matt86m

$30,000 for a built in BBQ island

Are you out of your got damn mind?????

That didn't include the bbq or the side burner! 

Didn't include a space for my Big Green Egg.

Didn't include the double doors for storage.

$30,000!!!??!!??

Systems Pavers can kiss my a$$!

Completely checked out of the 'meeting' once they showed us the $120k price tag on 1/3 of our back yard! 

Rant over!

Holy F**K!

I got a guy here in San Diego area, used to run Western pavers  crews, but now he's on his own, lemme know

I have a guy in riverside

great work cheap as hell!!

With top of the line Grill and all matching components that's not bad depending on size. Now dought SP giving you that. I have built one that was 20k in materials and not to big. Grill alone was $7K after tax. He now wants one at his new house direct view of Catalina while grilling. One I was today needs 1 as well. Easy 25k for what's on the blue prints.

They spend big bucks on advertising got to make it back somewhere. 

Well, you should put some Anderson Windows in when system pavers does the back yard then.

Maybe they saw your Instagram account and all 9 of your BBQs and smokers and figured you were a baller. Hopefully they don't know about all 5 of your deep freezers full of exotic meats from around the world. 

Is it a 45ft long Bbq island? 

We build em- avg price is around 600-700plf for island with pour in place concrete counter top. Plus equipment, bbq, sink, doors, etc

Don't we have a vendor who does backyard BBQ islands? Island Style or something like that?

I'm not real fond of permanent BBQ islands, I prefer a BBQ to have wheels on it, that way if I decide to rearrange the patio there's no demolition involved. I have seen some beautiful backyard setups, but it's just not something I'd spend money on. 

Posted (edited)

There used to be a vendor at the Costa Mesa Marketplace that sold outdoor kitchens for some decent prices. Are you wanting champagne on a beer budget? 

Not something I'd spend money on either. 

Edited by fortyfour

thats what happens when you don't do things yourself Matt.  get some block and mud at Home depot and start building.  grab some workers while you are there and get to work.  you are retired all you have it time.  Oh you might have to miss a fishing trip or two.  lol

8 hours ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

With top of the line Grill and all matching components that's not bad depending on size. Now dought SP giving you that. I have built one that was 20k in materials and not to big. Grill alone was $7K after tax. He now wants one at his new house direct view of Catalina while grilling. One I was today needs 1 as well. Easy 25k for what's on the blue prints.

They spend big bucks on advertising got to make it back somewhere. 

That did NOT include a bbq, side burner and double door below the bbq.

I dont expect anything for free, I know they got to make their money but we are talking about aluminum studs for the frame. Backer board with either stucco finish or stone on the vertical surfaces and a counter top - granite or concrete. Cinder block built in is even more.

The grill, side burner and doors were additional $3500 - priced them out on Amazon - exact brand & models  were $ 2000. I know they mark things up. Not upset about that, he said we can provide our own.

Its the $30,000 for the island that Im bitching about.

7 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Maybe they saw your Instagram account and all 9 of your BBQs and smokers and figured you were a baller. Hopefully they don't know about all 5 of your deep freezers full of exotic meats from around the world. 

I only have 5 at the house,,,,,and 1 freezer but I am looking for a small fridge so I can start dry aging meat.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

thats what happens when you don't do things yourself Matt.  get some block and mud at Home depot and start building.  grab some workers while you are there and get to work.  you are retired all you have it time.  Oh you might have to miss a fishing trip or two.  lol

Exactly.

I did mine with steel studs, wonder board and paid a guy to do the stucco. I did the stained concrete counter myself. It's about ready for a refresh but still functions great. Let me get a pic.

@DeviantDuner might do this kind of work.

and whatever you do, don't skip on any fishing trips. WTF are you saying squatcher?

Edited by spize909

9 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

I got a guy here in San Diego area, used to run Western pavers  crews, but now he's on his own, lemme know

Thank you

9 hours ago, CHRIS J said:

I have a guy in riverside

great work cheap as hell!!

Thank you

6 hours ago, DeviantDuner said:

Is it a 45ft long Bbq island? 

We build em- avg price is around 600-700plf for island with pour in place concrete counter top. Plus equipment, bbq, sink, doors, etc

Forgot to mention that,,,, 10' x 12' L shaped island. Cut out for 26'' gas grill, cut out for single side burner.  His grand design left my Egg in its orig table, that is the MAIN grill and he left it out!

5 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Don't we have a vendor who does backyard BBQ islands? Island Style or something like that?

I'm not real fond of permanent BBQ islands, I prefer a BBQ to have wheels on it, that way if I decide to rearrange the patio there's no demolition involved. I have seen some beautiful backyard setups, but it's just not something I'd spend money on. 

We do and I follow him on IG, Islands in the Sun. We may be talking.

1 minute ago, spize909 said:

20190413_071813.jpg

notice the "built-in" Weber kettle.

6 minutes ago, spize909 said:

notice the "built-in" Weber kettle.

I did, like that!

1 minute ago, matt86m said:

I did, like that!

only problem is that I use it about 3 times a year :(. Trying to use it more. Cooked some ribeyes on it last weekend. Pulls right out if I need to use it elsewhere as well. I have the wheels/stand in the garage.

1 minute ago, spize909 said:

only problem is that I use it about 3 times a year :(. Trying to use it more. Cooked some ribeyes on it last weekend. Pulls right out if I need to use it elsewhere as well. I have the wheels/stand in the garage.

Gas is for an easy fast cook but I like the charcoal grills better. 

Just now, matt86m said:

Gas is for an easy fast cook but I like the charcoal grills better. 

yes......but you seem to have a bunch of time. Too much I'd say. 

I had fun building a  4 x 14 foot outdoor bar/island with a cut out for a 36 inch griddle and two burner side. Teppan Yaki style BBQ or carne asada street tacos etc. Frame was 2" x 3" steel tube mig welded, then plywood, then cement backer board, then granite tile. Tile is cheap compared to a slab and lighter. then welded 12 bar stools out of scrap pipe fence. I have it under a pergola. Craigs list old restaurant gr Fiddle and stove top burner $300 bucks, steel/wood/cement board/tile $800?  Flaming  onion volcano with family...priceless!

42 minutes ago, spize909 said:

20190413_071813.jpg

Very nice!!! You're hired!!

10 hours ago, matt86m said:

Are you out of your got damn mind?????

That didn't include the bbq or the side burner! 

Didn't include a space for my Big Green Egg.

Didn't include the double doors for storage.

$30,000!!!??!!??

Systems Pavers can kiss my a$$!

Completely checked out of the 'meeting' once they showed us the $120k price tag on 1/3 of our back yard! 

Rant over!

Sounds expensive especially when the grills and other things are not included. 

That's why we shop around and hit up GD.com for recommendations and ideas.

Soon you will be grilling and happy with who and what you chose.

Trying to attach a photo of my bar project, hope it works! I added a big screen TV on back wall.

431143_4541200776683_350875357_n.jpg

540494_4202087139054_95782570_n.jpg

531236_4467753860556_465093178_n.jpg

Yep. Too much.