uses it. Please follow the law of the state you are currently in. Not where you’re from.  

32 minutes ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

I’ll bite. Does this apply to all laws or just traffic? What if I bring my street legal AZ SxS in to CA? Can I drive it? What about window tint? Speed limits? DUI? Guns? 

I pray nobody takes this advice and uses it. Please follow the law of the state you are currently in. Not where you’re from.  

So would i need to call the AZDMV and request a 2nd license plate for the front of my truck just because I drive into California? 

There are things that you do have to follow once you cross the river and there are things that they have to reciprocate. For instance we do not have that stupid endorsement for 5th wheels that you have this doesn't mean I cant tow a 5th wheel over the blah blah blah in California, but I cannot tow doubles in Cali without a doubles endorsement from Az even though I can do it in Az in a non commercial situation. 

If what you are saying was 100% true Az could pass a law that all cars or trucks that have a front license plate must have tinted drivers and passenger  windows. Making it illegal for anybody from California to drive into Az.  even though I have had friends have to remove the tint from there windows on the I-10 in California. 

32 minutes ago, MWB said:

So would i need to call the AZDMV and request a 2nd license plate for the front of my truck just because I drive into California? 

There are things that you do have to follow once you cross the river and there are things that they have to reciprocate. For instance we do not have that stupid endorsement for 5th wheels that you have this doesn't mean I cant tow a 5th wheel over the blah blah blah in California, but I cannot tow doubles in Cali without a doubles endorsement from Az even though I can do it in Az in a non commercial situation. 

If what you are saying was 100% true Az could pass a law that all cars or trucks that have a front license plate must have tinted drivers and passenger  windows. Making it illegal for anybody from California to drive into Az.  even though I have had friends have to remove the tint from there windows on the I-10 in California. 

Reciprocity does exist in some rare occasions. He did not say that. He said “ALL rules are by the state you are from.” Which is why I asked about DUIs and guns and if it was all laws or just traffic. Neither of which is “ALL” rules. This is poor advice. 

1 minute ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

Reciprocity does exist in some rare occasions. He did not say that. He said “ALL rules are by the state you are from.” Which is why I asked about DUIs and guns and if it was all laws or just traffic. Neither of which is “ALL” rules. This is poor advice. 

Yes it is, Just seems to be no particular rhyme or reason on what they accept and what they don't.

15 minutes ago, MWB said:

Yes it is, Just seems to be no particular rhyme or reason on what they accept and what they don't.

You got that right. With California being the worst of them all. 

Wait a cotton pickin minute here...CA is all About Illegal stuff entering and being CA!!!!

Ok you are right not ALL RULES, but yes I dont have to have a front license plate, etc. I have been pulled over and ticketed for over length, as that is what we were discussing, and that did not stand up in court, and it was stated from a judge as, CA must give reciprocity to rules from the drivers state, and CA cannot expect vehicles to change once we cross a state line.  Why this applies to length and not SXS or doubles, I have no idea, I just know length seems to be OK???

Sorry for stating everything, just a morning F UP

Reciprocity is mainly for your drivers license . If your home state allows you [non commercial] to pull doubles, travel trailer or motor home with no indorsements you can go into other states

as long as you are legal in your home state.   Once you cross a state line you must comply with all that state laws  about speed, weight and length and lane control. Reciprocity also mean that if you bad boy in a different state they will tell your home state and the problem will show up at dmv

California has the shortest kingpin to rear axel of all 50 states [ commercial ]   some states have no king pin to rear axel setting . you must and will  change the king pin setting when you enter California to 40 feet or the chp dot will park you and issue you a ticket

This was many years ago when I was a kid so the I may not be 100% accurate with the facts  but my dad used to pull doubles to Oregon dunes every other year for 10 years. One year, he got pulled over by the Oregon State Troopers  and they said he couldn’t do it unless he was a commercial driver that complied with all the rules such as log books, rest periods, etc.... They made him drop his second trailer, drive to the border and then come back and get the other trailer. My dad was livid. Argued for hours. Finally, he dropped the trailer, drove 10 miles out of town, came back and hooked everything up and hauled ass to the border. 

Moral of the story..... rules should be the same across the board for all states. 

6 hours ago, dbart said:

Wait a cotton pickin minute here...CA is all About Illegal stuff entering and being CA!!!!

And your taxes are paying for it. ☺️ DON~~~

14 hours ago, MWB said:

I was told by my old boss that one weekend the CHP commercial guy's set up shop right outside of Pamona while the NHRA drags were going on. They had the pit area so screwed up due to turning the over length rigs around telling them they would have to figure out a way to be California legal before they could leave.  Took him an extra 2 hours to get out of  there.

I remember that weekend, there were some pissed off drag racers. The Bud King was way over. DON~~~