Sign in to follow this  
Bansh88

LT-Z50 questions and help

My brother just picked up a great condition Suzuki LT-Z50 on the cheap.  Of course, it was cheap because it's not running..

Questions:

The brake has to be on to start?

The pull start will start the bike regardless of electric start not working?  Does it even need a battery to run?

Issues:

Has spark, has gas flow and the carb is clean and clear, brand new battery.  Wont start.

The starter sound like it just spins.  No engine engagement.

The pull start has a fairly smooth pull.  Doesn't have a strong feel like the motor is turning over as with a larger bike or even an ATC70.  I'm not familiar with such a small bike or such a newer model.  Should it be easy enough for a small child to pull start?

I messed with an LT80 a couple years ago.  I was told to replace one of the square diode thingies coming of the battery.  I can't recall what the issue was for but I know it fixed something.

Any ideas?  He got it cheap enough, any issue was going to be worth it.  Even if it had to go to a shop.  Just hoping I can give him a hand with any easy items that it may have.

Posted (edited)

My daughter's doesn't have E-start, but yes, the parking brake has to be engaged to start.  There's some sort of lever that the brake pulls to lock in the pull-start collar so it actually does something.  If you're not getting the "doo-doo-doo" sounds of compression/release, it's not engaged.  If you are, that top end is probably worn the fack out. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

Posted (edited)

First and foremost, compression test. I picked an lt80 from a board member a few years ago that, “just needs a carb cleaning”. Did all that, still wouldnt run without a direct prime of starting fluid, then would not stay running. Checked compression, and it was in the 20s, new piston/ rings was all good after that. 

I have 2 lt50s, the starter pull is very light on both

Edited by sausage450r

I would be amazed if the top end was out.  This bike barely looks ridden.

I think on these there is a kill switch that will not allow it to start at all. I think its back behind/under the rear grab bar.

12 minutes ago, tommy gunz said:

I think on these there is a kill switch that will not allow it to start at all. I think its back behind/under the rear grab bar.

Yes there is, its a pull lanyard

Lanyard plug is in.  Ya, if that's out, nothing happens at all.

Have you sprayed starting fluid directly into the cylinder? Does it run until its gone? If it has spark, compression, but wont stay running, look again at fuel system. There are typically two main jets (stacked) make sure both are clear (they are so small only takes a tiny spec). The petcock system is vacuum actuated, if there isnt vacuum, or if the valve is bad, you wont have fuel flow

Starting fluid didn't work.  Sprayed straight into carb.  Have not been able to get it to fire.  Visually inspected each jet after cleaning and compressed air.

If I open up the bottom carb drain and fuel comes out

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bansh88 said:

Starting fluid didn't work.  Sprayed straight into carb.  Have not been able to get it to fire.  Visually inspected each jet after cleaning and compressed air.

If I open up the bottom carb drain and fuel comes out

If its got spark and fuel you NEED to do a compression test. Its getting air right? Make sure air is comming out exhaust too. The secondary jet is buried deep in the carb under the primary jet, you pulled and cleaned both right?

Edited by sausage450r

1 hour ago, Bansh88 said:

I would be amazed if the top end was out.  This bike barely looks ridden.

No low oil shutoff of them though, so if someone ran the injection tank dry...

Or is this a 4 stroke?

I had one of these I was not able to start it due to the a pull lanyard. I had to play around with it. I don't remember what I did to check it.  Check current, gas.

This a 4 stroke.  I just noticed the 2 jets.  

I'm gonna pull the plastics off Thursday to get better access and go through carb again.  Wife said she recalls a 3rd hose coming off it that wasnt connected to something.  PRI gas vaccum bullshit?

Posted (edited)

Two lines, one to carb one to head. Check yore valves, they can cause yore no start. If petcock lines are not attached properly, fuel will not flow

Edited by sausage450r

Very mechanically inclined buddy showed up today. We explored a bit farther and found a valve rod bent.  That continued on to a valve stuck/corroded.

Pulled everything apart, "repaired", cleaned and lubed.  Put back together....fired right up.

Oil that poured out when we removed the engine appeared to be half fuel. I think this shitty Suzuki petcock allowed the engine be flooded for an extended period of time and corroded the internals?

Anyhow.  Bike is running great now. My brother just owes him $100.  Not bad for $475 total.

Posted (edited)

God damnit!  Pulled it out this morning.  Wont start

Edited by Bansh88

I have a two stroke 50.   It drove me nuts for awhile until I realized that the choke “on” was in the down position.  Pretty stupid design considering that’s the opposite of every other Japanese bike ever made.  

4 hours ago, Bansh88 said:

God damnit!  Pulled it out this morning.  Wont start

More fuel get in? Yamaha raptor petcock is direct replacement 35$ at motoworld. Plug the vacuum line from the head

Got it fired up later in the day. 

Suzuki is a total shit design.  The bike really needs a long, hot ride and run good, clean 91 through it.  It's so damn small, I cant even ride it.