socaldmax

Feds say California didn’t comply with ‘two document’ Real ID requirement

Feds say California didn’t comply with ‘two document’ Real ID requirement

The California Department of Motor Vehicles issued 2.3 million new IDs this year using a process that doesn’t meet the federal government’s standards, the DMV was told last month.

The development means Californians who got those Real IDs will need to provide a second form of documentation to prove their residency when their ID comes up for renewal. DMV spokesman Armando Botello said the federal government told the DMV during phone conversations about the issue that it would still accept IDs that didn’t meet the requirement in the meantime.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security sent DMV director Jean Shiomoto a letter on Nov. 21 saying California’s process for verifying ID applicants’ residency didn’t meet federal requirements.

Federal standards require ID applicants to “present at least two documents of the State’s choice that include the individual’s name and principal residence,” according to the letter. It instructed the DMV to send federal officials a plan to correct the issue.

The department is still finalizing its correction plan, but intends to start requiring new applicants to provide two documents verifying residency beginning in April.

In a Friday letter, Shiomoto told DHS that Californians provide one residency document when they apply for a new ID at the DMV and that the department then mails the ID to the address provided as secondary verification.

The department provided several em-ails between California and federal officials from last year that show DHS official Steve Yonkers, director of identity and credentialing for the Real ID program, describing the state’s residency verification plan as “acceptable.”

Still, the department will begin asking new applicants for two documents verifying residency starting in April 2019, Shiomoto wrote in her letter.

After Oct. 1, 2020, airport security checkpoints won’t accept IDs that don’t meet federally mandated security upgrades known as Real ID. Shiomoto wrote that cards that have already been issued “will be accepted for official federal purposes.”

People who got their IDs using just one residency document will need to provide a second document when their license comes up for renewal in five years. The department is working to let those people submit their residency document online or by mail, Botello said.

DHS did not immediately respond to questions on Friday afternoon.

Republican lawmakers complained that the DMV continued to issue Real IDs under the old procedure even after receiving the November letter from DHS.

“It’s completely unacceptable that the DMV knew about this issue for a month before even acknowledging something was wrong,” Assembly Republican Leader Marie Waldron said in a statement. “This is unacceptable and flies in the face of security for our citizens, which is what Real ID was created for in the first place.”

The Real ID law was passed in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and requires new ID cards to carry special markings.

Despite the DMV’s assurances, Republican Assemblyman Jim Patterson said he’s worried the Real ID issues could jeopardize Californians’ ability to board planes when the federal requirements take effect.

“We’re on the edge here of a major catastrophe,” said Patterson, an outspoken DMV critic. This is the kind of nonsense that we keep hearing from the DMV over and over again.”

It’s latest problem the department has faced the past few months. Hourslong wait times at department field offices drew public outcry and harsh critiques from lawmakers over the summer. The department blamed the delays in part on the new Real ID requirements, which Shiomoto told lawmakers were more time-consuming to explain to customers than expected.

The department has also received sharp criticism for improperly registering thousands of people to vote. Secretary of State Alex Padilla, California’s top election official, said earlier this month that Shiomoto “lost my confidence and trust.”

Shiomoto has announced she will retire this year after three decades at the department. Gov. Jerry Brown announced this week that DMV’s chief deputy director Bill Davidson will replace her as acting director at the end of the year.

Gov. Jerry Brown?

just did mine Thursday........passport, SS card, and W2 and bank statement.

Better be good.....

Got my appointment in May, bringing all of it! 

I would think the requirements are common sense

when we got our paperwork for our real ID we went to the gov site not the state site, it was allot of paperwork

Original Birth Cert, my wife was out of state so she had to show the Doc and the Registered mail that it came from,

and for women what a pain due to her being married, she had to bring all the paperwork for our marriage, marriage certs ect,   we brought double the paper work just to make sure we did not have to come back

allot of fun that DMV is in Nevada, Nevada has a walk up line so you can wait up to 5 hours there,  you can make a appointment but can take a week or weeks,   

I showed at least 3 documents last August when I renewed my license.

They tell you what to bring in advance.

1 hour ago, old flatty said:

I showed at least 3 documents last August when I renewed my license.

They tell you what to bring in advance.

In August of last yr, the DMV did not know what documents were required by the Federal law. They didn't start asking for the correct documents until sometime this month. DHS says they will still accept the Real IDs that were obtained without the correct docs, but up until April, the DMV wasn't asking for the correct documents.

5 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Gov. Jerry Brown?

The article was from Dec. 21, 2018.

Posted (edited)

I got mine Aug 2016 and it can be confusing looking at the info looks like each state is showing there requirement, looks like CA let you guys down what a pain to deal with over and over again, for NV it was pretty simple, for my wife with my last name they ran her around and around,

not sure if it will help but this is the tsa website

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Edited by J Alper

I got mine last December. Passport, ss paperwork, gas bill, plus several others.

No issues.

I have been using a UPS store mailbox for years for everything including taxes and bills.    Not hard to fake being a local resident.

I never understood why Real ID has more requirements than a Passport, or why just a Passport is insufficient.  

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I never understood why Real ID has more requirements than a Passport, or why just a Passport is insufficient.  

Because I said so, that's why. 

1 minute ago, WLD-OTZ said:

Because I said so, that's why. 

Excellent reasoning sir.

Another thing to remember-  If your up for an auto renewal and don't need to take the test again, bring that form with you. If you don't, you will have to take the test. I went to the DMV in El Cajon and it was pretty easy. Made the appointment on line, it was 2 months out, got all my paperwork in order during that time.

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Excellent reasoning sir.

Yore welcome. 

Is this a major win for fighting illegal immigration?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Is this a major win for fighting illegal immigration?

Just a reaction to it.  CA decided it would be awesome to issue ID cards and driver's licenses to anyone that wanted one, so the gov't had to do something or we'd have a bunch of undocumented people with official state documents that had to be honored.

I've always wanted to get a driver's license for "Wang Lung" or "Hop Singh" and give that to the PoPo every time I got pulled over...  My desire to stay legal and honest is really the only thing stopping me... :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

16 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Just a reaction to it.  CA decided it would be awesome to issue ID cards and driver's licenses to anyone that wanted one, so the gov't had to do something or we'd have a bunch of undocumented people with official state documents that had to be honored.

I've always wanted to get a driver's license for "Wang Lung" or "Hop Singh" and give that to the PoPo every time I got pulled over...  My desire to stay legal and honest is really the only thing stopping me... :bigrin 

There's nothing stopping you from changing your name to Wang Lung or Hop Singh. Then you'd be legal, and famous.

41 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

There's nothing stopping you from changing your name to Wang Lung or Hop Singh. Then you'd be legal, and famous.

Very true.

But my thought would be to only be "Wang Lung" or "Hop Singh" when the lights are flashing because the local constabulary didn't appreciate 105mph in a school zone... :bigrin 

21 hours ago, spize909 said:

just did mine Thursday........passport, SS card, and W2 and bank statement.

Better be good.....

You'll get a letter for another proof of address.

6 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Only you could get away with that. 😊 DON~~~

Posted (edited)

This is bullshit, I did mine in May last year and had to have my birth certificate, ss card, passport and mail from my address.  Now we get INCONVENIENCED YET AGAIN because CA is being a PITA to the Fed and they're gonna find ways to eff us  

Edited by Orange_R

Good to know, two forms for Address Verification.

My wife did hers in December and had Certified copy of birth certificate, Certified marriage certificate (Most Women will need, unless Liberal type LOL), W-2 form and Home utility bills.

We might be lucky in that the W2 and Home utility bill BOTH have the home address - ZING!

#WINNING

I still need to go get mine...but GOT is on tv :moof:

22 hours ago, sand junkie said:

You'll get a letter for another proof of address.

I gave them 2. I had 3 with me and they picked out 2 of the 3. I should be fine.