evantwheeler

Shocks Leaking Badly with Minimal Use After Rebuild?

I had all my shocks rebuilt (4) coilovers and (4) bypasses last summer by a reputable builder.  All they do is shocks.  Immediately after the rebuild I did 3.5 days in St. Anthony's.  Car sat in my enclosed under it's own weight until new years where I put another half day on it before I started having engine trouble.   So 4 days of duning and about 5 trips down the drags.   I pull my car out of the trailer two weeks ago and there is a puddle of shock oil under the rear drivers bypass.  Oil is leaking out of the bottom shock cap and dripping down the coil spring, with drops of oil visible on the coils.   Passenger rear bypass is leaking in the same manner, though not at the same rate as there is not a puddle under the passenger side.  

I questioned the rebuilder about a warranty and they said NO.  He stated that the o-rings likely got flat from the car sitting static for so long.  I am having a very very hard time believing that this is the cause of my issue, or even a possibility.  O-rings obviously deform to make a seal, but if properly installed and with the right o-ring in the right spot, they will deform elastically not plastically.   He stated the shocks needed to be cycled and that the worst think for a shock is to let it sit for long periods of time.

I'm not here to make a call out thread.  I am curious what others experience is with storage of their cars and the longevity of their shock rebuilds.  Rebuilder will help out on cost to rebuild again, but I am just not buying the no-use excuse.  

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

No leaks in January and now 3 months later it’s leaking? I’m no shock guy but I think they should be able to sit a few months at a time.  Good luck. 

I hired a team of Shock Gremlins to live in my enclosed trailer where I store my sandcar. Their job is to loosen the tie downs and cycle the suspension then re-tighten the tie downs once a week for 6 months as that is about how long I go without seeing my sandcar. I feed them once a month whether they need it or not and they say they don't drink but I did find a bottle of Jack that I accidentally left in the trailer empty,,,,

5 minutes ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

No leaks in January and now 3 months later it’s leaking? I’m no shock guy but I think they should be able to sit a few months at a time.  Good luck. 

I'll be honest, I don't recall if it was leaking in January or not.  There was a noticeable puddle when I pulled the car out of the trailer, and the wet spot you see on the concrete  in the first photo is from one night of sitting in that spot.  That wet spot is what really turned me onto this whole deal because I thought the puddle in the trailer was antifreeze.  

have you checked that they filled them with nitrogen?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, markcsand said:

have you checked that they filled them with nitrogen?

I did not check these specifically.  I know my coilovers were charged because I adjusted the pressures slightly based on input from a buddy with the same car. 

How would nitrogen pressure affect the leak?  Wouldn't they leak MORE if properly charged?  

Edited by evantwheeler

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, matt86m said:

I hired a team of Shock Gremlins to live in my enclosed trailer where I store my sandcar. Their job is to loosen the tie downs and cycle the suspension then re-tighten the tie downs once a week for 6 months as that is about how long I go without seeing my sandcar. I feed them once a month whether they need it or not and they say they don't drink but I did find a bottle of Jack that I accidentally left in the trailer empty,,,,

I've got Shock Gremlins, that's why I'm here.  I'm tired of them and want them to leave.  They aren't as productive as yours.   They're getting drunk with your Gremlins and keep pissing on my coilovers and making a mess!

Edited by evantwheeler

I have a hard time believing the o-rings got flat from sitting. More than likely a seal got torn or o-ring got pinched when they put them back together. If the builders theory were true, you would have a puddle under every shock. I rebuilt the shocks on my car 2 seasons ago. When I pulled it out of the trailer to prep for this year I found the same thing on a rear bypass. I pulled it apart and found a cut o-ring causing the issue. Replaced that one o-ring and all good so far.

1 minute ago, 1tonfun said:

I have a hard time believing the o-rings got flat from sitting. More than likely a seal got torn or o-ring got pinched when they put them back together. If the builders theory were true, you would have a puddle under every shock. I rebuilt the shocks on my car 2 seasons ago. When I pulled it out of the trailer to prep for this year I found the same thing on a rear bypass. I pulled it apart and found a cut o-ring causing the issue. Replaced that one o-ring and all good so far.

A cut o-ring was my first thought.  I've head they are very easy to nick.  There is just too much volume loss for this to be an o-ring relaxing issue.  O-rings don't just relax permanently and start leaking if a properly sized o-ring is properly installed.  

I think you're right. Most of us leave our sandrails sitting for 6 months of the yr and they don't start leaking from sitting around.

I think the rebuilder nicked or cut the o-ring when he reassembled them. I'm disappointed that he's unwilling to admit his mistake and fix it for free. I wouldn't spend another dime with him. I'd either find a more reputable shock guy, or fix it myself. Then whenever anyone asked me for a suggestion for a shock guy, tell them this story.

I had a tranny guy redo my tranny about 5 or 6 times before I got tired of pulling it out every 2nd trip. I went to a better shop and rebuilds dropped to about 1 every 6 yrs. I don't put the ripoff artist on blast here, but if anyone asks me about trans shops in person, I let them know about it. 

I have 8 shocks that were done at Fox over 3 years ago and none of them leak. Car sits for 6 or 7 months in the trailer during the summer. :dunno:

If they did not use this tool they could of damaged the inner seal as it was being installed. Obviously I don't know the history of who built the shock and being a company that solely builds shocks I would assume they would use the install tool. Seems more logical then a flattened o-ring

FOX398-00-026-B-L.jpg

Posted (edited)

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/dl/offroad/exviews/FOX_OR_Bypass_Exploded_A.pdf

O ring  A or B would be your culprit.

Edited by sandkist

7 minutes ago, sandkist said:

Thanks.  D is also leaking on the pass side. 

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

Posted (edited)

I don’t think they usually change out that o ring during a rebuild. 

Edited by sandkist

Posted (edited)

My brother had his shocks tuned/rebuilt by 'he who shall not be named' and had to return them twice for leaks.  Put them on the car and they leaked in his garage before he even got to drive it.

They admitted fault and 'fixed' them twice, but still cost my brother time/travel/aggravation.

Edited by azcg

Ok.  So next question is who do I spend the money with to fix these issues?  Go straight to Fox?  

22 minutes ago, sandkist said:

I don’t think they usually change out that o ring during a rebuild. 

Maybe?  I dunno.  If I was rebuilding an engine, it would get all new gaskets and seals.  I guess I assume the same would be done to a shock.

Hmmm. What’s more likely: o-ring that has to go over some threads and a chamfer (or a tool used to prevent this) tearing..

Or...

O-ring just chilling out causing a leak on a shock designed for toys that can be sitting for years...

Hmmmm.

BTW: I have a set of Fox shocks that have been sitting in the garage for 3 years now. Not a drop. 

My buddy had a problem with his shocks leaking. Had them rebuilt by the same guy three times. The guy finally switched to a thicker oil and I think the problem went away. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, evantwheeler said:

Ok.  So next question is who do I spend the money with to fix these issues?  Go straight to Fox?  

Fox can take awhile. Mirage racing in Torrance. 

Edited by sandkist

22 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

BTW: I have a set of Fox shocks that have been sitting in the garage for 3 years now. Not a drop. 

Yeah, that’s because non-use is not a failure mode of properly installed o-rings. 

Posted (edited)

ok my rzr turbo 2017 front shock started leaking in 2018 only a few months old and didnt sit much. I rebuilt them my self  bought new seals from schmitty racing the stock seals were soft rubber and the replacements were harder maybe viton but seemed to be a much better quality.  The shocks in the rail were rebuilt about 5 yrs ago bu shock therapy at glamis and they dont leak and they sit for 8 months every year in a trailer at gds in the heat. so i think it has more to do with the quality of the seals and the condition of the bearing in the head of the shock. if the bearing/bushing is worn it allows for the shaft to sit not centered also indexing of the coils on the spacer to prevent any side load.  If they damaged a seal while the rebuild i think they would start leaking right away and leak really bad while in use    http://www.kingshocks.com/products/parts/replacement-parts/    number 18 is the bearing i was referring to

Edited by diesel-e

9 minutes ago, diesel-e said:

if the bearing/bushing is worn it allows for the shaft to sit not centered also indexing of the coils on the spacer to prevent any side load.  If they damaged a seal while the rebuild i think they would start leaking right away and leak really bad while in use

The bearing/bushing wear you talk about should have been addressed during the rebuild if it existed.   They don't have enough use after rebuild for that to be the case. 

Don't disagree with your last sentence.  I honestly don't know when it started leaking.  

Really, the whole point of the thread was to get feed back on the non-use excuse for the leaks.  So far the consensus is that shocks that sit don't leak.  

15 minutes ago, diesel-e said:

ok my rzr turbo 2017 front shock started leaking in 2018 only a few months old and didnt sit much. I rebuilt them my self  bought new seals from schmitty racing the stock seals were soft rubber and the replacements were harder maybe viton but seemed to be a much better quality.  The shocks in the rail were rebuilt about 5 yrs ago bu shock therapy at glamis and they dont leak and they sit for 8 months every year in a trailer at gds in the heat. so i think it has more to do with the quality of the seals and the condition of the bearing in the head of the shock. if the bearing/bushing is worn it allows for the shaft to sit not centered also indexing of the coils on the spacer to prevent any side load.  If they damaged a seal while the rebuild i think they would start leaking right away and leak really bad while in use    http://www.kingshocks.com/products/parts/replacement-parts/    number 18 is the bearing i was referring to

Just redid the injectors on my Jeep. Tore an o-ring installing it. Turned the ignition on, good fuel pressure, no leaks. Decided to wait until 5 minutes into my test drive to start pissing fuel onto the exhaust manifold. No fire, but definitely had the heart rate up. 

Point is, they don’t always leak right away. :bigrin