Phoenix7

Gas can on SxS floorboard?

I have already seen videos of SxS's on fire that tried to carry a gas can in the back, and it leaked.

I have a brand new plastic 5 gallon can that I bought at Autozone.  It fits on my floorboard on the passenger side.  But I wanted to get some advice on whether this is safe and if anyone has done it?  I realize there are holes in the floorboard.  I could find a piece of cardboard to cover the holes.

Why am I even thinking about this?  So I can park in Wash 4, go west on the Sand Highway to Gecko, and go all the way to Duners Diner and back again.

I value your advice, so I'm leaving the gas can at home as I leave for Glamis this morning.  So, except for the next hour, I won't be checking replies until Sunday night or Monday morning, but thanks in advance and I hope this opens up a valuable discussion that will help many people.  

You should be able to make the round trip on less than a tank of fuel.

Round trip with a ride to the border and through bettercup nomproblem.

i carry a 3 gallon rotopax on the passenger floor of my x3 for long long trips.  No issues at all.   

A69439E9-098B-4B39-96FA-DECB8B4420E9.jpeg

10 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I have already seen videos of SxS's on fire that tried to carry a gas can in the back, and it leaked.

I have a brand new plastic 5 gallon can that I bought at Autozone.  It fits on my floorboard on the passenger side.  But I wanted to get some advice on whether this is safe and if anyone has done it?  I realize there are holes in the floorboard.  I could find a piece of cardboard to cover the holes.

Why am I even thinking about this?  So I can park in Wash 4, go west on the Sand Highway to Gecko, and go all the way to Duners Diner and back again.

I value your advice, so I'm leaving the gas can at home as I leave for Glamis this morning.  So, except for the next hour, I won't be checking replies until Sunday night or Monday morning, but thanks in advance and I hope this opens up a valuable discussion that will help many people.  

Also, there are more to the dunes than sandhighway stay away from head on collisions also.  

I would also toss the autozone can and buy a better one.  

Years ago when pre-running Baja I had to do something like that in order to be able to make a long section in the buggy (we figured that out the day before after running out). One thing I thought of was to stop and put in the extra fuel as soon as you think you have burned enough that it will fit in the tank. That way you minimize the amount of time that you are risking something bad happening...

Think about what your fuel container would do in a hard crash or rollover. Please be very careful. I had a buddy that was burned from a fuel jug leaking and he passed away.  Ask yourself is it worth the risk. 

1 hour ago, azyxzer said:

Years ago when pre-running Baja I had to do something like that in order to be able to make a long section in the buggy (we figured that out the day before after running out). One thing I thought of was to stop and put in the extra fuel as soon as you think you have burned enough that it will fit in the tank. That way you minimize the amount of time that you are risking something bad happening...

Solid advice right there. Get it in the tank/cell ASAP. 

Static electricity can be a problem with the plastic rubbing on the floor.

The Roto Pak prevents that. They make mounts for all sorts of locations too. A gas can (even tied down) will still move. Fumes is what ignites. 

On 3/16/2019 at 8:44 AM, Phoenix7 said:

You can make that trip no problem on a tank of gas.   We go from the Washes to Duners Diner into Buttercup to dune and back to the Washes no problem.   Your Maverick holds 10 gallons of gas.   

You can put it on the floorboard on the passenger side and it will be fine.  Just tie it down so it does not tip over.  I have done that when I had my XP1000.  I had to bring gas for some quads when we did the diner run.  

i have roto packs also i mounted them on the drivers side so if it was to leak it would be away from the exhaust pipe. ive also put gas on the floor i would think it is the safest spot away from heat and right next to the factory tank . Use a roto pac the are built alot heavier than the cheap cans from the parts store pricey but worth every penny in saftey.

THANKS TO EVERYONE who gave me their opinion and advice.  I read everyone's replies.

I'm agreeing with the guys who said I can make it all the way.  Yes the owners manual says 10 gallon capacity, but it doesn't discuss miles per gallon.  When I googled miles per gallon there were varying comments and numbers in other SxS forums, and all of them showed me I have enough gas.

I was parked a Gecko Loop yesterday, and it may be better to start from there when I try it the first time.

You know there is so much friendship and camaraderie here on the website, but I just wish there was a little more actual meeting notices, like "Hey I'm going to be on Gecko tomorrow looking to drive to Duners Diner".  That would be very helpful since I travel alone.

THANKS AGAIN!!

On 3/16/2019 at 6:53 PM, megadesertdiesel said:

Also, there are more to the dunes than sandhighway stay away from head on collisions also.  

I would also toss the autozone can and buy a better one.  

Special shout out to you Mega Desert Diesel.

Yes I noticed that on the Sand Highway this weekend.  You really gotta watch out for what's coming, because there are no rules as to which path anyone takes.

And thanks for showing the photo of your Rotopax!

8 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Special shout out to you Mega Desert Diesel.

Yes I noticed that on the Sand Highway this weekend.  You really gotta watch out for what's coming, because there are no rules as to which path anyone takes.

And thanks for showing the photo of your Rotopax!

when we are making that run to Duners Diner, we run with our lights on.  You can see the oncoming cars much earlier.

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

when we are making that run to Duners Diner, we run with our lights on.  You can see the oncoming cars much earlier.

That's a great tip!!  I'm going to start doing that.  There's so many bushes on the horizon that vehicles get lost in the distance.

25 minutes ago, Cookie said:

It also makes it easier to see the ones coming up behind you.  Nothing worse than getting surprised from somebody sneaking up behind you.