weeks ago I made a post looking for tires. 

member @scarabb31 replied he has the size I need. I call him up we agree on a price he said they are used but in good condition with 80%  thread and will send me a picture Monday . I am in AZ and he is in ca but says he will be in las vegas in two weeks and we can meet in Nevada.I said that works out perfect it's a  hour and 35 minutes each way for me . Today Friday March 29th I meet him (joe)in Boulder Nv like we agreed  upon . We chat for 5 minutes he pulls the tires out of his truck I glance at them while we are talking, thread looked to be 80% like he said, I load them in my car and drive back home  The hour and 30 minutes.

This is where it gets interesting once I get home  I pull the tires out of my car(one in the trunk and one in the rear seat) I see a chunk missing on one of the tires side walls.  So instantly I pull out the other tire  out of the trunk  to take a better look at it  and it has what looks like pin holes/slashes. At this point I know I can't run these as rear tires for my buggy nor do I want to. So I call Joe up(scarabb31) and say hi joe it's mark sorry to break the bad news but these tires have a chunk missing from one of the side walls and a few pinholes/slashes on the other tires with the Orange paint on it. If possible I would like to drive back out to Vegas tomorrow and return these to you and get my $300 back. He says send me a few pictures. I hang up take a few pictures and the text  excuses start pouring in from joe @Scarabb31 .

"That’s rock damage. "

"These were on the front of a vw car".

"They hold air. "

"If they were on the back they would have chunks missing. "

"That’s little damage. "

"Your in havasu. Just re sell them if you really don’t ant them"

"The little hole in that 2nd picture is on a tire that is way dustier than a tire I sold you"

"Those holes do not do thru"

After I listen to all his  excuses why these tires are still in good condition, and after he  accuses me of sending him pictures of a tire he did not sell me because it was "dirty" and he "drug them out of his truck and got no dust on his sweatshirt " . I debunked that  myth  Real quick and sent him the same picture that he sent me in the back of his red truck showing the tires all dirty an dusty! I ask plane and simple in a text I don't want to text war with the guy and just would like my $300 back. His answer was no because his tires were clean(lie) and he did not get any dust on his sweater when he pulled them out so those cant be his tires.

After a few texts back and forth towards the end of our conversation he tells me I got one of the "spare" tires by mistake and he will replace it with another "good" tire , which I do not trust him at this point and I would still have a tire with the side wall chunk missing .

Moral of the story is ,  which I admit , I did not do my  due diligence  When picking up the tires and handing him over the $300 cash. But at this point he sold me two tires that are trash in my book and he knows one is a spare because the Orange paint and will not stand behind the  transaction as being usable good tires. I feel like administrators and moderators should ban these kinds of members to the buy and sell forums as he has/ had a few used items for sale. I have bought/ sold over a dozen items from here in the past 7 years and never had a problem like this because I know GD is a tight  knit community and MOST members stand behind their  transaction and or product . Just trying to pass it along beware of scarabb31 items for sale as he dose not stand behind what he sells you!

Here are our back and  fourth text messages once I noticed the side wall chunk missing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

42 minutes ago, DezertRatRail said:

weeks ago I made a post looking for tires. 

member @scarabb31 replied he has the size I need. I call him up we agree on a price he said they are used but in good condition with 80%  thread and will send me a picture Monday . I am in AZ and he is in ca but says he will be in las vegas in two weeks and we can meet in Nevada.I said that works out perfect it's a  hour and 35 minutes each way for me . Today Friday March 29th I meet him (joe)in Boulder Nv like we agreed  upon . We chat for 5 minutes he pulls the tires out of his truck I glance at them while we are talking, thread looked to be 80% like he said, I load them in my car and drive back home  The hour and 30 minutes.

This is where it gets interesting once I get home  I pull the tires out of my car(one in the trunk and one in the rear seat) I see a chunk missing on one of the tires side walls.  So instantly I pull out the other tire  out of the trunk  to take a better look at it  and it has what looks like pin holes/slashes. At this point I know I can't run these as rear tires for my buggy nor do I want to. So I call Joe up(scarabb31) and say hi joe it's mark sorry to break the bad news but these tires have a chunk missing from one of the side walls and a few pinholes/slashes on the other tires with the Orange paint on it. If possible I would like to drive back out to Vegas tomorrow and return these to you and get my $300 back. He says send me a few pictures. I hang up take a few pictures and the text  excuses start pouring in from joe @Scarabb31 .

"That’s rock damage. "

"These were on the front of a vw car".

"They hold air. "

"If they were on the back they would have chunks missing. "

"That’s little damage. "

"Your in havasu. Just re sell them if you really don’t ant them"

"The little hole in that 2nd picture is on a tire that is way dustier than a tire I sold you"

"Those holes do not do thru"

After I listen to all his  excuses why these tires are still in good condition, and after he  accuses me of sending him pictures of a tire he did not sell me because it was "dirty" and he "drug them out of his truck and got no dust on his sweatshirt " . I debunked that  myth  Real quick and sent him the same picture that he sent me in the back of his red truck showing the tires all dirty an dusty! I ask plane and simple in a text I don't want to text war with the guy and just would like my $300 back. His answer was no because his tires were clean(lie) and he did not get any dust on his sweater when he pulled them out so those cant be his tires.

After a few texts back and forth towards the end of our conversation he tells me I got one of the "spare" tires by mistake and he will replace it with another "good" tire , which I do not trust him at this point and I would still have a tire with the side wall chunk missing .

Moral of the story is ,  which I admit , I did not do my  due diligence  When picking up the tires and handing him over the $300 cash. But at this point he sold me two tires that are trash in my book and he knows one is a spare because the Orange paint and will not stand behind the  transaction as being usable good tires. I feel like administrators and moderators should ban these kinds of members to the buy and sell forums as he has/ had a few used items for sale. I have bought/ sold over a dozen items from here in the past 7 years and never had a problem like this because I know GD is a tight  knit community and MOST members stand behind their  transaction and or product . Just trying to pass it along beware of scarabb31 items for sale as he dose not stand behind what he sells you!

Here are our back and  fourth text messages once I noticed the side wall chunk missing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You bought used tires and are upset you got used tires?

I have bought used tires from here and had no problems with there conditions but it was from a very  reputable seller.There is a  difference between used and still   Usable. And used and trashed. The seller said it in his own words when a tire is not  usable.

"No sidewall hacks patches etc or I would not have sold them at all. " 

This is a decent sidewall hack to me and 3 other passengers in my car that I am not willing to risk our lives with a tire blowout at 70+ because of it. Just wanted my money back and I would drive to him.

image.jpg

Tires really don't look that bad to me.

I’d think with something like this you would have given them a once over before you put them in your car. And from what I’ve seen I’d run them.  

I would run those tires if they were holding air on the rims myself.   Like you mentioned you should have looked at them better before you handed over cash.  trust me I have handed over way more money on parts to not get exactly what I thought I was getting but in the end it was my issue for not inspecting myself a lot more.  If he said he would swap out one tire you have to give the guy a chance to make it right. That said if he doesn't live up to his word that is another story. 

sorry bud, those tires are not trashed.

Not trash, tires.....

I don't think they are trashed either. I would have no problem running em at 70+. Sucks the seller tried saying those are different than what he sold you.

9 hours ago, DezertRatRail said:

Moral of the story is ,  which I admit , I did not do my  due diligence  When picking up the tires and handing him over the $300 cash. But at this point he sold me two tires that are trash in my book and he

This situation sucks for both sides. The Seller had a much different view of used off road tires than you did. It sounds like he went to some length to meet up with you and strike a deal.  Lugging around 4 tires is a PITA and he did it to accomadate your schedule and make the deal happen...……… I understand you are upset but you accepted used off road tires when you had EVERY CHANCE to inspect them and not make the deal happen and then expect the guy (after going thru all the girations of texts and meeting places and hauling used tires all over the place) to hand you your $$$ back...…..

I get you are frustrated but since you posted the pictures, I will say that I would run them on my rail. You got a good deal IMHO.....I would let the seller replace the one tire in question and just run them. Whenever buying something used, you have the right not to do the deal. In this case you had every chance to back out of the deal...….. His idea and your idea of "good used tires" differed...…..only difference is that you had the power ($$$$) to make the deal happen and you gave him the payment without looking at the tires...….

I hope you have a better weekend.....don't let it bumm you out...….just get em mounted and use them.....They look nice from the pictures you posted.

:poule:

buying used tires is a crap shoot; but you did have the opportunity to inspect in person. IMO the best you can hope for is some $$$ back from seller.... 

Posted (edited)

I think the tires look bad too, but I would have inspected them before buying them.

Another reason to avoid used tires is just think of the INTERNAL DAMAGE they may have sustained if someone was doing extreme things with them.

And I can't help but wonder if anyone has ever created a "BEWARE OF" topic after a bad camping experience with someone?  That would be kinda creepy, yet hilarious. 😄

Edited by Phoenix7

33 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I think the tires are bad too, but I would have inspected them before buying them.

Another reason to avoid used tires is just think of the INTERNAL DAMAGE they may have sustained if someone was doing extreme things with them.

And I can't help but wonder if anyone has ever created a "BEWARE OF" topic after a bad camping experience with someone?  That would be kinda creepy, yet hilarious. 😄

They are out there. Couple of doozies...

Posted (edited)

I can't tell if the tires are good or bad from the pics.

I agree with most of the posts. You had every chance to inspect them before you bought. If you want to drive out there and swap the tire he offered to swap, make sure you inspect that one, make sure it's better than the one you're giving back.

Edited by socaldmax

I would run those tires at speed with no question, I think your being a little picky. They look fine to me for a used tire.......

If I sold a set of tires and the purchaser looked at them and wanted to take them back I would, but I would not meet them, if the tires where returned to me then it would be no issue, I am sure he would return them if you got them back to CA,

But for the Tires they are Baja TA's about $550 Per Tire, they are a Kevlar tire and made to run in a desert race with no issue,

for a Baja TA, they really do, from the pictures look good,

Posted (edited)

Those look like Baja TAs not ko2. 

They look to be in acceptable condition for $75/tire.

I've sold worse tires for more with no issue. I've sold many of my 25% tread, chunked out 37" projects for $100 or more/ea.

You had every opportunity to inspect and back out of deal.

Caveat emptor, you should delete this thread, its whiny.

Edited by DTA

If you had to zoom that far in to show me the chunk missing then I'd say you're good to go! Run them things and put some more damage through em'! Them tires are thicker walled than you think. 

It doesn't look that bad for a used tire. I also don't agree with the "risk my life" complaint. While there are undoubtedly high speed incidents that result in death, to suggest that little chunk missing from the sidewall is risking your life is a little dramatic. 

I mounted the one  supposedly "good tire" with the side wall damage last night , put 40 psi of air in it. Just walked out to the garage this morning and it only has 12 psi of air in it. At this point I am calling it a total loss of my time and money dealing with scarabb31 (joe).  I paid $150 a tire because I only got 2. His  excuse/ comment shows a lot about his  character,  that's not my tire it's dusty, "I drug them out of my truck and got no dust on my sweatshirt " so no I  won't return them. 

I still take   The majority of the  responsibility  for not giving them a once over as the buyer. But as the seller  on a forum I think you also have some  responsibility in your  transaction . I understand if this was the curt Leduc swap meet, it's a cash and carry as is sale. Lesson learned.

24 minutes ago, DezertRatRail said:

I mounted the one  supposedly "good tire" with the side wall damage last night , put 40 psi of air in it. Just walked out to the garage this morning and it only has 12 psi of air in it. At this point I am calling it a total loss of my time and money dealing with scarabb31 (joe).  I paid $150 a tire because I only got 2. His  excuse/ comment shows a lot about his  character,  that's not my tire it's dusty, "I drug them out of my truck and got no dust on my sweatshirt " so no I  won't return them. 

I still take   The majority of the  responsibility  for not giving them a once over as the buyer. But as the seller  on a forum I think you also have some  responsibility in your  transaction . I understand if this was the curt Leduc swap meet, it's a cash and carry as is sale. Lesson learned.

Dude, you are obviously upset and it's hard to see any different, I get it. Been there but I moved on and seen if I can work with what I have. So, if it leaked that much air overnight, roll it around with a garden hose slow running water over it at 40psi you should be able to find the leak. Determine if it's a hole or the bead or valve stem or something. Don't just give up on your attempt to run it. 

1 hour ago, DTA said:

Those look like Baja TAs not ko2. 

I've sold worse tires for more with no issue. I've sold many of my 25% tread, chunked out 37" projects for $100 or more/ea.

You had every opportunity to inspect and back out of deal.

Caveat emptor, you should delete this thread, its whiny.

Exactly Baja TAs not BFG- mud terrains,  the Baja TA is the street legal version of the Projects, same compound, but a DOT tire that a tire shop can mount

you have about $1200 dollar tires new,  I have sold the same version in a 35'' for $300 each,    

Posted (edited)

There’s nothing wrong with those tires. Run em or buy new if you want better condition. 

If they were 31s I’d buy them right now. Post them on RaceDezert for $450 and disclose the chunks. 

Edited by Rockwood

My ruling is for the defendant, thank you.

I also think the tires are in ok condition and would not have a problem running them. I have had chunks torn off my tire when in the desert and not once have I said I'm gonna throw them away and buy new ones.

I agree with saftey to my passengers and people around me. I would mount them and see if they hold air. If they do great!

If not try getting some money back. That's a good price for them.