they just modify them a little

and they weld two studs on they’re frame for mounting 

I have a couple of you want one  I’ll even  modify it for you 

..... john 

:clap1:  Things like THIS!!!   :thumbup:

There is this option as well

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, spize909 said:

I have one of the fold up shovels in my tool bag. The beauty of it is that you can lock it into a 90 degree angle and just pull the sand like a hoe. I always thought if someone in the group had one of the exhaust bags it would be a handy tool to have. Not sure I have the room for it.

As for bumping out in reverse..........I tried that last year while stuck in a small bit of flat very soft sand at the bottom of a small dune (had to make a quick stop to avoid a kid on a quad). One bum and blew me right out of reverse. Never again.

Blew up reverse, or it popped out?

For in-vehicle use (out in the dunes), I'm just going to grab a scissor jack from some truck at the Junkyard, weld a plate on the bottom and a tube/cup on top, kind of like this:

20170206_151336-jpg.95420

Can't be much more than 15lbs all said and done, and you can deploy the jack to secure it in place on the buggy.  

Edited by Rockwood

42 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

For in-vehicle use (out in the dunes), I'm just going to grab a scissor jack from some truck at the Junkyard, weld a plate on the bottom and a tube/cup on top, kind of like this:

Can't be much more than 15lbs all said and done, and you can deploy the jack to secure it in place on the buggy.  

I bought a bottle jack from a junkyard for $10 and had Dustin at AG Sandcars weld on a U shaped saddle to the top and a bolt with a 3/4" head on the crank part for $5. It's just short enough to fit under the front or rear arms with a flat tire, or I can put blocks under it for added height. I just put a cordless impact on it and it zips the car up in seconds. It's nice and compact but I stopped carrying it after a couple of yrs because I just never used it. I've never broken a suspension part, rarely get stuck and with beadlocks, never blew a bead, so I leave it at camp as a backup to my sandjack.

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Hondo said:

20180205_124743.thumb.jpg.4f75ff6c79086e0ff6ef79fed8c4e8c8.jpg20180205_124936.thumb.jpg.df6a97a92d8502cb7a05c6b976ee6c44.jpg20180225_170547.thumb.jpg.e341e49ad4966f5d306c94509f64571e.jpg

we have used this to rebuild the front end of a lawndarted car up on top of Buttercup Hill. They slid around very easy on the sand and stay stable. They don't require blocks.  

This is what I did and it works great, 

have had the car sunk,  and it picked up the car in stages and drove it out no issues, 

the one we build has a attachment so it can be flat like a normal jack and then can add extensions, so you can get it higher and higher, 

Edited by J Alper

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Popped out. It was our last trip last year. 

12 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Popped out. It was our last trip last year. 

Shit’ll be fiiiiiine

33 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Shit’ll be fiiiiiine

been fine all season

On April 24, 2019 at 9:30 AM, Hondo said:

20180205_124743.thumb.jpg.4f75ff6c79086e0ff6ef79fed8c4e8c8.jpg20180205_124936.thumb.jpg.df6a97a92d8502cb7a05c6b976ee6c44.jpg20180225_170547.thumb.jpg.e341e49ad4966f5d306c94509f64571e.jpg

we have used this to rebuild the front end of a lawndarted car up on top of Buttercup Hill. They slid around very easy on the sand and stay stable. They don't require blocks.  

Hondo, is this skid plate something you made? Or can it be purchased somewhere?

11 minutes ago, Cduner said:

Hondo, is this skid plate something you made? Or can it be purchased somewhere?

Yes we make the skid plate and the riser. The skid plate is 3/16" aluminum plate with sides welded on that bolt to the side f the Jack in existing holes. 

On 4/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, Air450 said:

Have used these for years and saved many a bacon.   Best thing is to get the air valve conversion and a small air pump. Only takes about 10psi to lift a rail

I used a hilift jack in one of the bowls behind olds worked great 

44325503-BA8F-4E48-8C97-72A9AF438039.jpeg

AE1D175A-686B-451C-9014-FCEE894C4B5A.jpeg

On 4/24/2019 at 5:44 PM, john a1 said:

Hello J 

my buddy uses an  old bumper jack

they just modify them a little

and they weld two studs on they’re frame for mounting 

I have a couple of you want one  I’ll even  modify it for you 

..... john 

This is what I use.  ORW used to sell them for $50.  It's from an old Cadi or Olds or something.  I drilled two holes in it and found some aluminum tubing mounts from McMaster Car and bolted it to my roof rack.   I used bolts with 3/4" heads so they are the same size as the lug nuts.  I made a custom foot plate out of 1/4" aluminum for the sand.   Haven't tried it in deep sand yet.  It might sink a little but good enough get get the car up a little at a time and fill the sand in under the tire.   

~jw

My buddy Greg at Desolate Motorsports came up with this...

https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop/accessories/haul-master-scissor-lift-kit/

I’ll be getting one for the buggy. Haven’t decided where to mount it. I might wait until I do a roof rack or find a place that’s out of sight but easy to get to.

31 minutes ago, cali kid said:

My buddy Greg at Desolate Motorsports came up with this...

https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop/accessories/haul-master-scissor-lift-kit/

I’ll be getting one for the buggy. Haven’t decided where to mount it. I might wait until I do a roof rack or find a place that’s out of sight but easy to get to.

Nice!  Scissor jack is the best combo of simplicity and weight, which is probably why every car out there has one...

I don't carry a jack. But if I did it would be a hi-lift. I use a lifted floor jack at camp to change tires. The hi-lift give you more options to get the car high up in the air. The long travel cars you have to lift about 2-3 feet to get the suspension extended and then the tires out of the hole. A floor jack doesn't have that kind of travel.

Plus the hi lift jack you can move the car sides ways, jack it up, the push the car off the jack.

I mostly use the starter bumping. The key to starter bump is not getting the car dug deep. As soon as the car stops moving put the clutch in. Get the kids and you out of the car and walk it out in reverse from the outside the car. 

6 minutes ago, steinberg55 said:

I don't carry a jack. But if I did it would be a hi-lift. I use a lifted floor jack at camp to change tires. The hi-lift give you more options to get the car high up in the air. The long travel cars you have to lift about 2-3 feet to get the suspension extended and then the tires out of the hole. A floor jack doesn't have that kind of travel.

Plus the hi lift jack you can move the car sides ways, jack it up, the push the car off the jack.

I mostly use the starter bumping. The key to starter bump is not getting the car dug deep. As soon as the car stops moving put the clutch in. Get the kids and you out of the car and walk it out in reverse from the outside the car. 

I’ll put the jack under the arms so I won’t have to droop out the suspension.

I found these online out of south Africa.   getting a quote for one here.  Nicest air jack I have ever seen check the youtube video out.  I will post prices if we want a group buy.  I ask for pricing on one and ten  http://www.takla.co.za/products/takla-air-jacks/

9 hours ago, Squatcher said:

I found these online out of south Africa.   getting a quote for one here.  Nicest air jack I have ever seen check the youtube video out.  I will post prices if we want a group buy.  I ask for pricing on one and ten  http://www.takla.co.za/products/takla-air-jacks/

Wow that was nice one.