stumpalump

King top out bumper/shock spacer

Technically I need a 3/16” longer shock spacer in my 2.5 king coil over to keep the axle C-clips and CV’s happy. Thats the spacer inside the shock that controls the amount of droop. I was thinking of adding a stock king bottom out bumper inside the shock to use as an additional spacer with the benefits of being a top out bumper. Some shocks have a top out bumper so when the shock tops out at full droop it cushions that clunk. Good idea or bad and will it work?

599EBFC1-AB05-4126-98FE-DCC1B47C464B.thumb.jpeg.dbf3a4e95df4887ad566ad12513ad5fc.jpeg

There is no way this has not been tried or thought of....The stock bottom out bumpers have a steel washer built in for strength and it fits absolutely perfect. Opinions?  Yeah or Neigh?  

E4DD0662-102A-4818-967D-9678CE45AFDF.thumb.jpeg.cddf3fa3097487691c8d1d415ac658c0.jpeg

if it breaks down you could get rubber in shims and piston. might foul things up.

13 minutes ago, danbalz said:

if it breaks down you could get rubber in shims and piston. might foul things up.

Everything you taught me about shocks so far was spot on. Thanks. I thought of that but they  hold up to a major pounding with a compound engineered to resist shock oil.  I’m still going to use my straps but they stretch and this bumper will be more or less at the very last bit of stretch.  Like a last resort before the axels are yanking on the C-clips.  Heck if I can get a confirmation I may even try it without straps. Side by sides do not use straps and neither does Tatum at least on the front. IDK...

Posted (edited)

I think those shims should work just fine for a while until the rubber starts cracking and they come apart. I wouldn't solely rely on them being the fact that they are rubber but they'll work.  When I talked to Brett King at Sand Show he told me to always run limit straps.  I had a Tatum prerunner at the time and asked him about letting the shocks top out like your saying, He told me if it were mine I'd have limit straps on it, the internals will eventually get beat up. I went home and put some on and never had to worry about it again.

Edited by Blue-Jay

I’ve seen them inside shocks before. The rubber will hold up to the oil.

I think the smaller diameter of the aluminum spacer will eventually eat into the rubber, you’d want to have a washer to spread the load across the whole bumper. Maybe just make the aluminum space bigger or add another piece. Aluminumspacers.com

Posted (edited)

It so cool how fully adjustable these shocks are. The internal spacer and bumper gave me a 25 degree max CV angle. It will go a little more if the rubber compresses but I’m going to strap it as well. That gave just enough axle free play and thats really what I was after. The car also hit the skid when bottomed out. Different problem so I added a jounce bumper previously but it still was too close to the ground. On the advise of Fodrills  I made a spacer to go under the bottom out bump pads and now I have my frame/skid ground clearance just right. Spacers made from the caps off aluminum hydraulic cylinders and is why they have an oring left on them. Lol

92CC2C28-1FC3-4F55-B14A-0E2111806ED4.thumb.jpeg.1e7d6196d819d4ff95adfdeb7ad3498d.jpeg

Now my skid is 4” off the deck that is until the tires squish but thats what you want.  Fwiw I revalved the shocks as as well.  I wanted to bring back a smidge of tightness back to the handling that I lost with the flutter shim and I wanted to slow compression a tad on the monster hits. The smallest or high speed shim was replaced with the next size stiffer for the big hits and the largest shim was replace with one size stiffer for the handling.  So easy a cave man could do it. 

Edited by stumpalump