Sign in to follow this  
stumpalump

Air filter cleaning trick

I use the same AFE 7 stage oiled gauze filter for 5 seasons now. Same as the CBM filters from what I can tell. Great filters! I clean it the recommended way or with K&N soap and the garden hose. That does a good job. After a few years it seemed like some of the compacted dirt was staying in the filter then I heard to use clothes detergent like Tide. I mix up warm water in the laundry sink and an unbelievable amount of extra trapped dirt came out. I do this every time now and no matter how well I clean it with the K&N cleaner spray I still get a lot more dirt out of it. Clothes detergent is made for cotton clothes and these filters are 5 stages of cotton and two of synthetic so it cleans them like magic. Here is my sink after cleaning it a second time with Tide. Yours will be worse if it’s the first time. White sheet of paper was held up for color reference. 5749CAE7-2428-4E92-83BD-F4AD96A035FE.thumb.jpeg.4c7923614d575fee56014e6e019f029e.jpegDBC5A5ED-68A5-4610-9E42-E15451BD3F4C.thumb.jpeg.19bd182b2e0da33421389c229f620f52.jpeg

Dawn dish soap or simple Green works similar, that's what I be usin!

Just let it soak and washout from the inside?  Are you still using the k&n or simple green as the first step and the detergent as the final “polish”?  Will have to try this on my CBM filters.  

Thanks

I spray simple green on the inside and outside of the filters let it sit for 5 minutes then sprayed off with water. fill a small plastic bucket with some warm water and a little bit of Dawn and then I plunge it in and out of the bucket a few times then rinse with fresh water, air dry then oil and reinstall on car, I have the matching CBM outerwears as well

Have been using dish soap and hot water all this last season.

Works much better than the K&N cleaner ever did.

I have all CBM stuff.

I soak mine in a 5 gallon bucket with laundry detergent and hot water for a few hours,  comes out alot cleaner than any spray on product

Simple green.  Been using it for years with no issues.

Tide and hot water. works great.

On 4/22/2019 at 6:40 PM, evantwheeler said:

Just let it soak and washout from the inside?  Are you still using the k&n or simple green as the first step and the detergent as the final “polish”?  Will have to try this on my CBM filters.  

Thanks

I still use the K&N or AFE spray first to clean the majority of dirt.  Definitely rinse only from the inside. I will caution on some other soaps because if they are the kind that leave your dissolved skin slippery then it eats the cotton. Westlys Bleach White tire cleaner and some of the purple cleaners are too harsh. They will eat holes in the cotton gauze. Ask me how I know.... I guess you could spray it on a cotton ball and see what it does if you are not sure.  And yes the warm water and Tide is a final “polish”.  Get it bone dry, oil it up, let it sit 24 hours if you have a MAF sensor and go.  FWIW I hear you can use auto transmission fluid in a pinch. K&N oil is vegetables base, will biodegrade over time and is prone to fouling MAF sensors. AFE oil is synthetic oil and does not migrate to the sensor as bad but I think the trick with either is spraying the oil and letting the solvents that are in them dry overnight before you use it.

I like to soak mine in soap and water for a while, plunge it a few times then take it to the sink and rinse from the inside out. I let the water run down the outside after I rinse the last of the sand from the inside and let it sit overnight. When I oil them I usually leave a gap in between sprays so that it has room to soak and not overload the filter with oil

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, stumpalump said:

I still use the K&N or AFE spray first to clean the majority of dirt.  Definitely rinse only from the inside. I will caution on some other soaps because if they are the kind that leave your dissolved skin slippery then it eats the cotton. Westlys Bleach White tire cleaner and some of the purple cleaners are too harsh. They will eat holes in the cotton gauze. Ask me how I know.... I guess you could spray it on a cotton ball and see what it does if you are not sure.  And yes the warm water and Tide is a final “polish”.  Get it bone dry, oil it up, let it sit 24 hours if you have a MAF sensor and go.  FWIW I hear you can use auto transmission fluid in a pinch. K&N oil is vegetables base, will biodegrade over time and is prone to fouling MAF sensors. AFE oil is synthetic oil and does not migrate to the sensor as bad but I think the trick with either is spraying the oil and letting the solvents that are in them dry overnight before you use it.

for what the filter does and the price of them from CBM, I just throw mine away and purchase a new one with Bruce, I have cleaned them and seems that when they are new they work great, at the end of year I throw or give mine away and replace it with a new one,

I kind of relate it to a new T shirt, the shirt is great until I wash mine then it just never feels the same,

Edited by J Alper

Posted (edited)

Good advise right there, really like Bruces Filters have use them allot in the past

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, CBM said:

I like to soak mine in soap and water for a while, plunge it a few times then take it to the sink and rinse from the inside out. I let the water run down the outside after I rinse the last of the sand from the inside and let it sit overnight. When I oil them I usually leave a gap in between sprays so that it has room to soak and not overload the filter with oil

Edited by J Alper

I throw it in the gutter and go buy anutter :thumbup:

1 hour ago, raspadoo said:

I throw it in the gutter and go buy anutter :thumbup:

NWA Rules!!!!!!

Yo  Easy, Easy does it