Sign in to follow this  
Dunelover

RV A/C problem - HELP

The engine A/C compressor for dash air on my DP seized up.  I'm looking for some feedback on what to expect.

Last season I had a shop replace a leaking hose between the condenser and the compressor.  The system was evacuated and recharged.  everything worked fine then.  However I suspect he didn't add enough oil to compensate for the size of the system and my compressor seized.  Just a guess on my part.  The coach is a 2011.

So... one guy said the Condenser Coil is probably contaminated with debris and will have to  replaced?  I assumed I need  a new dryer but what about the expansion valve and the Evaporator?  Also can they can flush the 40' of hoses.

I want to make sure I'm at least a little knowledgeable before I find a place to bring it in 

So.... yes its a possibility that not enough oil was installed but thats a BIG if- what probably happened was there was another leak and when the system gets low on freon (freon carries the oil to all components) the compressor starved for oil and caused it to lock up- just like running an engine low on oil or out of oil- So expect to replace, compressor, condensor (unless it can be flushed), expansion valve or orifice tube.  and yes they should be able to flush the evaporator and all the hoses. Just research a shop with a good reputation and a good warranty- I come from the automotive repair side and our warranties are standard for 2 years or 24k miles- I dont know on rv or DP warranties though...

If its a ford or freightliner and you can't get help from the previous mechanic.

i will gladly help you out

Transwest Truck center in fontana, we are a ford, freightliner, cat, cummins, detroit and Onan dealer, winnebago, and renegade dealer. not plugging my dealer just offering help to a fellow duner.

ill take care of you. 

let me know

chris

Thanks Chris, 

I talked to the Cummins repair center in Downey and they wouldn't touch it.  That got me a little concerned.

MH is a 2011 Newmar with an ISX on a Spartan K3 chassis

Does your facility  (and I'm assuming so since you commented) do AC service?

Rick 

dam, spartan is the kicker

i dont have any diagrams if there are any issues, since we are a freightliner dealer.

near me i would recommend colton in colton

they are a very popular spartan chassis center.

Posted (edited)

If the compressor catastrophically seized in one instant it may not have contaminated the hoses and condenser however, if it began to fail over time yes there is likely debris in the hoses and condenser. Personally I wouldn't try to clean the hoses, small particles of metal will cling to the rubber and you will never get all of it out especially 40' of it. I would recommend replacing the compressor, hoses, condenser and dessicant if it has one. I would also suggest installing a screen on the suction port of the new compressor. Any shop that does AC work should have a kit with all of the sizes of screens. And as mentioned already make sure the correct amount of oil is put back in. 

I would replace the drive belt and tensioner while the tech has the compressor off. And even the idler pulleys and fan mount depending on configuration. 

In the GM world I work in it is never acceptable to reuse a rubber hose which has carried metal contaminated fluids or refrigerants. Even when we have a dry sump engine failure, we have to replace the hoses. 

Might have to call your local Newmar dealer and ask them for a recommendation for a Spartan service center. 

Edited by fortyfour

Posted (edited)

I don't know exactly when it failed.  My wife was walking around the back of the couch and noticed the shredded belt hanging out the bottom of the couch.  

Crap... My local Newmar dealer is in Palm Desert.

Edited by Dunelover

colton in colton

Heard nothing but good things about this shop

👍

Thanks

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

colton in colton

Heard nothing but good things about this shop

Colton Truck Terminal Garage. 

Edited by evantwheeler

The dash air in my Tuscany works very good.

I have nothing to add of value.  When I bought my coach they told me the dash ac didn’t work.  Turns out they just didn’t want to fix it.  Shop wanted $1000 to remove the dash and replace the fan.  $18 fan from Napa and a hole in my dash later....

Now I will have a nice magazine/key holder rack where the hole is to cover it and easy access to anything inside there.  

4462129E-2566-4464-991A-28AA35F389C7.jpeg

D1CA8B0C-D046-4681-9F11-DD638D812E35.jpeg

54C10F80-6AC2-44DE-99C0-8FC4BF4F05F1.jpeg

A5B48A7D-5849-4AD6-8A27-4E403E3263C3.jpeg

29EF6440-8587-4858-A735-79ADFBA8C732.jpeg

Boy that first cut thru the upholstery would have made me cringe...

But $1000 for dash removal; Ouch