We first need to know what color your fuel pump is. 

23 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

We first need to know what color your fuel pump is. 

I completely understand why you’re asking this question. If it’s black, it’s negative. For example a cable connected to the negative side of a battery is usually black.  Any other color would therefore be positive. 

This really helps. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

I completely understand why you’re asking this question. If it’s black, it’s negative. For example a cable connected to the negative side of a battery is usually black.  Any other color would therefore be positive. 

This really helps. Thanks. 

Great information 👍.      10

8 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

So is it still a torsion tube if there is no torsion bar inside of it?

BTW my SU mid has an anti-sway tube just above my torsion tube, minus a torsion bar, but has an anti-sway bar inside the anti-sway tube. 

So my set up is an anti-sway bar minus a torsion bar.  Obviously two negatives make a positive, so I must have a torsion tube in my car.  

However, it is a mid engine so maybe I don’t have a torsion tube.   The two negatives which were positive are inverted and become a negative because it’s mid engine means that I don’t have a torsion tube. 

Somebody please help. 

Before I answer that, I need to know if a horse is a horse, of course of course, but no one can really talk to a horse, how do they talk to Mr. Ed?

Huh: technically you could use the "torsion tube" as a sway bar tube if you had one long torsion bar connection the pivots on both sides (as opposed to splined in the middle like VW did it).  You couldn't run heims, but those of us who still have VW-based suspension could do this easily without having to add additional tubes/etc.  

If one trailing arm is going up and the other is going down isn’t that a torsional effect? 😂

Any updates?  I sure could use a tensioner

1 hour ago, jeffa383 said:

Any updates?  I sure could use a tensioner

Yes, all cleaned up and ready to roll as soon as this trans is assembled.

6B0C1C30-AC63-4DFD-A579-4A124BF6BB8A.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Yes, all cleaned up and ready to roll as soon as this trans is assembled.

6B0C1C30-AC63-4DFD-A579-4A124BF6BB8A.jpeg

Looking good.  👍🏼

On 5/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, J Alper said:

Tensioner. 

Just saying

I may need one plus some other goodies for my engine 

Posted (edited)

just cause I'm trying to get to page 10 I will add my $.02.  a torsion housing having splines in the center of the tube is simply a method of creating a rear spring per side to keep the car at ride height.  they are independent and act alone.  a sway bar connects one arm to the other arm. through a torsional tube, yes but that's the "only" thing they have in common. (the word tosional)  the sway bar has no lifting ability.  its purpose is to raise the inside wheel to prevent sway as the outer wheel is being compressed and allows the car to have less body roll.

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

On a real note, should I have a larger torsion tube installed when I have the engine/trans mounted? Or will this be “overkill” also?

17 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

On a real note, should I have a larger torsion tube installed when I have the engine/trans mounted? Or will this be “overkill” also?

We'll need a few pictures of your engine bay/rear section of the frame along with the outer diameter size and hopefully wall thickness of the "pivot tube".  You might be ok if you just add a couple reinforcing bars in a couple areas and gusset the tabs that hold the rear arms. Just one of many opinions. We can suggest where to put the tubes with the pictures. 

12 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

We'll need a few pictures of your engine bay/rear section of the frame along with the outer diameter size and hopefully wall thickness of the "pivot tube".  You might be ok if you just add a couple reinforcing bars in a couple areas and gusset the tabs that hold the rear arms. Just one of many opinions. We can suggest where to put the tubes with the pictures. 

Should I “make another post” for this topic? Not sure on thickness but, it’s 1.5” tubing

30 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Should I “make another post” for this topic? Not sure on thickness but, it’s 1.5” tubing

I wouldn't. People in here were promised free things at 10 pages. I could surely use a steam port kit 😂

Maybe I’ll ask my fab dude how much it would be to install a beefier torsion... 

1 minute ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

now that's a lot of work....$$$$$

I suppose. I’m not one to flog and beat my cars. Occasional jump and wheelie but nothing drastic 

My metal guy removed the "torsion tube" in my car and relocated it 8" further forward when he did the frame modifications on my car. Without going into the garage and looking I believe mine is a 2" x .120 wall chromoly tube that he installed. basically the whole back end of the car is attached to it. 

Ok I was bored. I'm at 2.5" most likely .120 or thicker and gusseted trailing arm mounts with welded washers. I just love my Mosebilt I guess. 

20190515_222644.jpg

20190515_222713.jpg

Here’s what the end result looked like. It was a huge undertaking to make things line up correctly. Removing and replacing and/or relocating your pivot tube should be left to someone who is very confident in their abilities. 

6919214A-3B32-472A-80BC-9438B3DE8F62.jpeg

F32ADB7B-053B-4EE7-9E98-9A74678C1917.jpeg

Posted (edited)

The trans we installed was just a little bigger than the bus box that came out of it, haha.

7E8F2D8C-6032-4D10-9757-4C3DB39C65D4.jpeg

Edited by fortyfour

Posted (edited)

Tatum 930 midboard hubs to give you (Jonesin') an idea what they are. 

CC1061C8-047C-4DEB-85BE-521C23E7E110.jpeg

Edited by fortyfour

These are the huge bearings of a midboard hub. 

AF94ADF2-AAEB-4021-B6CA-B97580C9A361.jpeg

13 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Here’s what the end result looked like. It was a huge undertaking to make things line up correctly. Removing and replacing and/or relocating your pivot tube should be left to someone who is very confident in their abilities. 

6919214A-3B32-472A-80BC-9438B3DE8F62.jpeg

F32ADB7B-053B-4EE7-9E98-9A74678C1917.jpeg

That is a lot of welding.  Nice job