Havasushadow

Motorhome + Trailer length

Hope this is in the right section.

What is everyones average total length RV and trailer?

Are there a lot of folks over 65' and does anyone have issues with CHP and had to drop the trailer or ticketed.

Whats more common ticket and on your way or drop the trailer? Thinking about 69ft with the trailer im looking at.

Cliff's Notes is ALLOT of people have done it for years without any issues, only a very small few have actually gotten a ticket, even fewer had to drop their trailer.

This topic has been debated on GD many times - but the above is the end summary of what people have experienced.

:cheers:

Posted (edited)

Do you have non-commercial Class A license? 

Edited by 1newbie
update

I have yet to see a person post a pic of an 'over length' ticket.

I am right under 65'. My biggest concern being over length is if I ever got in an accident and my insurance denied the claim for being too long or am put "at fault ". Not facts to back my concerns, only speculation that it would happen 

All it takes is being at the wrong place at the wrong time with the right cop.

18 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

I am right under 65'. My biggest concern being over length is if I ever got in an accident and my insurance denied the claim for being too long or am put "at fault ". Not facts to back my concerns, only speculation that it would happen 

if u got into an accident speeding in your car would your insurance cover it ?

Thanks for the replies

just inquiring and real hesitant. I see over length rigs all the time. Wondering if it’s rare to get hassled or should be expected as normal to hastled

46 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

if u got into an accident speeding in your car would your insurance cover it ?

Same as DUI. Insurance will pay- over length and over weight and bald tires and speeding, and, and, and...

47 minutes ago, Havasushadow said:

Thanks for the replies

just inquiring and real hesitant. I see over length rigs all the time. Wondering if it’s rare to get hassled or should be expected as normal to hastled

Out of CA probably wouldn't be a problem but in CA you are taking a chance. DON~~~ 

Moho is 35.5 and trailer is 28' including tongue here, switched from a 39'  garage model fiver cause I heard I needed a non comm class a due to the extreme weight. Sold trailer and never looked back, we Like the moho better

Posted (edited)

Back in 07 a group of us went to Idaho. One of our group was stopped and cited for over length by the CHP and sent on her way. It was a monster Weekend Warrior with a huge garage towed with an F650. Before that I know a member here was stopped and measured moho with a box he was just under but measured way under when the CHiPie had him hold one end of the tape. :lol:

I haven't personally know any other instances. I do know there are a growing number of rigs in the 80' range. Time will tell if that causes an increase in enforcement.

A little rant. Today's Trucks can haul 2 - 3 times what they could just 22 years ago. Yet the laws limiting them where written 50 plus years ago. We still go 55 (which was started in the 70 during the oil enbargo) because  a vehicle traveling at a 15 mph difference in speed isn't unsafe on a CA freeway but is flat out dangerous on city streets and 48 other states. CA speed and lane control laws are about anything but safety as is the length laws. I don't believe a short trailer with a very high center of gravity is safer then a standard trailer that's 6 feet longer and weights 3 - 4k lbs less but that's how the laws writen.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Been over length my entire life. :lol:  Couldn't resist that one. 

I am 73ft and in California. When I tow I keep the speed down in the populated areas and on the open highway stay at about 65 mph. I have been passed by many CHP doing 65 mph with this setup and have never even gotten a look. This season I had an issue with my rear air bags and had to stop on the side of an on ramp and crawl under the motorhome. CHP pulled up next to us and just wanted to make sure we were ok. Oh and the last few trips my trailer has not had plates because they were stolen. Guess I should get those replaced. 

So is it a concern... yes. Do I worry about it... no. Most of my friends that are cops don't know the length limit. I even have a friend that is a full time commercial class a driver that doesn't know the length laws. 

My take is don't do anything to get pulled over and you will probably be ok. Unless you just happen to run into a commercial CHP that is having a shitty day. 

I'd rather keep my Moho and enclosed under 65 feet and roll the dice at a crap table in Vegas.  :bigrin

I'm at 68-1/2' and never had a problem.  Towed up to Reno a few times and Glamis on big holidays.  Never an issue.  My only concern is its a PITA to pull into Grocery store parking lots and finding Gas stations.   U-Turns are usually done over a few city blocks. :ranting:

Over length will get you caught with a commercial (for hire, for profit) rig need to go through scales, commercial strike force, etc... RV you can fly under the radar forever unless some strange circumstance you do get caught.   

30 minutes ago, stetler said:

I'm at 68-1/2' and never had a problem.  Towed up to Reno a few times and Glamis on big holidays.  Never an issue.  My only concern is its a PITA to pull into Grocery store parking lots and finding Gas stations.   U-Turns are usually done over a few city blocks. :ranting:

I'm a little long too...

20161024_153735.jpg

69' 10"

Nevada is 75-feet,

but all the good dunes in CA,

On 3/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, Markha said:

Been over length my entire life. :lol:  Couldn't resist that one. 

I am 73ft and in California. When I tow I keep the speed down in the populated areas and on the open highway stay at about 65 mph. I have been passed by many CHP doing 65 mph with this setup and have never even gotten a look. This season I had an issue with my rear air bags and had to stop on the side of an on ramp and crawl under the motorhome. CHP pulled up next to us and just wanted to make sure we were ok. Oh and the last few trips my trailer has not had plates because they were stolen. Guess I should get those replaced. 

So is it a concern... yes. Do I worry about it... no. Most of my friends that are cops don't know the length limit. I even have a friend that is a full time commercial class a driver that doesn't know the length laws. 

My take is don't do anything to get pulled over and you will probably be ok. Unless you just happen to run into a commercial CHP that is having a shitty day. 

LOL...good one Mark!  I was wondering how long it would take :)

X2...I will be 2' over length with my new trailer when I get it.  I've spoke with many CHP officers that have no clue what the max lenght or weight is...  I even asked a commercial guy working the scales on the I-5 and he didn't know! REALLY! WTF?  I'm just gonna go for it and hope for the best.   I guess I'll pay the ticket if I get one.

~jw

This one was right at 90 feet long. 4 car stacker held my Predator, JP Designs car, Warrior Buggy and Yukon XL (Suburban).

Pulled it to Glamis twice through 6 states. 1400 miles one way. 

I built the trailer for four cars and the coach had sleeping for 13 people with 300 gallons fresh water and 160 gray and 160 black tanks.

My new coach will sleep 6 but the trailer will still be a four car and over all the whole rig will be a little closer to legal, but I never had any problems from any LEO’s with my old one. Traveling so far I was prepared to gladly pay the fine if it happened I even had a hitch in the Yukon (2500) that could have pulled the trailer if I had to.

20AABE45-4172-49B1-A8B4-137B573DBD66.thumb.jpeg.2d73e6454d75aaa2d06659d8d22ba074.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Romans9 said:

This one was right at 90 feet long. 4 car stacker held my Predator, JP Designs car, Warrior Buggy and Yukon XL (Suburban).

I built the trailer for four cars and the coach had sleeping for 13 people with 300 gallons fresh water and 160 gray and 160 black tanks.

My new coach will sleep 6 but the trailer will still be a four car and over all the whole rig will be a little closer to legal, but I never had any problems from any LEO’s with my old one. Traveling so far I was prepared to gladly pay the fine if it happened I even had a hitch in the Yukon (2500) that could have pulled the trailer if I had to.

20AABE45-4172-49B1-A8B4-137B573DBD66.thumb.jpeg.2d73e6454d75aaa2d06659d8d22ba074.jpeg

Thats having your cake and eating it too. 

8 hours ago, Romans9 said:

Nice!

@ 90' I mean 65' wink wink nudge nudge, I think that 65'even beats out El Supremo @Supreme Air  65' but his buddy Jeff Pont might have you beat with an even longer 65'!

:bag:

18 hours ago, J Alper said:

Nevada is 75-feet,

but all the good dunes in CA,

70' ft. my friend.  But who cares? 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, punkur67 said:

am right under 65'. My biggest concern being over length is if I ever got in an accident and my insurance denied the claim for being too long or am put "at fault ". Not facts to back my concerns, only speculation that it would happen 

I would love to see that in the exclusions section of a policy....never have........

1 hour ago, sndrashouch said:

70' ft. my friend.  But who cares? 

Was thinking the same thing. Not sure about NV, but CA goes up to 70 ft with a doubles cert. but that is total length. LOL.