jwest2sh

GPS malfunctioning due to date rollover

I was at Glamis last weekend and my GPS started acting up.  I've never had any issues with the GPS at all.  It's a Lowrance Baja 540C model.  All of the sudden it was like it would loose connection or something.  The speed would start flashing 0.0 and my position would disappear.   It started working better later in the day Saturday but was still intermittent.  I figured it was because we rode down to the oasis on Thursday, and the road there was 1-1/2' deep whoops for about 7 miles each way and I knocked something loose hammering through them at 60mph.  When I got home and got back to work I learned about the GPS date rollover.  Older GPS's might not have the updates to deal with it.  My GPS is a 2006 and has never been updated.  I called Lowrance (it took forever to get through to someone) and finally got a hold of some guy that was probably in India somewhere. He had no idea what I was asking him.  I'm not even sure he knew what a GPS was but he was reading a script that said Lowarance is aware of the problem and their programmers are working doubletime on a fix for it.  He told me to register my GPS with my email address and they would email the update when they had one.  So if anyone has the same issue as me I would recommend registering your GPS on Lowrance's site with you email so you get the updates when they finish them.  Otherwise your GPS might not work next time you go to use it. 

Here's a link with a little info on it.  There's a ton of stuff on the web about it.  

https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-gps-receivers-may-malfunction-on-or-after-april-6/

Thank jwest, good info. Will have to see if my garmin 60csx is affected.

from lowrance

https://www.lowrance.com/news-videos/gps-week-rollover/

Seams like this should've been a problem 19 years, 3 months, and 10 days ago..

Simple, call PCI. 

Never heard about the problem.  All 3 of my Lowrance's work good except for the HDS5 that looses the signal in Glamis occasionally.  Last trip it lost the signal a few times while I was duning so I turned it off/on to get it working.  Sometimes it helped ad sometimes it didn't.

10 hours ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

Simple, call PCI. 

I have only heard rumors of this and that it would only effect older GPS's.  Per a couple websites I have researched this on, the problem should work itself out or you can try to update the software to whats is the most current OR WHAT IS MOST CURRENT BUT STILL COMPATIBLE WITH MAPPING CARDS. I can only speak on Lowrance products so sorry if you have other brands.

If you are unsure on how to update software, this link should give you an idea. 

3 minutes ago, RallyAlleigh said:

I have only heard rumors of this and that it would only effect older GPS's.  Per a couple websites I have researched this on, the problem should work itself out or you can try to update the software to whats is the most current OR WHAT IS MOST CURRENT BUT STILL COMPATIBLE WITH MAPPING CARDS. I can only speak on Lowrance products so sorry if you have other brands.

If you are unsure on how to update software, this link should give you an idea. 

You could have updated all 3 of mine on Monday...

1 minute ago, L.R.S. said:

You could have updated all 3 of mine on Monday...

i dont think yours were effected by this... im pretty sure we are talking global maps old.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, RallyAlleigh said:

i dont think yours were effected by this... im pretty sure we are talking global maps old.

Ahh, got it. I have all HDS units cause I ball like that.

Look at you working on my stuff...

Edited by L.R.S.

So my old global map Baja is probably gonna need some service to continue working as before?

I noticed my Lowrance iFinder Map & Music (used global maps 6) did all the things you described on one trip. Thought damn there goes the rock solid tool I had been using for years. Then next trip it all functioned normally. I had already been looking for an upgrade (Trail Tech Voyager Pro) but didn't want to drop the $$$$$$

Mine would not link to satellites, show wrong location, not track my line, jump locations, etc...

I guess I better look at the map data and see what it tracked on the last trip.

13 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

So my old global map Baja is probably gonna need some service to continue working as before?

I imagine all you need to do is put the new firmware file on an empty SD card and let it load the new firmware. Very easy.

2 hours ago, socaldmax said:

I imagine all you need to do is put the new firmware file on an empty SD card and let it load the new firmware. Very easy.

Yes...that's what Lowrance told me.  Once they have the update they will email it to everyone that registered their GPS. I registered mine today.  It took about 5 min on their website.  The serial number is on the bottom on a sticker.  I called PCI today too. They hadn't heard of the rollover.  I turned the GPS on today again and it's still flashing and can't find it's location.

~jw