John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Father and son dune trip (video) 3-14/16

Posted (edited)

this weekend was windy, lots of new sand, sharp edges. I prefer to stay in the flatter dunes and near foliage and pucker bushes for contrast as the big bowls can be dangerous when sand is drifting off the peaks.  My Son has been learning at dads knee,  forth time out in the Gen 4 buggy that I have for sale.  It really is a great running car--nothing wrong.  not much editing as that will come with time.   Just good times.     

Dad, " son stay exactly in my line" 

Son, "Ok"

only thing you need to watch is my whip, if it stops,  pay attention (that doesn't happen much, LOL)

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

:wwp: or video. 

:funny:

Best video posted in a long time. Keep em coming.

Posted (edited)
Just now, AlpineFunco said:

Best video posted in a long time. Keep em coming.

I do have some more of the same weekend coming up, and a little faster too.

We also had some early afternoon time to kill (I don't like to dune fast between 11-2ish.  so me and 5 others went out in 3 cars.  2 guys per car.  I led with a Gen 3, and the other 5 took turns rotating from driver to passenger in my personal car and my car for sale (I had my throttle cable limited to about 1/2 throttle LOL.  it was a great time for my friend to follow me in my cars and see how they perform.  it was a hoot!  I almost rolled the gen 3 at high speed, It didn't do what my car would have done and it was a close one!

Posted (edited)

Sat morning run, resulted in the V8 car breaking a front rim (see carnage thread)    more coming Tuesday

Love that area! Great duning video. :thumbup:

great ride !!

Nice job 

Some sketchy lines!

13 minutes ago, Adam G said:

Some sketchy lines!

these are casual runs,  wait until I get going :)

just so we know....which video and what time?

1 minute ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

The tight turn that the big V8 car couldn't hold and subsequently taco'd a rim looked kind of sketchy, for a big V8 car that can't hold that tight of a turn that is 😎

Posted (edited)
Just now, AlpineFunco said:

The tight turn that the big V8 car couldn't hold and subsequently taco'd a rim looked kind of sketchy, for a big V8 car that can't hold that tight of a turn that is 😎

note:  he couldn't hold and hit the left side of his car, the right rim split..........mainly cause Douglas rims had a huge batch that was machined wrong.  Tight turns doesn't make it sketchy, it makes it fun

BTW he now wants to buy a Funco...just drink the Koolaid

Awesome videos

2 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

note:  he couldn't hold and hit the left side of his car, the right rim split..........mainly cause Douglas rims had a huge batch that was machined wrong.  Tight turns doesn't make it sketchy, it makes it fun

BTW he now wants to buy a Funco...just drink the Koolaid

I will stand corrected then about the rim, but not the turn 😁. Looked like a fun run to me...

Quick inquiry on that Orange Funco, is that the one that beasts up and down Olds without care to equipment because he's in total control and suspension is super dialed in? I mean I swear if it is, I watched him and I had to change my shorts! Full throttle downhill and uphill but even at the bottom hits a jump full speed straight as an arrow. No mercy style. I watched one on an off weekend and it was epic performance. I'd be scared out of my ass in that thing. Must've done it 5 times. Crazy crazy!! Funco showed up that day. I gained new respect for sure. 

I dont think it's the same orange funco.  But would like to know who it is too.

Posted (edited)

this was a run from  our camp to the drags on Friday afternoon.  the camera was handheld this time.  my son was not wanting to be in 3rd place so he did "The Pass"  he's still learning.  The video is poorer quality as the camera man adjusted it mid ride and put his finger oil on the lens. this was a little faster run.   A little wheelie at 21sec,  the pass at 58sec,  jump at 113

Awesome videos!

Looks like your son didn’t like the gap orange car was leaving. He wanted to show dad he can hang in your sandblast zone. LOL

keep the videos coming. 

"The drags"......LOL.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:32 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Saturday morning run that broke the v8 car. 2:35 mark bombing through the little hills and valleys with drop offs and ridges. 

12 hours ago, Adam G said:

Saturday morning run that broke the v8 car. 2:35 mark bombing through the little hills and valleys with drop offs and ridges. 

I reviewed that time and that is "little stuff",  all of my runs are unrehearsed, every run is a new adventure, with usually no destination in mind--just hauling!   I will start recording more runs in the future.  Our runs are fast but they do induce some lines that are not pretty.  I often hear people say they don't want to go on my runs cause they beat their crap up--that is true,   but they will also be missing out on some incredible dunes.  That line with little drop offs is perfect.

Looked like fun!

What happened to the V8 car is why I like smaller and better balanced buggies set up for wheelspin: can't drift the U-turn under power easily and end up swinging wide.