Jump to content
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

have you been scammed on Ebay?

Recommended Posts

I won a bid for an excavator. just 2 hours ago.  great price.  2 days earlier i sent him a message that i would like to come see it as im only 1 hour away.  no response.  other people had messaged him like what kind of condition....his reply  "used"   thats it.  responses almost too short.   he has zero transaction before.  includes flat rate shipping $650.   doesnt take paypal. but does take  credit cards and money order.  i checked with my credit card company and they said i am protected if i dont get the product.  

 

Im just wonder how many scammers are on ebay like i see on craigs list?  how easy would it be for you to start an account, list your first big item, sell it, collect the money and run.  my payment is pending

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have to say I have run across many scams, usually to good to be true items, but there are too good to be true deals on ebay at times. Ebay has made good on all my deal that went bad so far. A lot of the scammers do not have many sales 0 or close to that something to check

Edited by Baha Bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If the deal or the sales story sounds fishy then it is...... unless you want to be a gambler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is 2 hours away just go pick it up and pay on the spot...….He should have no issue with that and you may even get a better deal because of the 650 shipping

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

zero feedback is a 50/50 risk..

Selling on eBay, on the other hand, has turned into a joke. 

You will get screwed every time someone complains. People swap out bad parts, break it, or even send back a brick instead of the product and eBay will not help.

Even if you say as-is, for parts, no returns, no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Legit Duner said:

zero feedback is a 50/50 risk..

Selling on eBay, on the other hand, has turned into a joke. 

You will get screwed every time someone complains. People swap out bad parts, break it, or even send back a brick instead of the product and eBay will not help.

Even if you say as-is, for parts, no returns, no matter what.

There is a flip side to that. ebay has stepped up to help every time I have a bad seller. I have NEVER been scammed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I won a bid for an excavator. just 2 hours ago.  great price.  2 days earlier i sent him a message that i would like to come see it as im only 1 hour away.  no response.  other people had messaged him like what kind of condition....his reply  "used"   thats it.  responses almost too short.   he has zero transaction before.  includes flat rate shipping $650.   doesnt take paypal. but does take  credit cards and money order.  i checked with my credit card company and they said i am protected if i dont get the product.  

 

Im just wonder how many scammers are on ebay like i see on craigs list?  how easy would it be for you to start an account, list your first big item, sell it, collect the money and run.  my payment is pending

John, That's typical of someone with 0 transactions. May just be his first time on ebay. File a complaint with ebay if he does not come through with location. Don't pay for it until he contacts you.

OR.............. You could just build your own.

 

Edited by ahipara 55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant really get scammed on ebay,

it is like amazon, now we have to sign stupid stuff with ebay contracts all the time, if you have a ebay strore, I sometime done even respond to half the emails on ebay due to the buyer just be dump,

like I will have a listing that says black on the title or black in the description and I will get a pm asking what color, 

if it is not as described you can return it and they pay the shipping back,

 

the main part about ebay is even if it shows no returns, if not as described they have to return it,

so I would think you are safe,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use eBay all the time, buy and sell never had a problem. DON~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything involving heavy equipment  check Machinery Trader under the same make and model. Most scams involving heavy equipment on EBay and Craigslist are done by scammers who steal photos and descriptions off Machinery Trader.

 

https://www.machinerytrader.com/

 

I have seen many many scams just like you are describing with pictures and descriptions.

One guy I knew actually had someone use his machine listing, gave his address as the location and a potential buyer showed up to inspect the machine. It was outside as most equipment is stored and had he not been at his shop the potential buyer may have never known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

There is a flip side to that. ebay has stepped up to help every time I have a bad seller. I have NEVER been scammed.

Yes, it's a buyers paradise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All i use now is ebay. Like it much better than amazon. Average 70-80 transactions a year last 2-3 years. No issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was thinking about this the other day. i expect scammers on CL, but not on ebay, etc.  now it seems that 90% of transactions are fraud.  every now and then i sell high end watches on ebay.  so far, i am at 100% scam ratio (5/5).... F'n horrible.  got an email 2 hours ago about 'i sent the payment for watch, when will you ship'?.... paypal shows no payment.  F ebay for allowing this......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post pics of it. I can do a reverse image search. 

Or google how to do a reverse image search  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2005 ZX370 LC Excavator w Thumb
 
 
2005 ZX370 LC Excavator w Thumb
( 303109342821 )

Perfect running condition. Ready to work!!!

 
Ended:
Mar 30, 2019 , 9:09AM
 
Winning bid:
US $25,990.89
21 bids ]
 
 
 
Shipping:
$650.00 Flat Rate Freight
 
 
Item location:
El Monte, California, United States
 
Seller:
Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your joking right?? Ain't this for your house??? Isn't this a bit big for what you need? Have you seen this model in person?

This reminds me of a thread from long ago...."just because you can....should you?"

Lets start with the facts....this thing is over 40' long in crawl mode, it's 11' wide and weighs 82,000lbs.

 This will need to be transported on a 7 axle if boot legged, a 9 axle if legal. El Monte to your place expect to pay 3.5K easy if you are not wanting laws broken to get it to your place. Nobody is taking this to you for $650 bucks. 

That being said....this is not a home hobby machine. It's a professional grade piece of equipment. Parts break on this and two things will happen....

Not only will you wish you were rebuilding an Albins instead, twice, but you'll need to hire someone with heavy lifting capabilities to get parts off this thing. And then put them back on.

 It's either a scam or a clapped out pos at that price.

either way....you don't want this thing. You can't afford to keep it alive. Do yourself a favor and cancel this transaction and find one about 1/2 this size.

Not trying to be a dikk but you just really have no clue what you are getting yourself into. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw....those pics ain't anywhere in El Monte. Also, his ad says 650 shipped anywhere. Guaranteed 20K transport bill to ship that turd anywhere back east and MINIMUM of 15K for somewhere in the mid west.

 

None of it adds up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Legit Duner said:

zero feedback is a 50/50 risk..

Selling on eBay, on the other hand, has turned into a joke. 

You will get screwed every time someone complains. People swap out bad parts, break it, or even send back a brick instead of the product and eBay will not help.

Even if you say as-is, for parts, no returns, no matter what.

Yup, there is absolutely zero seller protection.  They just take the buyers word and take the money directly from your paypal account to reimburse them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and no. 

I was selling a pair of used cummins 5.9 marine engines on eBay. Both engines had high crankcase pressure but ran well. I sea trialed the boat prior to installing new engines.

Listed both engines as is where is. Fully disclosed all issues and had plenty of photos. 

One engine sold and shipped to Seattle area. No issues. Second engine sold and went to florida. That one turned out to be a scammer. He opened up a complaint and said the engine didnt run and needed 4600.00 worth of repairs. Said injection pump was bad. Engines sold for $6500.00 each. I went back and forth with the guy asking how he came to the conclusion the pump was bad, what did he do to the engine etc. Ask for photos etc. Saw that some parts on the engine that were newer, not related. Figured the guy was trying to cheat me out of money and was doing a paint job overhaul on it to resell.  Did some more research and the guy had two accounts. One he bought stuff with and one he sold stuff with. The buying account showed a bunch of negative feedback left for sellers. Total scammer working the ebay system to work in his favor. 

I then figured he had too much time and money into my old engine and i offered 100% refund and I would pay the return freight. I wanted my engine back and the way it was. 

He refused, he dropped the complaint, left me negative feedback. I kept the funds and wont be selling engines ever again on eBay.

Found the engine two days later on his selling account for sale at $16000.00

All painted, and pretty. Sure is sad as it was worn out inside.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask for a picture of the serial number plate. It is located at the bottom of the cab on the house section close to the pin boss of the barrel end left hand boom cylinder. Every transaction involving heavy equipment is done with the serial number. No one uses the model number. Insurance, parts department, Bill of Lading, UCC filing, bonding, banking, etc. all use the serial number. It’s a bit suspect that no serial number is listed in the add. Most adds for heavy equipment include a picture of the serial number plate. Ask for it.

 

The add shows 5010 hours on this machine. That is very low for a 15 year old machine. This Hitachi should have a life of 15-20,000 hours with proper maintenance and use so what you have here is 15 year old Subaru with less than 50,000 miles on it for comparison. Not completely unheard of but unusual.

 

OB listed the weight for you as 82,000 lbs however that does not include a progressive linkage thumb, hydraulic quick attach coupler, or a bucket as shown in the pictures. Those items add about 5,000-6,500 lbs. depending on bucket size and use (Rock bucket vs. dirt bucket  and width). 

 

That machine is an over weight load and depending on the trailer it may not be able to be moved with the bucket on because the stick and boom will not go down far enough to make bridge height laws.

Older model oversize load machines like this often bring less money due to the encumbrance of moving them. 

Current prices for an oversized piece of heavy equipment load is approximately $6.50 per mile. There is no way to suggest $650 flat rate moving for this machine. That is a red flag in this sale add.

Hitachi is one of if not the best excavators built. Very dependable.

If you bought this machine for that price and it gets delivered to your house for $650 you did great! An excavator is one of the most versatile machines built. 

Hitachi uses a special hydraulic oil with no zinc. I would recommend changing the hydraulic oil if you actually end up with this machine. 

 

If you want any information about anything heavy equipment related call me. It’s the least I can do. A chance to pay you back for several Subaru conversations over the years.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romans:

Now tell him the flip side of that coin...

Like how hour meters break, get swapped out by crooks etc. I am pretty confident that machine has way more than 5000 hours. The bulk of companies whom buy equipment like this run them right up to the point of their lifespan that they are going to be a downtime risk and a repair bill nightmare. Fact.

Or the nightmare and cost involved if something goes haywire with the track system, or rotator turret. Ugh.

Keep in mind, we don't have a "you", down here in So Cal that I am aware of. He's going to be at the mercy of the high buck robbers that is So Cal.

Would you not agree that for doing stuff at his home that this thing is about twice as big as he could possibly need?

He finds a knarly sink hole from all the rain we've had here and now he's got a really big problem. $$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!

I see nothing positive about owning a machine like this unless you are creating revenue with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Yes and no. 

I was selling a pair of used cummins 5.9 marine engines on eBay. Both engines had high crankcase pressure but ran well. I sea trialed the boat prior to installing new engines.

Listed both engines as is where is. Fully disclosed all issues and had plenty of photos. 

One engine sold and shipped to Seattle area. No issues. Second engine sold and went to florida. That one turned out to be a scammer. He opened up a complaint and said the engine didnt run and needed 4600.00 worth of repairs. Said injection pump was bad. Engines sold for $6500.00 each. I went back and forth with the guy asking how he came to the conclusion the pump was bad, what did he do to the engine etc. Ask for photos etc. Saw that some parts on the engine that were newer, not related. Figured the guy was trying to cheat me out of money and was doing a paint job overhaul on it to resell.  Did some more research and the guy had two accounts. One he bought stuff with and one he sold stuff with. The buying account showed a bunch of negative feedback left for sellers. Total scammer working the ebay system to work in his favor. 

I then figured he had too much time and money into my old engine and i offered 100% refund and I would pay the return freight. I wanted my engine back and the way it was. 

He refused, he dropped the complaint, left me negative feedback. I kept the funds and wont be selling engines ever again on eBay.

Found the engine two days later on his selling account for sale at $16000.00

All painted, and pretty. Sure is sad as it was worn out inside.

 

WOW!!!!! What a F’ed up sad story...WOW!!!  Good investigation on your end.  Now that guy is a THIEF!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great replies.  I have rented a deere 200d at my house. A 45k unit.  It was big but way too small to move some of the huge rocks I have.  I made s small pond at my house and want to dig it deep. It fills naturally by rain run off from hills around me.  It is waaaaay to big for my use I agree.  I didn't realize it was that expensive to move.  I thought i could use it for a year and sell it for more.  I have a customer that works on heavy equipment and services some excavators over 90k+.    I have always wanted to build a bunker in a shallow hillside of my property.  It would be a one day dig. Haha.  I'm really looking for 30/40k unit.

 

He still has not contacted me.  I will ask for the serial number. Great idea. 

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new scam on ebay is small ball.....they list products...take your money and never deliver...they put a long delivery time and then have your money for 2 months before you get a refund....not a big deal, but I bet the interest adds up....check the seller feedback and see how many in the last month...it is getting more and more common...even on $7 parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that machine is a hard sell around here because it's a logistical nightmare to move it. The companies who have the equipment to move it won't want it and the smaller companies who could use it can't afford to move it.

none of this matters though as you will never look out your window and see this sitting in your yard.

the deal is going to go sideways one way or another. Be it a scam, it's in very poor condition or you do not want to pay 4-5 G's for the two trucks it's going to require to get it to your place. 

Course, it's not in El Monte anyways so it's all a moot point.

OB standing by with fork and knife in hand ready to eat crow. Keep me posted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...