Sign in to follow this  
jtmoney714

Sand hollow and Moab trip

I’m headed to Sand hollow for a few  day and then to Moab for a few days. I’ll be taking the Jeep. Has anyone done this trip? Any advice or tips? Any must do trails? Any bomb places to eat? Looking for any and all advice. 

Posted (edited)

Cliffhanger is my favorite trail.  That area in Moab makes you feel like you’re on mars.   Hells Revenge is cool because you get to see the bathtubs and the Escalator, but not much challenging stuff on that trail.  Make your way towards the river on Hell’s Revenge for some bitchin sights.  Poision Sypder Mesa is cool as you can overlook some very high cliffs and get some neat photos.  Pretty hard to go wrong in Moab!  It’s more about the scenery though as offosed to hard core off-roading. If you want hardcore head South of town to Area BFE.

Skip Fins n Things, you could drive it in a Honda Accord.

8B367C94-1148-40A2-8299-83FA4B76DF39.png

4B09A6D8-3B69-4C58-AEA5-FE71433784A3.png

Edited by evantwheeler

23 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

Cliffhanger is my favorite trail.  That area in Moab makes you feel like you’re on mars.   Hells Revenge is cool because you get to see the bathtubs and the Escalator, but not much challenging stuff on that trail.  Make your way towards the river on Hell’s Revenge for some bitchin sights.  Poision Sypder Mesa is cool as you can overlook some very high cliffs and get some neat photos.  Pretty hard to go wrong in Moab!  It’s more about the scenery though as offosed to hard core off-roading. If you want hardcore head South of town to Area BFE.

Solid advice. Thanks a ton. Good tip on the find and things. I was planning on doing the posoin Sypder trifecta deal and hells revenge. I’ll checknout the other one you suggested. Any cool places in town to eat?

23 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

Nice Jeep! :hmm:

48 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

Solid advice. Thanks a ton. Good tip on the find and things. I was planning on doing the posoin Sypder trifecta deal and hells revenge. I’ll checknout the other one you suggested. Any cool places in town to eat?

The last time I was in Moab was 2012.  Of all the times I’ve been there (5 or 6), I cannot recall really “going out” to eat.  I was camping in a tent and eating freeze dried food and canned chili.  The state park or campground just to the West of town is nice.  Beautiful views and right at the entrance to Hell’s Revenge.  There was a burger joint right at the base of the road leading in to the campground from town that I recall being a good place for some quick food.  

I would not recommend Steel Bender.  There is one sketchy off camber rock section and the rest was unimpressive.  The poison spider trifecta is a good one, plan on spending all day tooling around up there on the Mesa.  

Not sure when you are going but,

Red rock 4 wheel off road club puts on a jeep safari event and it's extremely  busy. The campgrounds are full and the town is crazy. It might be fun if you want to meet people and do the trails with a large group and swap stories about all the adventures you have had. 

The timing is around Easter and runs for nine days and I believe it ends Easter weekend. So if you like crowds and getting threw town slowly and setting in downtown traffic, then it's a good time to go.

My wife and I love to stop in Moab when we are traveling for some great sight seeing and hiking. We happened to catch the club there one year and camping was full and prices were higher.

You'll love it and have a great time, just PLAN a head.

Happy trails.

Posted (edited)

Top of the World and Lockhart Basin. Onion Creek is a great scenic non-technical trail.

Arches Thai food is my favorite. Off the main drag a block in a residential neighborhood but don't let that scare you away. It will be packed so be prepared.

Headed there on April 5 for a week on the bikes.

Edited by ahipara 55

3 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

Top of the World and Lockhart Basin. Onion Creek is a great scenic non-technical trail.

Arches Thai food is my favorite. Off the main drag a block in a residential neighborhood but don't let that scare you away. It will be packed so be prepared.

Headed there on April 5 for a week on the bikes.

Thank you. That top of the world trail is now on my list. 

If you're going to be staying at Sand Hollow / Hurricane area, if you haven't been to Coral Pink Sand Dunes, it's a must see. It's about an hr. drive from Hurricane.