jhuerta

Best Jack to lift sandrail in the Dunes

After breaking my stub axle on Thanksgiving  saw this and stepped it up a bit. Harbor freight 3500 lb tounge jack. 28 inch throw. Plus adjustable bottom. Going in car.

20191225_215727.jpg

20191225_215751.jpg

20191225_215915.jpg

Edited by danbalz

If you cut the handle off, weld on a bolt with a 3/4" head and you can use an impact to run it up and down instead of cranking your arm off.

41 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

If you cut the handle off, weld on a bolt with a 3/4" head and you can use an impact to run it up and down instead of cranking your arm off.

Nice choice: 3/4” is the same as a 1/2” bolt, which is everywhere on a buggy, so everyone should at least have an end wrench in their tool bag. 

Edited by Rockwood

9 hours ago, danbalz said:

After breaking my stub axle on Thanksgiving  saw this and stepped it up a bit. Harbor freight 3500 lb tounge jack. 28 inch throw. Plus adjustable bottom. Going in car.

20191225_215727.jpg

The idea is evolving as it should be! Nice modification. 

9 hours ago, socaldmax said:

I dont carry an impact with me in dunes so handle is staying.

22 minutes ago, danbalz said:

I dont carry an impact with me in dunes so handle is staying.

How did you get the wheel off?

Probably with a ratchet, extension, and socket..

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Nice choice: 3/4” is the same as a 1/2” bolt, which is everywhere on a buggy, so everyone should at least have an end wrench in their tool bag. 

I've mentioned it in a couple of other jack threads - I bought a used GM truck bottle jack from a junkyard for $10. It's compact, yet telescopes to a pretty good height, enough to get the tires out of the sand. I took it to a welder who add a U saddle to the top and welded a 1/2" bolt to the piece where you'd normally attach the handle, for $5. 

This gives me a very compact, tall jack that can fit in a tool bag and cranks up very quickly with the same cordless impact I carry to remove or tighten lug nuts. I've had to use the impact more often than the jack, once in a while someone has left camp and forgot to tighten their lug nuts after swapping tires, it comes in really handy! 

I also use it every trip to make rear tire swapping much faster and easier.

Edited by socaldmax

8 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Probably with a ratchet, extension, and socket..

I thought we were evolving better ideas here?

I keep breaker bar with socket and extension in car. would be real slow with breaker bar.  I like this set up because I can lift from very low 6 inchs to very high at least 4 feet by raising pin in lower riser. 

Damn. Why did it take me so long to open this thread. Here I thought I don't have Jack problems but you guys quickly put my HF 3 ton with 4x4 blocks to shame. Damn buncha geniuses!

Finished my mounting. Added old skidplate I've horded for many years. (Knew I could use that someday).

20191229_155347.jpg

20191229_144028.jpg

Would you be able to weld the 3/4 inch socket to the handle to the part that goes straight into the jack?  That way you can use the handle or the socket. Seems handle is long so if you use a impact  with extension the handle won't hit you. 

Maybe the handle can't be welded to. Just a thought.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, sinverguenza said:

Would you be able to weld the 3/4 inch socket to the handle to the part that goes straight into the jack?  That way you can use the handle or the socket. Seems handle is long so if you use a impact  with extension the handle won't hit you. 

Maybe the handle can't be welded to. Just a thought.

STAND CLEAR! Lol. Imagine catching that handle on the chin at full chooch... :bigrin 

If it’s anything like my tongue jack, it’d probably take more time to get the tools than to just jack it up. :bigrin 

These things work great! Lift the whole back end no problem. Light weight to.

81C65D9E-3A77-4579-A8FC-EB3DD5CD999A.thumb.jpeg.1393c871c5ce007db7ce0574331b6331.jpeg9850FC61-1695-4BC3-9F2D-64FDD129FB64.thumb.jpeg.f209196cd1b5f037ef9461920d1790d7.jpegE0D39E5A-BC1D-458E-AE9F-756B3EA00D77.thumb.jpeg.0d60ebf0a3a641185cc06e5f27618009.jpeg