cwarkenton

2D to S4 - Need Advice Please

Ready to put a deposit with Ricky at Wright on a new S4. I will be upgrading my Amplified from a 2D with Peter (Peterbuilt) doing the work.

I thought before I pull the trigger, I'd check with the pros. I've heard there have been many updates over the years and the new S4's are a lot more reliable as compared to some older units. A used deal is somewhere in the low $9k's maybe mid $8's. Does it make any sense to risk it for the $3k savings vs buying new at $12k?

I'm going to stick with 930s for the time being so I don't need to replace trailing arms, hubs, and axles. I've never broken a CV. I pull them every season and prep or replace as needed. Has anyone had bad luck with this? I'm assuming if they held up with 2D , they'll hold up with the S4.

I've had to pull my trans on average once per season since I've had the buggy. Each time has been from bearings to gears to most recently R&P. I do like to drive like an ahole occasionally. Whoops, wheelies, quick shifts, stab the gas, jumps without pressing clutch etc. I never dump the clutch and don't plan on doing so with an S4 either. I have a mild build LS1 putting 368 to the wheels from Redline's dyno. 

This is a costly undertaking as I unfortunately suck with a welder (and pretty much any other tool I'm embarrassed to admit) so any feedback is appreciated. 

Thanks Guys!

I bought my used PBS sequential for $8k about 5 years ago.  Had Rancho go through it, another $1,500. Haven’t done anything to it except change fluid. I run 934s. 

BTW the Weddle/Mendeola/PBS sequentials use the same size R&P as the 2d. 

I went from a 2D to a PBS S5.  I liked the way the gears were stacked a little better...and at the time they shifted way better than the Mendi.  I have heard they worked that out on the newer models.  I know my buddy has an older Mendi S4 and had a lot of shifting problems.  He eventually did the upgrade which was a couple G's.  I love my PBS...it shifts so smooth.  I'd never go back to an H pattern.  I ran 930's for a year when I first did the swap too because I couldn't afford to do it all at once.   I eventually switched to 934's and midboards because I was breaking the 930 stars.  So to answer your questions....yes.  I believe the new Mendi S4's are much better than the earlier ones.  You can call Sean at Weddle Industries too.  He has always been very helpful.  

~jw

1 minute ago, Flip-Flop said:

I bought my used PBS sequential for $8k about 5 years ago.  Had Rancho go through it, another $1,500. Haven’t done anything to it except change fluid. I run 934s. 

BTW the Weddle/Mendeola/PBS sequentials use the same size R&P as the 2d. 

Thanks! I could swear I saw pics of 2D R&P vs Sequential and the Sequential was way bigger. Maybe I'm making that up in my head to justify the money I'm about to spend. Hahah

If I can get 5 year out of mine, it would have paid for itself and then some! 🤘💰

1 minute ago, jwest2sh said:

I went from a 2D to a PBS S5.  I liked the way the gears were stacked a little better...and at the time they shifted way better than the Mendi.  I have heard they worked that out on the newer models.  I know my buddy has an older Mendi S4 and had a lot of shifting problems.  He eventually did the upgrade which was a couple G's.  I love my PBS...it shifts so smooth.  I'd never go back to an H pattern.  I ran 930's for a year when I first did the swap too because I couldn't afford to do it all at once.   I eventually switched to 934's and midboards because I was breaking the 930 stars.  So to answer your questions....yes.  I believe the new Mendi S4's are much better than the earlier ones.  You can call Sean at Weddle Industries too.  He has always been very helpful.  

~jw

Thanks man! 

I did the switch last summer and from everything I heard both Transmissions are very good now. For the CV adapters from 9:34 to 9:30 I got my blanks from Bill at Arizona transaxle and then  did the Machining myself. On my phone right now but a little later I will post the photos from my S4 installation build thread. My car has always been easy on 930s and so far so good with another season beating on it. I have the original CVS in my car and just flip them a couple years ago. It is crazy how hard I have beat on this original setup CVs and not broke one yet. I even brokw an axle and dinged up a star and just deburred it and kept going. For the little bit of difference I would buy a new transmission. Then you also get the correct ratios set up for you.

isn't that much more for the S4D vs a S4 maybe something to think about

Another thing to keep in mind is weddle doesnt have any cases for the s4 right now,I've been waiting on my s4 since mid january,hopefully I'll get it within the next month.

new over used anyday as the updates are many  ($9k plus $1500 for the lightest rebuild and youre only $1500 away from new.  if you need more than you really shot yourself in the foot).  I like the 934 flange now and have adapters that bring you back to 930s.  that way it doesn't cost you $1500 later and have to pull your tranny. 

1 hour ago, onanysunday said:

I did the switch last summer and from everything I heard both Transmissions are very good now. For the CV adapters from 9:34 to 9:30 I got my blanks from Bill at Arizona transaxle and then  did the Machining myself. On my phone right now but a little later I will post the photos from my S4 installation build thread. My car has always been easy on 930s and so far so good with another season beating on it. I have the original CVS in my car and just flip them a couple years ago. It is crazy how hard I have beat on this original setup CVs and not broke one yet. I even brokw an axle and dinged up a star and just deburred it and kept going. For the little bit of difference I would buy a new transmission. Then you also get the correct ratios set up for you.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about the ratios also. I run 33s right now but would like the option of 35s maybe down the road so maybe something in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Dodger08 said:

isn't that much more for the S4D vs a S4 maybe something to think about

Hahah true! it's always just a little more for a little more. I think before I went big hp, I'd just sell the car and buy one already built. I'm already bordering on an uncomfortable and definitely unrecoupable amount of cash in this one. 

44 minutes ago, Rixjohnson said:

Another thing to keep in mind is weddle doesnt have any cases for the s4 right now,I've been waiting on my s4 since mid january,hopefully I'll get it within the next month.

Mid January! I hope I would get faster turn around than that! When I talked to Ricky, he said 4 to 6 weeks I believe but I'll double check. 

37 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

new over used anyday as the updates are many  ($9k plus $1500 for the lightest rebuild and youre only $1500 away from new.  if you need more than you really shot yourself in the foot).  I like the 934 flange now and have adapters that bring you back to 930s.  that way it doesn't cost you $1500 later and have to pull your tranny. 

Thanks John! Kinda whatbibwas originally thinking. Would I need new axles using the adapters? I'm assuming so. 💸 What do the adapters run? 

19 minutes ago, cwarkenton said:

Mid January! I hope I would get faster turn around than that! When I talked to Ricky, he said 4 to 6 weeks I believe but I'll double check. 

It's not the  builders fault,weddle is just taking a little longer than expected to get cases...

46 minutes ago, cwarkenton said:

Thanks John! Kinda whatbibwas originally thinking. Would I need new axles using the adapters? I'm assuming so. 💸 What do the adapters run? 

Here is @onanysunday post about his S4 swap and the adapters he got from Bill at AZ trans. I also run these adapters on my pbs and did not have to change axles

Here is the machining he did

1 hour ago, cwarkenton said:

Not sure on either. Alper sells the adapters and depends on lots of things with regard to axle length axle kick back, drop etc

I don't have anything else to add really, but I'm a 2D owner so probably not the one to ask. But correct me if I'm wrong but won't you need to axles regardless because position, and width of the S4 will be different than the 2D? Just something to keep in mind. Still much cheaper than doing all new 934s as well

Do you have micro stubs or mid board CVs?

3 hours ago, cwarkenton said:

Thanks! I could swear I saw pics of 2D R&P vs Sequential and the Sequential was way bigger. Maybe I'm making that up in my head to justify the money I'm about to spend. Hahah

If I can get 5 year out of mine, it would have paid for itself and then some! 🤘💰

your not.  they are way stronger. yes they are 10.5 in but the S4 is way stronger and thicker than the 2D.  Best upgrade you can do to the car.  I had one in my Amp and loved it.  The new S4 have better shifting than the pbs and older models.  spend the money now.  mine is going in for the upgrade this summer. 

18 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Do you have micro stubs or mid board CVs?

Micro stubs. 

21 minutes ago, acefuture said:

I don't have anything else to add really, but I'm a 2D owner so probably not the one to ask. But correct me if I'm wrong but won't you need to axles regardless because position, and width of the S4 will be different than the 2D? Just something to keep in mind. Still much cheaper than doing all new 934s as well

The original builder of the car said we'd use the same axles. I was thinking the same thing though. I will keep updates in this thread. 

14 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

your not.  they are way stronger. yes they are 10.5 in but the S4 is way stronger and thicker than the 2D.  Best upgrade you can do to the car.  I had one in my Amp and loved it.  The new S4 have better shifting than the pbs and older models.  spend the money now.  mine is going in for the upgrade this summer. 

I'm calling tomorrow and putting a deposit down. 🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

And here is the rest of the work machining those spacers. In the first video of the previous post you can see the bolt head sits just below the surface. In this post you can see I filled the inside with silicone. Also on top of each bolt head you need a good bit of silicone to seal the area from grease escaping or sand getting in. Not very difficult but will be some extra work when it is torn apart to service CVs. Will just need to scrape it from the nooks and crannies. 

Most axles have 2 different spline length. If you have mid board then the longer spline should go there requiring the short spline to be at the cranny.  Because you have micro stubs you can put the short spline outboard and the longer spline can now be at the tranny and may work well with your adapters