One of the summer upgrades Im doing is having my lq9 built to a 408 stroker and Im gonna have a Whipple Supercharger installed as well ..my question is will my motor be able to be tuned with my MEFI 4b computer or do I need to get something else?

MEFI 4b will work.

9 minutes ago, Twin Turbo Tommy said:

One of the summer upgrades Im doing is having my lq9 built to a 408 stroker and Im gonna have a Whipple Supercharger installed as well ..my question is will my motor be able to be tuned with my MEFI 4b computer or do I need to get something else?

they will work, the MEFI is very basic operation, so if you go to a supercharger motor and want it to live then you need a Air temp gauge,  also we only build our SC motors with Inconel Exhaust valves

Posted (edited)

There are literally thousands of Supercharged LS and BBC engines running the MEFI 4B. Including ones GM and Mercruiser put in the market for years.  very successfully. For an off road application the ECM is more than adequate. While it is older than the current crop of self-tuners like AEM, Holley,Fast, etc most of the Buzz the new ECMs have is about Vendors upgrading you to make more money - new things are ALWAYS better 🙂 .....  Their features it has for finer control that helps with emissions, and mostly reporting analytics - like great log files and dash outputs,  this is really important when you run a race engine at the hairy edge or have street car that has run super clean. 

the newer ECMs have finer control and they can make the engine run crisper with enough spend on the Dyno... The MEFI cars will run fatter to be safer -  lean is mean but also can be dangerous in the hands of bad tuners  - this is true of ANY ECM However self tuners  ie  ECMs that use closed loop and O2 sensors  can adjust out a bad tune to some extent and save a bad tune (lazy tuners)

I have run over a dozen myself and never had a problem with the right person tuning and there are many that know the MEFI like Redline, turnkey and of course CBM.

You don't need air temp gauges or special valves, thats just ignorance on the tuners part. You just need to use someone that understands the tune.  Or you can spend 2-3K more and but something new and hope the tuner has enough time on that. Some people feel better doing that, and I get it...

Edited by fullthrottleguy

1 minute ago, fullthrottleguy said:

There are literally thousands of Supercharged LS and BBC engines running the MEFI 4B. very successfully. For an off road application the ECM is more than adequate. While it is older than the current crop of self-tuners like AEM, Holley,Fast, etc most of the Buzz the new ECMs have is about Vendors upgrading you to make more money (new things are ALWAYS better 🙂 and  the features it has for finer control that helps with Emissions, and mostly  reporting analytics - this s really important when you run a race engine at the hairy edge or have street car that has run super clean. 

the newer ECMs have finer control and they can make the engine run crisper with enough spend on the Dyno... The MEFI cars will run fatter to be safer -  lean is mean but also can be dangerous in the hands of bad tuners  - this is true of ANY ECM However self tuners  ie  ECMs that use closed loop and O2 sensors  can adjust out a bad tune to some extent and save a bad tune (lazy tuners)

I have run over a dozen myself and never had a problem with the right person tuning and there are many that know the MEFI like Redline, turnkey and of course CBM.

You don't need air temp gauges or special valves, thats just ignorance on the tuners part. You just need to use someone that understands the tune.  Or you can spend 2-3K more and but something new and hope the tuner has enough time on that.

I totally disagree, Redline makes perfect sense, why chance all that work, to not have a air temp guage, boosted motors can make hot air, depending on boost, especially a stroked motor, if the air temp is getting close to the 200* then you are going to have detonation, then after time every one want to blame the engine builder that the motor had broken rings or piston issue,

Chan recommends a Air temp, and when we put one on @Metal tech motorsports it was crazy what we seen, Justin would run the hill multiple time then hit the highway, after the air temp on some passes depending on the heat of the day, it was over 200* after one hard pull up Comp hill, 

Why take a chance on a 12k-15k motor over a $60 guage,  

GM now comes stock with Inconel valve for $250 it is the safest part you can put in a supercharged motor,   yes a motor can go without them, but if you drop a valve you will be so pist you did not spend the money for a good exhaust valve,

we want our motors to last with us beating on them, so spending a extra $300 make sense to use, might not for some,

2 hours ago, J Alper said:

I totally disagree, Redline makes perfect sense, why chance all that work, to not have a air temp guage, boosted motors can make hot air, depending on boost, especially a stroked motor, if the air temp is getting close to the 200* then you are going to have detonation, then after time every one want to blame the engine builder that the motor had broken rings or piston issue,

Chan recommends a Air temp, and when we put one on @Metal tech motorsports it was crazy what we seen, Justin would run the hill multiple time then hit the highway, after the air temp on some passes depending on the heat of the day, it was over 200* after one hard pull up Comp hill, 

Why take a chance on a 12k-15k motor over a $60 guage,  

GM now comes stock with Inconel valve for $250 it is the safest part you can put in a supercharged motor,   yes a motor can go without them, but if you drop a valve you will be so pist you did not spend the money for a good exhaust valve,

we want our motors to last with us beating on them, so spending a extra $300 make sense to use, might not for some,

Jason 

I respect you, but you should do some homework - arguing is not productive to the Ops question

I have built dozens of SC Sand cars and more Street and race cars, I have been through the Turbonetics cert courses, and worked withRoots and Twin screw blowers on many cars...

you logic is sideways

Bottomline MEFI is OK tuned right - to answer the Question

I think maybe stating using a air temp sensor in the blower so it can read air intake temps and make adjustment to the tune because of the temps may be a more accurate statement. Most of the blowers have a provision. On the Mefi many tuners will tell you they can't get into the computer because they are locked from another tuner. We have all the software needed to get into them. 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, CBM said:

I. On the Mefi many tuners will tell you they can't get into the computer because they are locked from another tuner. We have all the software needed to get into them. 

Not sure why you would lock them?..Its not like my car has any big secret tune on it..Plus Im not borrowing the computer from them... I bought it..I own it ...so if anyone is to put a lock on it ..it should be the own of the computer

Some tuners are arrogant enough to think that the tune they put in your car is their intellectual property...

every ECM we have on our car we purchase the software,

it is a good idea, so if you have a issue with a motor you can run a data file to see what is going on, 

58 minutes ago, J Alper said:

every ECM we have on our car we purchase the software,

it is a good idea, so if you have a issue with a motor you can run a data file to see what is going on, 

Most tuners do lock the file, and I think its for a good reason and a selfish one -

1. New Newbie should NEVER be playing with a tune as most people don't realize they could very easily destroy their engine with just a few poorly placed changes

Depending on the ECU - the tuning SW is free - Like Holley, FiTECH, AEM and others  - so you can set up and run data loggers etc. 

Other systems like MEFI do not have data loggers so running the SW  as a diagnostic tool is useless  unless you have an idea what to change or are on the Dyno or driving with the Laptop on the Passengers lap doing the readout. 

I do like the Digital dashes for their ability to Data Log though. Even the Holley dash can provide multiple tunes on the a USB stick that you can download for various conditions and you can set up and run data logs  and playbacks on thew dash - AEM dash has even more -  But you are talking $800-1500  for that a Gauge display

2. The somewhat selfish reason tuners give - Yes you pay for the "tune" you get on the dyno, but not all time they spend  making sure its safe and the base tune they have devised.

I would say you can give 90% of the people a tune to look at and they will not really understand it, its no different than giving a hot rodder a distributor and ask them to curve it. Most know how to set timing but have no idea how to curve a distributor.  Or know how to set jets in a carb or  set the right power valve in holley carb.  If you can;'t do those  basic function you should not be touching EFI SW because the principles are the same - each piece relates directly to the EFI functionality, and EFI has so many more variable, even a couple Lbs for Fuel pressure makes a Huge difference in a tune.

I have always looked at the locked tune like this:  Its like buying a craft beer and saying to the brewer - give me your recipe now, I bought your beer

Whenever I asked a tuner to unlock the tune, they have done it for me.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:51 PM, CBM said:

I think maybe stating using a air temp sensor in the blower so it can read air intake temps and make adjustment to the tune because of the temps may be a more accurate statement. Most of the blowers have a provision. On the Mefi many tuners will tell you they can't get into the computer because they are locked from another tuner. We have all the software needed to get into them. 

Any shops in Arizona that can tune a mefi system that’s been previously tuned by you guys? My car was originally tuned by cbm and is going to need to be tuned before next season for some changes that are being made... 

for me it just nice to have to look at the sensors to make sure they are working I don't know much about the Mefi, but can you use the Mefi scan to see if you have a tps or some kind of sensor going out

on HP tuners kind of nice to manually click on and off fans or look at the sensor readings, or to see if you have a coil misfiring,  on the AEM, it is super easy to adjust cold start or if you have a issue with start up or something else, have sent a file to redline and they send it back within a day or so, depending on issue, 

11 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

Any shops in Arizona that can tune a mefi system that’s been previously tuned by you guys? My car was originally tuned by cbm and is going to need to be tuned before next season for some changes that are being made... 

I believe Arrowlane has the same software to get into all Mefi

12 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

Look up quick500 on the board, he is in Tucson but does a TON of tuning

1 hour ago, 2011BFD said:

Thank you! I pm’d him! 

Posted (edited)

Well I guess my reaction to the locked tune was more of the thought .."what if I want to take my car else where so someone closer who know tuning can retune my car when I do upgrades". I know my place when it comes to tuning these motors Ill leave it to the professionals...im assuming that's why we pay the hefty price to get them tuned ...because these guys know what they are doing.....the last thing im gonna do is change something that I have no clue about..and if im being honest sure its pretty cool to look at but ill be damn if I change any thing that I have no idea about..its just common sense to me..even if the car seems off im not touching nothing ...

oh and FTG ...ill be happy to buy you a couple rounds of that craft  beer . thank you again for your help and info ...just say when ..that being said sure you bought that brewers beer ..but what  if you bought his equipment used to make that tasty custom brew ?

Edited by Twin Turbo Tommy

21 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

Thank you! I pm’d him! 

He is on a cruise until Friday i believe so give him a few days to respond

On 5/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, 2011BFD said:

Quick500 in Tucson does a great job. He is very meticulous about smooth running drivability.  My personal car is very rowdy and he was able to tame it down to be more drivable at low speeds. It is much easier to drive around camp. It still hauls arse and is still very safe on the motor. 

He has the ability to tune numerous types of ECU's including Mefi. 

Posted (edited)

This place did my supercharged mefi tune. They had to fix a few thing but updated me and were just great to work with. That was 5 years seasons ago and it still runs like new.  I was told they were the best in Phoenix at the time. A very impressive operation. I’d recommend them in a heartbeat.  https://automotivediagnosticspecialties.com/hp_customtuning.htm

Edited by stumpalump

21 hours ago, stumpalump said:

This place did my supercharged mefi tune. They had to fix a few thing but updated me and were just great to work with. That was 5 years seasons ago and it still runs like new.  I was told they were the best in Phoenix at the time. A very impressive operation. I’d recommend them in a heartbeat.  https://automotivediagnosticspecialties.com/hp_customtuning.htm

Mind sharing what they charged?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:16 PM, stumpalump said:

I have been using ADS in Chandler for 20 years for all sorts of auto care.  They are a top notch outfit and good bunch of guys.  Devin at ADS can tune any combo on a Mefi.  He has dyno tuned a 440 LS NA, a 3.3L whipple supercharged LS 402, and a Twin Turbo LS 402 for me.  Every car ran fantastic and reliable from just off idle all the way to redline.  He spends alot of time on a loaded mustang dyno to get all sorts of driving conditions down.  Every time my "new to me" sand cars have had a bunch of extra issues, but generally speaking a start from scratch tune is about $1000 or a little more.  

On 5/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Mind sharing what they charged?

Mine was $1000 as well but I brought in a new/used build with a barely running  take out engine with mods. They installed and wired a mefi compatible knock sensor, fixed a non working supercharger bypass valve, and a bunch of little crap like relays  I never knew had problems. Don’t let the 1000 fool you. They know sand cars and will tune it so you don’t blow it up. They said they everybody  loved my car. WTF I paid 10k for the cobbled up junk? They said because all the race and sand cars they work on are worth 1/4 million plus and mine was a working mans car that the employees could afford. Even the manager drove it around their hood to test it. The did it right, it hauls ass and except for a bad injector over the years I have 5 long hard seasons on it.  Take it there. They are straight up guys. It has a great reputation and was full of bad azz sand cars. I don’t know much about other shops but that place blew me away.