Sign in to follow this  
sandforme

Enclosed trailer brakes buzzing

I hauled my enclosed this past weekend and noticed my Prodigy controller showed a ( nc ). I checked a couple times and was plugged all the way in. Anyhow the breaks were working on the trailer but the controller did not show voltage like normal...it still showed nc. When I go home I could hear the trailer brakes buzzing? When I would unplug from truck buzzing would go away. Seams strange it was only buzzing from passenger side?

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Magnets may be worn where they contact the drum, usually buzzing just means there is juice flowing to the brakes and they buzz when u press the  brake pedal as the pads engage. the buzzing is normal should be coming from both sides. the side not buzzing is the side where your issue is.

buzzing all the time or only when you are on the brakes? Bad wire?

Mine buzz or hum when brake is applied.

They should only buzz when the brake is applied.

It sounds like its time to have your trailer brakes serviced.

hi-jack not intended, but on a similar note .... Anyone without a built in controller ever experience their controller ( mine is a prodigy ) display for example 1.2v when applying brake, then at next stop when applying brake it goes up to 4.7v, then next time applying brake it goes to 2.3v all with out ever touching it ? Not sure if it is time for new controller or new truck !

I had this happen on my enclosed, trailer was plugged in and showed NC on the prodigy controller but the brakes were buzzing at all 6 wheels all the time meaning the trailer brakes were engaged all the time. I tried just unplugging the trailer and plugging it back in but that didn't make a difference. I ended up unplugging the prodigy from the back of he unit to reset it and the problem went away.

Buzzing all the time......brakes being applied or not. Only time they stop is when I unplug trailer from the truck.

I will try unplugging the prodigy and see if it resets but seams like a controller problem...

When I dragged the trailer home with motorhome (it has a prodigy) it read voltage and seemed to work properly.  Only thing is I did not notice buzzing but being a diesel pusher its loud back there.

Finally got around to checking the brakes again....Looks like something going on at controller. I unplugged and messed around with the wiring and plug and got it to work but seams like a short or something but its at the connector/controller.