jhuerta

Best Jack to lift sandrail in the Dunes

Hello All,

So I went out with my to kids this weekend to Glamis for Easter weekend and it happen that on Thursday I got stuck on the back side of Olds with my sandrail. I was worried because it was just us three a 11 and 15 year old and my group was not coming in until Thursday night.  Two jeeps happened to come across and they helped me. What a relief that was.  I didn't realize at the time that the sand was really soft and that since my trans gearing is too tall I had to be in first gear and pretty much on the gas. At that point I wish I had a jack on the sandcar.  So I want to ask if you guys recommend one that works well. I was thinking of a Hi-Lift jack since it has some good options and some MaxTrax  boards to help me next time.

What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance.

Most guys don't need or use a jack in the sand.

Depending on how you got stuck, you can tip the rail toward one side with your hands and push the sand under the tires, or use another rail to pull the car up on one side and push sand under the tires. If you're facing uphill, simply lift the front end of the rail and point it downhill or at least sideways.

Once you get back up on top of the sand, you can put it in 1st, leave the engine off and just bump the starter and it will walk itself right out of the rut. This will also work in reverse, but a lot of people are afraid of breakage even though more experienced duners have told me it's safe. They say the starter doesn't have enough power to break reverse. 

Thanks socaldmax . Yeah I did the bump the starter in reverse and that did the job for a few inches but then I did a wussy back-out and got stuck again.  The issue was it was just us three and I hate to rely on anyone although I know most folks will help as they all did. I would just like to be prepared if its us three again. 

Dig, dig and dig some more. A small shovel would be easier to carry compared to a floor jack. But if you're set on a hi lift jack I have one I'll give you.

3 minutes ago, jhuerta said:

Thanks socaldmax . Yeah I did the bump the starter in reverse and that did the job for a few inches but then I did a wussy back-out and got stuck again.  The issue was it was just us three and I hate to rely on anyone although I know most folks will help as they all did. I would just like to be prepared if its us three again. 

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. I once got stuck way down south near the old closure area, in a choppy area where the "dunes" were only 18 - 25' apart and my rail was 16'. We were trying to power through these powder soft ridges, essentially row after row of witches eyes. I finally ended up in one on a ridge that I was wedged into with all 4 tires off the ground, the sand was holding me up by the rear of the engine cage and front bumper. My GF at the time got up on the ridge and looked all over and spotted a group of probably 7 or 8 quad riders headed in our general direction.

She kept waving at them and they eventually got closer, but thought it was some sort of a trap so they kept circling around, checking us out to make sure there wasn't a group of us to ambush them. After convincing themselves we really were stuck, they came over and helped lift the front end and turn the rail 90* sso we could just drive it out. I gave them over a half a case of beer as thanks.

The other option in that situation where we were way off the beaten path was to dig out forward. The trench I was in had about 3 or 4 ft of sand in front of my bumper then it dropped down maybe 10' or so. I could have dug from the slope in front of the rail and eventually removed the ridge holding up the front of my rail. In a case like that, you want to make sure the rail is in gear so it doesn't roll forward and run over you, or roll away.

There's nothing like getting run over by your own rail way out there past BFE to complete your day and make you feel like a total idiot. Guys who do stuff like that should always have a video cam on them at all times so we can enjoy the fun too!

:lol: 

Speaking of shovels, I just bought one for car camping that was dirt cheap ($8.74, free SH) folds up and is the size of a paper plate when stowed in it's carrying bag. It's a cheap (but works perfectly) copy of the military folding shovel/entrenching tool.

Everyone should have a shovel, extra water, extra food, a radio and/or cell phone, first aid kit plus blood clotting powder, in case someone's bleeding but it will be awhile before they can get sutures. Spare parts, tools, etc. An ounce of prevention or preparedness beats a pound of cure! Like they say, it's better to have and not need than need and not have!

I rolled my rail late last season blowing all 4 beads.  The guys that we met earlier in the day had one of the exhaust jacks and it was easy to get the car up and get the tires back on the beads.  I am wanting to get one for sure.  I have been looking at this one to get for next season.  There is other brands that are better but figured if it saves my bacon once it will be worth it.

Pre-Eagle makes a pretty slick jack that we use on the race car.

2 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Most guys don't need or use a jack in the sand.

Depending on how you got stuck, you can tip the rail toward one side with your hands and push the sand under the tires, or use another rail to pull the car up on one side and push sand under the tires. If you're facing uphill, simply lift the front end of the rail and point it downhill or at least sideways.

Once you get back up on top of the sand, you can put it in 1st, leave the engine off and just bump the starter and it will walk itself right out of the rut. This will also work in reverse, but a lot of people are afraid of breakage even though more experienced duners have told me it's safe. They say the starter doesn't have enough power to break reverse. 

not true.. i have seen a guy do that and he broke reverse 

I have an exhaust jack.  Works great.  Bought it years ago.  Best to learn how to use it while your not stuck though.  You can lift a car stuck in the sand with ease. 

Small shovel is nice to have in that  situation.I got stuck years ago on a evening ride by my self.I ended up digging by hand to clear tires even aired the rears down some then put in reverse hit starter and pushed at same time car came right out took it easy back to camp knowing i was lower on air too.,

I have one of the fold up shovels in my tool bag. The beauty of it is that you can lock it into a 90 degree angle and just pull the sand like a hoe. I always thought if someone in the group had one of the exhaust bags it would be a handy tool to have. Not sure I have the room for it.

As for bumping out in reverse..........I tried that last year while stuck in a small bit of flat very soft sand at the bottom of a small dune (had to make a quick stop to avoid a kid on a quad). One bum and blew me right out of reverse. Never again.

ive used a hilift  jack a few time they do work great but they are big and bulky. i have a short version with a bar mount on the sxs. on the rail if you get stuck you can put the jack right in the center of the wheel and lift the wheel right out of the hole. rap a rag around the lifting pad to protect the wheel and a pice of wood would help with the jack sinking in the sand but it is not totally required. i only got stuck in the dunes twice many years ago once with out a jack and once with the first time it took a few hours and the second time i was un stuck in just a few minutes. also used it to do some repairs had to change a tire once out in a bowl worked fine for that to. keep some wd40 around cause the ratcheting like to stick with sand stuck in it.

I carry one of these on my roof rack and it has been used many times in both the desert and glamis helping with breakdowns and tire changes.  Was much lower cost when I purchased it at sand show.

https://www.radflo.com/i-104-hydra-jac-lightweight-racing-jack.html

17 hours ago, Blacklisted said:

I rolled my rail late last season blowing all 4 beads.  The guys that we met earlier in the day had one of the exhaust jacks and it was easy to get the car up and get the tires back on the beads.  I am wanting to get one for sure.  I have been looking at this one to get for next season.  There is other brands that are better but figured if it saves my bacon once it will be worth it.

I got an exhaust jack on amazon and we tried to use it with no successes in the dunes. We did find the exhaust broken on the car we used after we got back to camp but we were not sure if it was broken when we tried to lift the car up. That may have been the problem and why I want to try it at home.Mine also has an air schrader so I could always pump it up with my compressor in the car. 

These look bad ass. Just a little pricey

https://allgermanmotorsports.com/the-electric-jack

20180205_124743.thumb.jpg.4f75ff6c79086e0ff6ef79fed8c4e8c8.jpg20180205_124936.thumb.jpg.df6a97a92d8502cb7a05c6b976ee6c44.jpg20180225_170547.thumb.jpg.e341e49ad4966f5d306c94509f64571e.jpg

we have used this to rebuild the front end of a lawndarted car up on top of Buttercup Hill. They slid around very easy on the sand and stay stable. They don't require blocks.  

57 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

These look bad ass. Just a little pricey

https://allgermanmotorsports.com/the-electric-jack

Build your own:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Linear-Actuators/?page_no=1&page_length=9999

Thanks Guys. I going to look into all of these. 

43 minutes ago, Romans9 said:

Interesting....

Posted (edited)

Having the emergency kit is always a great thing, but there seems to be something even more important missing in this thread.  Where was your buddy?!?!?!  Just seems a bit dodgy to be alone in the deep dunes (with your kids) and no riding partner.

Edited by PoppaWillie
Remove quote

Hello J 

my buddy uses an  old bumper jack

they just modify them a little

and they weld two studs on they’re frame for mounting 

I have a couple of you want one  I’ll even  modify it for you 

..... john 

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2019 at 10:36 AM, PoppaWillie said:

Having the emergency kit is always a great thing, but there seems to be something even more important missing in this thread.  Where was your buddy?!?!?!  Just seems a bit dodgy to be alone in the deep dunes (with your kids) and no riding partner.

I hear you. Most of my buddies dont come as early as I do and I try to make the best of the trip for my kids.  I hate to come out here an stay in camp.  I can honestly just be out all day long.  After that incident I did stay on sand highway and the road to olds until the rest of the group came out.  But I there has been times when my group leaves the day after i arrive or times when they don't want to come out.  If my kids want to roll with me then we are going.  I just like to be prepared that is all. 

Edited by jhuerta

14 hours ago, john a1 said:

Hello J 

my buddy uses an  old bumper jack

they just modify them a little

and they weld two studs on they’re frame for mounting 

I have a couple of you want one  I’ll even  modify it for you 

..... john 

Hello John,

I would really appreciate it. I will send you a PM.