Jonesin'

New or “freshened” 2d?

Call Dan Baudoux for ratios you will need.

Ratios are partially opinion too.  If you're a "cruise in 3rd" duner, you're going to have a very different opinion of perfect ratios than the guy ripping around and knows exactly what the rev limiter sounds like. :bigrin 

Ratios should be set up to dune in 3rd especially a 2D. They should stay out of 2nd as much as possible. Don't gear it to go 120mph. Most people gear theirs way too high. Most people don't go 100mph and if so they don't stay there very long. A higher ratio R&P will be stronger but will require lower stacks that make them weaker. 

Talk to the Weddle boys or any reputable builder that has a lot of sand experience.  The dirt guys gear much different. 

I’ll need 55-60 mph for road driving when I’m not in the sand

Posted (edited)

My car is V8 powered and I only use it in the dunes. We didn't need to be able to drive it faster than 60 or so as we had no desire to go 100. We had Bill at AZT choose our ratios according to the 40 years of trans building experience he had. He set ours up with a 5.14 r+p with 3.11 2.08 1.56 1.18 gearing. We use 33 blasters. In the dunes we use 2nd 3rd and 4th routinely. Going down the sand highway at 60mph we are spinning about 3500-4000. Again we have no desire to go any faster. It is a sand car and that is how we use it. This info might give you some insight to gear ratios. Your gear ratios vs speed  will all revolve around what ratio the r+p is so keep that in mind. 

IMO I think the top speed vs gear ratio calculators are not a realistic way to choose ratios, not because they aren't accurate but because of how often anyone ever runs their engines at the rev limiter. Any trans builder usually has a good combination already figured out that allows a car to be used under a variety of terrains. I wouldn't choose a particular ratio for 4th just because it will allow you to drive at 100 mph, chances are you won't be using you car at 6500 rpm for more than a few brief moments at a time if at all. Choose your ratios based on what it will take to keep your engine in it's powerband, for a typical LS based engine in sand car trim that's from 2000-4500 rpm +/- of course. 

Also keep in mind how much fuel a V8 uses when running balls out at high speeds. I know that our 11 or 12  gallon fuel tank won't let us do speed runs for any considerable distance and still get us back to camp. haha

Edited by fortyfour

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fortyfour said:

My car is V8 powered and I only use it in the dunes. We didn't need to be able to drive it faster than 60 or so as we had no desire to go 100. We had Bill at AZT choose our ratios according to the 40 years of trans building experience he had. He set ours up with a 5.14 r+p with 3.11 2.08 1.56 1.18 gearing. We use 33 blasters. In the dunes we use 2nd 3rd and 4th routinely. Going down the sand highway at 60mph we are spinning about 3500-4000. Again we have no desire to go any faster. It is a sand car and that is how we use it. This info might give you some insight to gear ratios. Your gear ratios vs speed  will all revolve around what ratio the r+p is so keep that in mind. 

IMO I think the top speed vs gear ratio calculators are not a realistic way to choose ratios, not because they aren't accurate but because of how often anyone ever runs their engines at the rev limiter. Any trans builder usually has a good combination already figured out that allows a car to be used under a variety of terrains. I wouldn't choose a particular ratio for 4th just because it will allow you to drive at 100 mph, chances are you won't be using you car at 6500 rpm for more than a few brief moments at a time if at all. Choose your ratios based on what it will take to keep your engine in it's powerband, for a typical LS based engine in sand car trim that's from 2000-4500 rpm +/- of course. 

Also keep in mind how much fuel a V8 uses when running balls out at high speeds. I know that our 11 or 12  gallon fuel tank won't let us do speed runs for any considerable distance and still get us back to camp. haha

Well said, finally! I could care less to break 100mph! I stay in the dunes. I'm duning in 3rd all day long with the occasional downshift to dip in and out of a hole. 

Edited to add: sorry went off topic here so, back we go. I bought my 2d used, came off a similar engine and was told it was freshened up a couple seasons ago. It came off a car that was being upgraded and flipped. Actually bought a lot of his stuff and it all worked perfectly. I even got a reverse that I've pounded on when rookie stuck hahaa. Paid 5k and that's just going rate. Risk, sure but I'm po' folk and sometimes that's just how I roll. 

Edited by Chingon619

6 hours ago, fortyfour said:

Thanks for the info! I’m not a “road cruiser” either. I took my old beam car to work a few times. I’m 5 miles from work and 3 of those miles are 50mph. This is the only reason I ask.