Sign in to follow this  
endobear

Diesel Spill in ToyHauler

Posted (edited)

So I totally screwed up. 2x  Driving home from Glamis to Denver about 100 miles from home my rail came loose in the trailer.  It got some scratches in the side panel and damaged a cabinet.  Worst part was the 5 gallon can of diesel it smashed and now I have 4 gallons of that stinky crap all over my trailer.

If I pull all the flooring up, clean, dry, seal and put down new floorcovering will I ever get the stink out? 

Diesel is literally leaking out the trailer.

Got a call into my insurance company. We will see what they say.

I really love our rig  and  it is perfect for us and would hate to have it totalled out but I think I may be screwed.

04 Forest River Sand  Piper 34FS.

Edited by endobear

Tide laundry soap and hot water. Let the Tide soak for a couple of hours.

Repeat several times.

I work on Diesel engines. I hate the smell of diesel fuel.

Posted (edited)

Someone in the bio cleanup might be able to help. What are they called, Service Pro? Another thought is find companies that supply and repair gas stations.

Edited by Richard H

This stuff will work.

http://www.muleheadbrand.com/mule-head-brand-solution1-oil-eating-bugs.html

I have used a few of their products with great success.

BC5FF4D3-265D-4647-A016-ACF474EFE378.jpeg.3c5729d736cd228a4aedcc775f5e5cd9.jpeg

can try this stuff, I used to be over one of the Costco gas stations and this is what we used when we had gas spills

https://www.ecschem.com/product/fm-186-2/ 

Thanks for all the advice.

Talked to the camper shop about bringing it in for a estimate and what to do in this situation and they told me not to even waist my time cleaning or dragging it down for them to look at.

Diesel has made its way under my cabinets, under the walls, through the floor into the insulation and the fabric covering the underside and insulation. 

Its most likely going to get totaled.

Are you sure the insurance company. Will cover damages of a spill? That will be great if they do. 

19 hours ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

Are you sure the insurance company. Will cover damages of a spill? That will be great if they do. 

We will see.  I sure hope so. According to my agent it will be covered. We are insured to the max on the trailer, contents and every toy.

Adjuster is coming sometime next week.

Adjuster came out this morning. They are totaling it out. Should have an offer in 24hrs. 

Bummer part about the trailer is I have put about 3k in parts alone for  brakes, bearings, suspension upgrade and tires in the last 12 months. She was towing perfect.

I have a separate policy for contents. Now I get to inventory everything in the trailer that could possibly absorb the stink. Helmets, bedding, clothes, tie downs, outdoor rugs.

We will see how this goes..

Sorry to read all this. yeah, diesel and wood with soft goods will be ruined or stained for life. One way to keep the termites away! :angryant:

End of the season is somewhat of a blessing. Curious if they will reimburse for replacement value.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, endobear said:

Adjuster came out this morning. They are totaling it out. Should have an offer in 24hrs. 

Bummer part about the trailer is I have put about 3k in parts alone for  brakes, bearings, suspension upgrade and tires in the last 12 months. She was towing perfect.

I have a separate policy for contents. Now I get to inventory everything in the trailer that could possibly absorb the stink. Helmets, bedding, clothes, tie downs, outdoor rugs.

We will see how this goes..

Go do some home work to establish a value. Remember to arrive at an average dollar amount they get some high and some low. Be prepared to show why you believe yours is one of the higher value trailers. Also they will work for you in a much friendlier manor if you can keep the negotiation civil. Good luck.

Edited by Richard H

Just another thought. Others can chime in on how they think the cleaning products would work.

You could also retain the salvage and attempt to clean the trailer yourself. If it works you would have a trailer with a salvage title. This would not have a huge impact if you intend to keep it and use it. If it didn't work then you would have a stinky trailer to sell. (with a salvage title)

6 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Just another thought. Others can chime in on how they think the cleaning products would work.

You could also retain the salvage and attempt to clean the trailer yourself. If it works you would have a trailer with a salvage title. This would not have a huge impact if you intend to keep it and use it. If it didn't work then you would have a stinky trailer to sell. (with a salvage title)

nothing would get it clean, like peeps have said it will get in the wood that u couldn't get to

34 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Go do some home work to establish a value. Remember to arrive at an average dollar amount they get some high and some low. Be prepared to show why you believe yours is one of the higher value trailers. Also they will work for you in a much friendlier manor if you can keep the negotiation civil. Good luck.

They will also reimburse for repairs made within a certain time frame, in addition to "value".

Just a question, who do you have for insurance?

19 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

nothing would get it clean, like peeps have said it will get in the wood that u couldn't get to

Some seem to believe it might clean, you don't know until you try. Insurance company is not willing to gamble, are you?

We clean diesel spills all the time. All the non porous surfaces can be cleaned. Once it is in the wood there is no way to get it it out. Hot water flushing would work( how we get it out of freight trailers think fed ex,ups, etc).  Problem is all the wood will swell and be destroyed. Even after flushing with simple green hot water they air all those trailers out and the smell is still there. 

1 hour ago, Richard H said:

Some seem to believe it might clean, you don't know until you try. Insurance company is not willing to gamble, are you?

42 minutes ago, tommy gunz said:

We clean diesel spills all the time. All the non porous surfaces can be cleaned. Once it is in the wood there is no way to get it it out. Hot water flushing would work( how we get it out of freight trailers think fed ex,ups, etc).  Problem is all the wood will swell and be destroyed. Even after flushing with simple green hot water they air all those trailers out and the smell is still there. 

^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^ 

50 minutes ago, tommy gunz said:

Once it is in the wood there is no way to get it it out.

There is one way....

:hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot:

3 hours ago, Richard H said:

Definitely going to do some research. 

My max payout is $16k. I don't see trailers come up for sale very often that are comparable to mine.

Mine is 17' to the 1st cabinet, Front bedroom, double entry doors and a tow behind. I only see about 4 a year come up for sale.

I'll play nice with the insurance guys. Always try to. The adjuster that is handling my claim seems super understanding. 

3 hours ago, Time2Dune said:

Just a question, who do you have for insurance?

Allstate for 24 years.

2 hours ago, endobear said:

Definitely going to do some research. 

My max payout is $16k. I don't see trailers come up for sale very often that are comparable to mine.

Mine is 17' to the 1st cabinet, Front bedroom, double entry doors and a tow behind. I only see about 4 a year come up for sale.

I'll play nice with the insurance guys. Always try to. The adjuster that is handling my claim seems super understanding. 

Most important question you can ask is, Show me where I find the same unit, like kind and quality for the amount your suggesting as a settlement on my trailer? If that can be done all should be good.

I'm having a real hard time finding comps to my unit within the last 90 days.  Have only found one 04 T34SP and it was a pile of crap. Sent the adjuster a couple of 06-07 ads of similar trailers but that's about all I could come up with. Right now they are offering $12,000 and I cant find anything (decent) not needing work, with 17' to the 1st cabinet, bumper pull, front bath for less than 16k.

Plus, I will more than likely be traveling pretty far to pick up anything I get.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, Kraut_n_Rice said:

They will also reimburse for repairs made within a certain time frame, in addition to "value".

We are working on this. I may be screwed though. Replaced the suspension, bearings and brakes 1 year and 2 weeks before my claim.  They reimburse for up to 1 year.

This is where the adjuster could use a little discretion to give you a bit more for your trailer and reimburse you for the repairs. Two weeks is close enough, he should be able to fudge it and reimburse you for it.

If you buy it back salvaged, you could get decent money for all of the tanks, appliances, generator, etc.

Good luck!