r3meyer

What older DP motors and brands to look at?

Going to make the move over to a diesel pusher this summer from a toy hauler.  I have been doing the 2 trailer shuffle with storage and with the time, effort, and cost it seems to me a pusher and just storing at home would be a better setup.

I am hoping to find an older coach that has good bones and just needs to be updated on the inside.  I have looked at a few that had when new price tags of over 400k back in the late 90's - early 2000's.  Are there any motors that I should stay away from?  

Any pitfalls I should look for or specific brands that are better than the others in that time period?

Alpines are a great older rig, and some come with a 400hp cummins

Posted (edited)

I would only buy a Foretravel or Country Coach from 96-2000.  You can pick up a very solid coach for around 50k.  I would only buy something with Cummins power.  Lots of options with the 350hp 8.3, and the Foretravel has the U320 model line with the 450 hp 11 liter ISM cummins.  I have a 40’ Foretravel U320 with a single living room slide.  Last trip out I grossed 40k and the 450 Cummins pulls so great, I could never have anything else.

The only downside to this era & brands of coaches is they they were really designed for use by a couple, no accommodations for hauling a family around.  If you have one kid, probably not a problem.  If you have two or three, there are going to be better options interior layout wise but you are going to have to sacrifice quality and power in the chassis and drivetrain.

Edited by evantwheeler

Watching! Im in the same boat. 2 trailers. Want a moho for other than glamis,,,

Buy quality like mentioned ... Spend it now on good bones or spend it later in upkeep.. I have a 2002 Foretravel and could not be happier... Solid! ISM 450 pulls like a freight train..

one larger kid on the sofa... Blow up mattress on the floor..it works.. We go to zion every year and Flagstaff with the family.. Wife , myself, my son and my daughter/ soninlaw and now our grand baby.. going to need bunks soon but looking  at another foretravel.

Part of this equation is we have 2 small kids.  Traveling with them in a truck for 4-6 hours is not something I will want to do and don't plan on having to.  Right now my parents have a coach and when we travel the kids and wife ride in there and its a full time job keeping them happy but manageable.  Myself and the dog tuff it out alone in the truck for the drive.  

I have looked at 2 coaches that would easily accommodate making bunks out of the current large clothing compartments.  Again I don't mind putting some $$ into the inside and making it the way we want.  I have looked at a few tag axels and it seems the only draw back would be my "legal" trailer length.  Furniture is easy enough to swap out in these things for what we want.  My old super C had a pull out inflatable queen bed in it that was really nice.  That would easily sleep the kids or guests.

We have multiple times this last season were we wanted to go somewhere besides glamis for a weekend and it were not able to do so because it was in storage.  Looking forward to having it at home.

Monaco, country coach, newmar all are good

Must haves: 350hp or more if your trailer has any weight to it, or want to motor up hos at a decent speed

2 slides minimum will make a big difference for room for kids

6 speed allison, not 5 speeds

Recommendations:

Side radiator

Large 22.5 wheels

Good history of upkeep

I have a 2 slide 385hp Monaco, great coach, couch pulls out for a bed, easily add second couch to sleep or use an air mattress, we have 2 recliners,  just 2 of us in the coach.

I have a great 22 foot Carson enclosed for sale. Keep a you under the 65 foot rule in Cali. PM if interested.  

Posted (edited)

Ill ask here, I think its pertinent.

Most 'older' moho's (like the years op is looking at) have 3-5k miles average or at least not over the top on miles so I am not worried about the drive train - diesel made to last and run.

My question is all the electrical - I'd hate to have to tear into a wire loom to find an issue. Are the electrical systems holding up well on the older stuff? Even the basic stuff, lights, outlets, dash, etc.

I agree with what has been said - buy top quality coach from that time,,, 

Edited by matt86m

No issues with my electric,  just keep the rats out,  most are in tubes and  Covered underneath.  Should not be a huge issue.

I have 226k on mine and it runs perfect..

I seem to keep finding a wide spectrum of stuff.  Coaches with low miles 40-60k for being 20 year old but you can tell they have sat at some point in their life which makes it a given that things will need to be replaced.  Then the other end where they have 100k+ but have been used.  Some kept up, some not so much.

Posted (edited)

This one just sold & still on page two. 2005 American Eagle 40J  Country Coach's are very nice units. 

Edited by cola

I'd stick with ISC/Cummins or Cat with the 6 spd Allison trans.  I've had a 300HP C7 Cat and a 350HP C7 Cat and they are great...super reliable but there is not a lot of upgrades or power adders available for the Cat.  There is a ton of upgrades available for the Cummins/ISC.

~jw

13 hours ago, r3meyer said:

Part of this equation is we have 2 small kids.  Traveling with them in a truck for 4-6 hours is not something I will want to do and don't plan on having to.  Right now my parents have a coach and when we travel the kids and wife ride in there and its a full time job keeping them happy but manageable.  "Myself and the dog tuff it out alone in the truck for the drive".  

I have looked at 2 coaches that would easily accommodate making bunks out of the current large clothing compartments.  Again I don't mind putting some $$ into the inside and making it the way we want.  I have looked at a few tag axels and it seems the only draw back would be my "legal" trailer length.  Furniture is easy enough to swap out in these things for what we want.  My old super C had a pull out inflatable queen bed in it that was really nice.  That would easily sleep the kids or guests.

We have multiple times this last season were we wanted to go somewhere besides glamis for a weekend and it were not able to do so because it was in storage.  Looking forward to having it at home.

"Myself and the dog tuff it out alone in the truck for the drive."  Sounds like the perfect setup!

19 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

Monaco, country coach, newmar all are good

Must haves: 350hp or more if your trailer has any weight to it, or want to motor up hos at a decent speed

2 slides minimum will make a big difference for room for kids

6 speed allison, not 5 speeds

Recommendations:

Side radiator

Large 22.5 wheels

Good history of upkeep

I have a 2 slide 385hp Monaco, great coach, couch pulls out for a bed, easily add second couch to sleep or use an air mattress, we have 2 recliners,  just 2 of us in the coach.

I have a great 22 foot Carson enclosed for sale. Keep a you under the 65 foot rule in Cali. PM if interested.  

that is a good list to go with.    I guted  my 2003 and made it work for us with 2 kids and upgraded to residental fridge and floors at the same time.  10k in upgrades saved me 90 in upgrading to a bunk house model.  if you can get the cummings engine I would be looking for those. 

Newmar, Monaco, or Holiday Rambler.

The side radiator is a must .  My buddy had to have the entire rear cap pulled off to service his Rad when it got plugged up.

Id prefer a Freightliner chassis.   Freightliner shops everywhere and they are even open 24/7. Parts are also cheap.

6 speed trans.  Just better..lol

I love my 2002 Newmar Dutchstar.  Mine has the 330 CAT and I want 500 but it still pulls my big enclosed fine.

Mine had 100k and was a little beat up inside but I paid beat up price so I was happy.