Jonesin'

New or “freshened” 2d?

Would a new 2d be better than a “freshened up” trans? I know it’s about a $2,000 price difference but, is a new one better?

How's your luck at gambling?

It all depends on the used "freshened up" transmission VS. new

I’m not sure what freshen up consists of? Also does new come with a warranty? 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jonesin' said:

I’m not sure what freshen up consists of? Also does new come with a warranty? 🤷🏻‍♂️

no they do not come with warranty,  so if you do not get it in gear all the way and drop the clutch and slide a fork than it is back to the trans shop, each builder does there own thing, some save money by using budget parts some weld shift forks and use special bearings or nose cones,

i  don't  think i would by a used trans of any kind unless i picked it up in person from a very short list of reputable shops. that would be the time to put that question to them- in what way a newer design was different, what changes had been made to the used one, etc. just me, but i've been caught having less knowledge  than  i  thought i had before

Warranty? Unfortunately, no. Not even on a new one. I had plans to buy a brand new 2D, then thought about it and changed direction and bought an HV24 instead. The 11" clutch and Chevy bellhousing were a little more money, but the trans itself was only about $1500 more. A no brainer for what I wanted to do with it. If your budget dictates a 2D I think you will be able to find a decent used trans that has just been rebuilt, I wouldn't be scared to go this route. 

If it was freshend up by a reputable builder, it should be as good as new. Any reputable builder will not put back in worn parts. I would make sure to get receipts supporting the “freshening” up to see all that was done. 

I would definitely need a receipt.

20 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Warranty? Unfortunately, no. Not even on a new one. I had plans to buy a brand new 2D, then thought about it and changed direction and bought an HV24 instead. The 11" clutch and Chevy bellhousing were a little more money, but the trans itself was only about $1500 more. A no brainer for what I wanted to do with it. If your budget dictates a 2D I think you will be able to find a decent used trans that has just been rebuilt, I wouldn't be scared to go this route. 

I was looking into the HV series too but, my chassis isn’t big enough with my LS...

I have a used 2d and PBS cable shifter for sale. Wright went through it in Nov of '18. New R&P. Only a couple trips on it since. $6k.

1 minute ago, cwarkenton said:

I have a used 2d and PBS cable shifter for sale. Wright went through it in Nov of '18. New R&P. Only a couple trips on it since. $6k.

PM me and we can chat

11 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

PM me and we can chat

PM sent 

Posted (edited)

My experience is similar to recommendations above. Freshened up is fine from a good shop where you can see the receipt and talk to the builder from the shop.  If not walk away unless its sold at "parts price"

Being carefiul can save you money, new on a 2D can be 2-3K higher than used, and in the case of a 2D is going to have wear and go back to a shop after some time whether new or refreshed. I personally always send the trans out if I sell one and will usually have the person pick it up from the shop so they can see who built it...

Edited by fullthrottleguy

Be sure the gear ratios are what you want too - if you go the freshened up route. I have before and have no problems.

for me when I sell a 2D I sell it as used not sure condition, if it has oil in it, it is used, one trip means used,

when I sell a Fresh trans, I send pictures, of the parts apart, list of parts and the age of the parts that are new and used, and sell it with no oil

Sounds good. What is a good ratio for a stock LS that I’ll road drive sometimes?

What about the case fatigue if a ring and pinion let go. Ive heard that once a major break happens it can stress the case. Just a question because im going to be in the same boat during my summer upgrade. I think for $1500 to $2000 more you also get new deco case that has never been stress.

4 hours ago, danbalz said:

I think for $1500 to $2000 more you also get new deco case that has never been stress.

What is a deco case?

the newest version, a little thicker a little heavier a few more ribs and a few extra bolts that go through the center section if I remember correctly. I want to put one in this summer to but thinking of going with a 5-speed for hardpack use.

Are Deco case common?

As stated above. " Fresh" is fresh if and only if it has not been used at all after a reputable builder had it apart. 

I will not sell a transaxle or sell one for somebody else unless it has been cracked open by a builder and given good report or fixed until then. I have seen way too many times a "fresh" with only 2 trips transaxle let go on the very first trip for a new owner. It really isn't worth the $500 in labor to not crack it open. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2019 at 9:20 AM, matt86m said:

Be sure the gear ratios are what you want too - if you go the freshened up route. I have before and have no problems.

Yup this is the one thing to take into consideration when buying used. I purchased my 2D from a guy and I was worried. He gave me the phone number to the builder and he confirmed it was all good and ready to go.  I felt more comfortable after that my trans works great; Just as he promised. But my gears are too tall. The trans was geared for a V8 not V6. I guess I need to upgrade to a V8. If could do it again I spend try to get a HV2 for a full reverse.  

Edited by jhuerta

deco case image.jpeg.84397bb15f557bca29185b77f10747f5.jpeg

Thanks guys! I don’t think I have the room for a Weddle trans. I will be running an LS. So, what gearing is good?

6 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

Thanks guys! I don’t think I have the room for a Weddle trans. I will be running an LS. So, what gearing is good?

Best way IMO to calculate your perfect gear ratios is ask a reputable builder - he/she will ask good questions  that relate to your power. tire size and driving habits... or you can try this

https://weddleindustries.com/gear-calculator