Venom

RZR vs. X3 vs. Sandrail

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, BLKturbo91 said:

The idea of less maintenance well lets just say you will find out that belts are expensive, places to work on your SXS don't give a eff* about your ride as there are plenty of other SXS owners that will gladly give them money when you won't.  The places like SDR,TMW are great when it comes to getting aftermarket parts but when you need service not many places to go that again care because there are more customers right around the corner.   I have had both and still have a RZR stuck in the garage that I will get almost nothing for when the wife finally lets me get rid of it compared to the buggy that I sold even in a soft market I still broke even on and I had 3 seasons of dune shredding fun and guess what when I took it to get freshened up the place cared and even did what I asked him to do.  I only goto the dunes so I maybe a bit bias and yes you can take a SXS many places but you still will have clutch problems and service problems as I think even to manufactures considers these disposable toys like a motorcycle or personal water craft.....

Based on your enlightening comments on the future of a SxS, I have now adjusted my plans for transitioning out of my current SxS.

Edited by Phoenix7

On 4/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, Venom said:

Any of the 2019 Can Am X3 RS models will have the smart lock.   If you are doing a mix of hardpack and dunes the X3  RS Max or the 4 Seat Turbo S would be the way to go.

I have a 2 seat X3 and I ride with 4 seat Polaris Turbo S and 4 seat Can Am X3 Max.    I have driven both the 4 seat Turbo S and the X3 Max.   In the dunes the Can Am Max drives shorter and is not as lumbering as you would think considering the wheelbase and length.   In the hardpack it is a whoop eating machine once you get the ride height and suspension dialed in.  Can Am will need the lower a-arms either gusseted (see the Extreme Performance "taco kit") and a gusset kit for the front end.  Once you do these mods the car is a desert and dune killer.    The Rotax motor is hard to beat for reliability.   

The 4 seat Turbo S with the active suspension and ride command is really nice.  It has the nicest riding suspension right from the showroom floor.  With a push of a button you can go from a soft ride setting to medium to a firm setting.   The ride command is pretty cool with the built in GPS and other features.  It comes with 32" tires which is a huge bonus for the hardpack.  The entire SXS is designed around the 32" tires meaning the drive train is beefied up and the clutching is dialed in for the tires.  If you go with a Polaris I would only go with a Turbo S model in a 4 seater.  

Whatever your budget expect to blow past it once you start adding aftermarket goodies. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Any of the 2019 Can Am X3 RS models will have the smart lock.   If you are doing a mix of hardpack and dunes the X3  RS Max or the 4 Seat Turbo S would be the way to go.

I have a 2 seat X3 and I ride with 4 seat Polaris Turbo S and 4 seat Can Am X3 Max.    I have driven both the 4 seat Turbo S and the X3 Max.   In the dunes the Can Am Max drives shorter and is not as lumbering as you would think considering the wheelbase and length.   In the hardpack it is a whoop eating machine once you get the ride height and suspension dialed in.  Can Am will need the lower a-arms either gusseted (see the Extreme Performance "taco kit") and a gusset kit for the front end.  Once you do these mods the car is a desert and dune killer.    The Rotax motor is hard to beat for reliability.   

The 4 seat Turbo S with the active suspension and ride command is really nice.  It has the nicest riding suspension right from the showroom floor.  With a push of a button you can go from a soft ride setting to medium to a firm setting.   The ride command is pretty cool with the built in GPS and other features.  It comes with 32" tires which is a huge bonus for the hardpack.  The entire SXS is designed around the 32" tires meaning the drive train is beefied up and the clutching is dialed in for the tires.  If you go with a Polaris I would only go with a Turbo S model in a 4 seater.  

Whatever your budget expect to blow past it once you start adding aftermarket goodies. 

Great insight.

I would expect to blow past my budget with whatever I decide, because i'm not one to leave things alone. Always adding my personal touch, and of course whatever I can to add power.

Edited by Venom

Posted (edited)

I was in the same predicament not to long ago. I purchased a RZR Trubo 2017 xp4 and then 6 months later I purchased the sandrail. The RZR sat in the garage for like 3 months new . I always wanted a sandrail but since most of the guys I ride with had rzr I decided to go the rzr route.  I wish would have purchased the sandrail first I would have saved like $6000.00 in depreciation cash after I sold the RZR(My used Mendi 2D was 5k. I kick myself for getting the RZR first!). I also feel that a sandrail gives you the option to upgrade stuff like trans, engine, etc.. Since I do most of my fab work its fairly cheap. The other big factor is power. The sandrail can go up anything pretty much and if it doesn't then you can upgrade to V8.  My car is a V6 and its great.  The sandrail feels way safer than the SXS period. It also has the ability to slide which is fun; the SXS not too much. 

Purchase the sandrail then get a 2 seater rzr this is what I am doing next for my daughter and wife. I started to teach my kids how to drive the sand rail so they can also have fun on it too.  

If you see a sandrail that you like and the price is good with a decent Engine and trans and it fits in your trailer/toy hauler get it. If you dont like it sell it for the about the same price and get a SXS. 

Also; I go to glamis most time but I also take my sandrail to TDS and it pretty much goes everywhere that the jeeps make it.  One more thing; If you like to go fast then sandrail all the way. 

Good luck. 

Edited by jhuerta
update.

I snapped my pinion shaft in half in my buggy early on in the season. Buggy was out for a couple weeks and I got a big bill to fix trans. 

A trip came up that I wanted to go on while the buggy was down so I bought the wife that can am she always wanted and drove that for the weekend. After that weekend, I decided eff* a buggy with all the maintenance and repair bills and the loading and bla bla bla. I left that weekend knowing I was putting my buggy up for sale as soon as it got back. 

Well my trans came back and buggy was all fixed. I had to do at least one more trip with it before I put it up for sale. I realized on that trip I was absolutely out of my mind. There is zero comparison between the two. The way a buggy handles and slides in the dunes is priceless to me. We've had many trips with the wife's ride and my buggy. I haven't taken the x3 once. 

For whatever it's worth that's my experience. I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to invest the time, money, and risk into the dunes I'm going to drive a vehicle that was designed specifically to own that places terrain.